Could you eat McDonalds as part of a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/
    So I guess that people like myself that eat "garbage" don't have better health than someone like you who eats much better?
    I've eaten it for over 40 years. I must be really dumb.<eye roll>
    To me people who judge how others eat, especially when for some reason they got overweight on "healthier choices", have to get off that high horse.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't personally eat fast food of any kind. I don't particularly like the way it tastes anymore (though I did when I was younger) and the last time I had it (about 3 or 4 years ago) it didn't sit well in my tummy. Plus, I figure if I'm going to use 1000 calories on a meal - I'm gonna get the most bang for my buck (give me steak, crab legs, and cake). I personally don't care if other people choose to consume it - it isn't my place to tell someone else what to eat or not to eat.

What bugs me is when people who do eat fast food decide to judge those of us who don't. I am not a perfect eater by any stretch and I enjoy my share of "processed" food - it just so happens that I don't enjoy fast food.

If you wanna eat it, go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. But, just remember that some of us simply do not like how it tastes or makes us feel and there's NOTHING wrong with us not wanting to eat it either.

I don't mind at all if someone prefers not to eat it. I don't find that anyone says there's anything wrong with you folk that choose not to. It's the other way around on these threads. Usually the people that never eat fast foods are the ones that come on here and tell us we're eating "garbage" and "poison" and I find that offensive. Not talking about you here, you didn't do that, just talking about others..

For me, it is more about how it makes me feel and how I don't enjoy the taste of it than anything else. I used to eat fast food all the time and the last time I got it? I was so sick feeling from it that I just quit eating it cold turkey (this was before I was focused on losing weight too). I just didn't like how it made me feel and I was disappointed in the quality of the food.

I haven't eaten it since. We all have our "vices" - some of us eat fast food, some like expensive coffee and some of us like sweets or chips or whatever. We all decide what we want to spend our calories on each day. For me, I don't want to spend it on something that makes me feel ill. I'd much prefer another piece of cake or other sugary treat (lol). Is it garbage? Or poison? No. Moderation is key, people. Have whatever you like - just EAT IT MODERATION.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i can. i usually eat quite healthy (except for candy and mcdonalds haha), and have a very easy time maintaining. my problem is losing, but as soon as i hit my goal weight, mcdonalds will be back in my heart (or arteries) :love:
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    What amazes me is people are still buying into the entire "McDonalds is poison and unhealthy" bit. Let's do an example shall we:

Example:

One middle aged man (we'll call him Bob) has been eating 3 meals a day of nothing but McDonalds cheeseburgers and fries for the past 3 months, but is eating a calorie deficit and is losing weight at 1-2 lbs per week and he is exercising 3-4 times a week.

versus

One middle aged man (we'll call him Fred) has been eating 3 meals a day everyday for the past 3 months composed of whole foods but is eating a calorie surplus, doesn't exercise, and sits on the couch all day long.

Which of these two men is the unhealthy one?

Healthy and unhealthy is relative to how the body functions...not entirely JUST what some eats or JUST physical activity ... so the answer to your question quite possibly could be Both or Neither. One could have heart disease, or diabetes or both...or any number of ailments that would compromise their level of 'health'.

The quality of foods and exercise, coupled with quantity with enhance or deplete the level of 'health' .. it doesn't define it.

No one can deny that improving one's diet and exercise regime can improve anything from digestion, to metabolism to rid the body of impurities like cholesterol (for instance) to quality of sleep. All these factors will affect the level of health.
  • livnlite
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/

Maybe the meat at McDonnell's is made from rats.

Not sure about McDonald's though. Pretty sure it's chicken.

If they say it's chicken .. it HAS to be chicken. A friend watched a documentary on it one time .. when they 'brewed' up the meat for their chicken mcnuggets. They grind all the meat up, press them into forms and bread them with a breading mixture. Oh, by the way .. they use chicken alright .. EVERYpart of a chicken .. brains, innards, even eyeballs...but, sure as shoot'n it's ALL chicken!

Ever since I heard about this 'process' .. I don't want to even drive in their parking lot. Can't even think about it, without gagging.

What does that have to do with it being healthy or not?

The comment was refering to post about the type of meat ... I thought that was quite obvious. Thus the quote included with the post .... including the comment ... 'chicken isn't real'.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of this, just browsed the first page but I know these two things:

1) It's great it's being done for a cause but there are really better ways to show one's support and work for a cause than purposely poisoning the body.

2) There are some "good" foods at McDonald's (I'm utterly addicted to their brocolli and cheese soup!) but it really isn't just about the calories. That's only one part of it. Even if the one doing this kept the calories low, it's also the type of food, and that type of food is greasy, fattening, and extremely unhealthy and it will affect her body in a lot of negative ways, even if the calorie count is okay.

Fast food is just that - fast food. It's not good, it's not healthy, so really priorities have to be set here. Is the WAY the support is being done worth it? I'm not saying she shouldn't support the cause. I admire that, but personally, I think the way it's being done isn't going to help anybody, especially her.
    McDonald's supports many programs the Olympics and Ronald McDonald House being the biggest two. If you didn't read the WHOLE thread, you'd see that there isn't any clinical proof that having fast food in your diet is detrimental to your health.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't personally eat fast food of any kind. I don't particularly like the way it tastes anymore (though I did when I was younger) and the last time I had it (about 3 or 4 years ago) it didn't sit well in my tummy. Plus, I figure if I'm going to use 1000 calories on a meal - I'm gonna get the most bang for my buck (give me steak, crab legs, and cake). I personally don't care if other people choose to consume it - it isn't my place to tell someone else what to eat or not to eat.

What bugs me is when people who do eat fast food decide to judge those of us who don't. I am not a perfect eater by any stretch and I enjoy my share of "processed" food - it just so happens that I don't enjoy fast food.

If you wanna eat it, go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. But, just remember that some of us simply do not like how it tastes or makes us feel and there's NOTHING wrong with us not wanting to eat it either.
    My point was that it's not the fast food eaters JUDGING the "healthy" eaters choices, it's the other way around. To say that fast food is "garbage" is a slap in the face of those that like to have it as part of their diet. We fast fooders don't say "Eating asparagus makes you pee smell (which it does) and anyone that does it is gross" to spite the "healthy eaters". If someone doesn't like fast food, then that's fine, but don't say it's garbage on a public forum where MANY people do have it as part of their diet. You will find that they will refute.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You can watch the film Supersize Me. It'll show his health condition when it's all done.
    Meh. I bet if the did the same thing the "health condition" would be totally different. Like I said, I've had McDonalds' for over 40 years in my diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There's fast food and then there's fast food. First, it's a really good thing she is doing but I personally would have run a marathon or something ^^
    Second, if you eat supersized meals every day, you gonna be fat and unhealthy no matter what. Even McD now has healthy options.
    Now I personally don't like the Mc anyway, I always have had an aversion against chips and things that have been killed and throuroughly drowened in lots of fat - but that's me. I prefer stuff made from scratch any day. Or stuff with lots of sald and fresh veg in it.

By the way, subways is fastfood as well, a salad is fast food, a doner kebab is fast food.... Fast food is not a term for crappy food, it's a term for food that is done easily, fast and convenient to take along with you

@ninerbuff: there is no proof that it is good for your health to incorperate McD into your diet either...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Second, if you eat supersized meals every day, you gonna be fat and unhealthy no matter what. Even McD now has healthy options.

so if you eat a supersized meal everyday yet still maintained a consistent caloric deficit, you'd still get fat?
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I used to eat McDonalds every single day. Literally. No joke, every day of life. Mostly fries. I never got past 125lbs BUT God knows how much damage was on the inside.
    I still have it every once in a while, again, just fries. I love my taters.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @ninerbuff: there is no proof that it is good for your health to incorperate McD into your diet either...
    Tell that to a starving child or someone on low income. Eating any food is better than no food at all. Also there have been a few people who have ate nothing but junk food, lost weight and had cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure lowered. Look up the nutrition professor who ate Twinkies and Fathead on Netflix.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Can I make a humble request for people to it correctly? The company spells it McDonald's

But we have:
    Mac Donalds
    Macdonalds
    mc.donalds
    Mc'Donalds
    mcdonald
    mcdondalds
    mcdonlads
    mcdonlds
    mcdonells
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/brand/list/379

Sorry for being such a nerd.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Can I make a humble request for people to it correctly? The company spells it McDonald's

But we have:
    Mac Donalds
    Macdonalds
    mc.donalds
    Mc'Donalds
    mcdonald
    mcdondalds
    mcdonlads
    mcdonlds
    mcdonells
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/brand/list/379

Sorry for being such a nerd.

This is one thing in this thread I can agree with.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Tell that to a starving child or someone on low income. Eating any food is better than no food at all. Also there have been a few people who have ate nothing but junk food, lost weight and had cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure lowered. Look up the nutrition professor who ate Twinkies and Fathead on Netflix.

IDEA Fitness member

"Until the naysayers come up with an equally tempting and affordable alternative, maybe they should hold off pontificating about what may well be the most widely consumed entree in history." Barry Glassner, The Gospel of Food
  • livnlite
    Options

so if you eat a supersized meal everyday yet still maintained a consistent caloric deficit, you'd still get fat?

There are a few factors involved in how a person 'gets fat'. It's not specifically linked to what a person eats. Two people can eat exactly the same items. One may gain, and other won't. Their metabolism may handle it completely different.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There are a few factors involved in how a person 'gets fat'. It's not specifically linked to what a person eats. Two people can eat exactly the same items. One may gain, and other won't. Their metabolism may handle it completely different.

that wasn't my question, i asked if you maintained a consistent caloric deficit yet ate supersized meals everyday, would you get fat.
  • livnlite
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

"Until the naysayers come up with an equally tempting and affordable alternative, maybe they should hold off pontificating about what may well be the most widely consumed entree in history." Barry Glassner, The Gospel of Food

The disscussion in this thread is about whether or not McDonalds food is a healthy choice. The consensus is NO.. it is not a healthy choice. Again ... No one can claim otherwise.

Of course, you can eat the food .. It's a free country...but after reading the ingredients published by McDonald's themselves, the foods are high in calories, fat, sodium etc etc etc. We all know and understand what that kind of food can do to the body if consumed on a regular basis.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The disscussion in this thread is about whether or not McDonalds food is a healthy choice. The consensus is NO.. it is not a healthy choice. Again ... No one can claim otherwise.

Of course, you can eat the food .. It's a free country...but after reading the ingredients published by McDonald's themselves, the foods are high in calories, fat, sodium etc etc etc. We all know and understand what that kind of food can do to the body if consumed on a regular basis.

What's your definition of "regular basis"?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

that wasn't my question, i asked if you maintained a consistent caloric deficit yet ate supersized meals everyday, would you get fat.

Interested in this too. The other day I ate a quarter pounder with cheese but was under my maintenance cals by 500. Am I gonna be fat?
  • livnlite
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What's your definition of "regular basis"?

"Regular Basis" was a poor choice of words .. try this instead ...
    Often .. daily ... more than occassional..makes up a majority of one's diet.