Level 1 of the 30 day Shred - Open Group

Options

Replies

• oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Today was day 1 for me and I completed it without stopping. I really want to do 30 days straight and it's only 20 minutes so no excuses for me. I used 3lb weights...maybe that's too puny, but I'll wait and see how I feel tomorrow :wink:

Off to take "before" measurements!
  • slr622
    slr622 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi everyone, can I join, too? I'm new to MFP, just joined yesterday and found this group as I'm exploring the site a bit more. I'm a bit ahead on the Shred (completed 10 days of level one and just started level two today) but I plan on starting over again nearly as soon as I finish this 30 day round.

I read through all the posts and would love to share all of your support! I went through so many of the exact things everyone is describing - feeling almost too sore to move after day 3, then having all the soreness suddenly disappear on day 4, feeling super strong days 5, 6, 7...

Level two was pretty brutal today, I had sweat dripping everywhere! But, it is such a great feeling to be pushed - I know I would never put myself through this without Jillian Michaels pushing me...

Really wishing I had taken "before" photos. I didn't even weigh myself when I started, not wanting to see the number. So, unfortunately I really can't give any progress reports other than that I feel great. Some of my clothes are loosening up a bit, just hoping to see good progress by Christmas (I should be through the rest of my 19 days by then, as long as I don't take any extended breaks).

Anyway, I'm going to weigh myself in the morning so I can report future progress :) Good luck to everyone, can't wait to share in one another's successes!
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome new comers! Glad to have you on board :)
  • rosiebug
    rosiebug Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, slr622 & oldsoul918!

Made it through Day 5 of Level 1! I feel like I'm making progress slowly but surely. I tried what some others suggested and did my 2nd set of pushups on the wall. I can usually make it through the 1st set ok, but after the shoulder presses, it wipes out my arm strength. I was able to do them all that way, which I feel is better than me giving up after 2 or 3 on the 2nd set.
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Day 5, Level 1: Another day down :) I did it a little later at night this time after going to bed late, getting up at 5am and writing an exam today. I wanted to do it, but I did find my energy was a bit less tonight. One nice thing about this group is in addition to not wanting to let myself down, I didn't want to let you guys down either by falling behind. So, I pushed through it and am looking forward to Day 6 tomorrow. Getting very excited to measure and share my Level 1 progress with you. Half way there :)
  • jvinmill
    Options
    For those of you doing push ups on the wall, don't forget to once and a while see if you can do them on the floor or see if your endurance improves on the floor. It is all about pushing ourselves. When I first started doing push ups, I could barely do one. Starting this program I could only get through the first set and had to do girl push ups on the second. Today I almost got through both sets entirely without reverting to girl push ups on the second set. It is amazing how quickly our bodies can change and adapt :)
  • sbb4406
    Options
    I can't even do girl pushups! I don't think I've ever done them correctly because I've never felt anything happening in my arms doing them, and when I tried normal push ups I couldn't get back up lol. At least I feel something with the wall pushups. It sucks because I hate moving past a level when I can't do everything in it, but I don't think I'll be ready for normal push ups in a reasonable amount of time. I also can't use my 3 lbs weights on the squat presses or side lunges, so for now I'm using the 1 lbs weighted gloves I have for kickboxing. I know I'd get better results if I just tried to push through with 3 lbs, but my arms are unbelievably weak xD

In other news... I'm a little disappointed because I didn't exercise at all today. I'm not sure why, but I was totally exhausted. I just woke up from a 5 hour "nap" but it's a little bit late to start now lol (almost 1 am)
  • jvinmill
    Options
    SB, as long as you're pushing yourself to your limit, I bet you'll see great results! And I wouldn't worry too much about missing a day. Sometimes rest is just what our body needs :)
    I can't even do girl pushups! I don't think I've ever done them correctly because I've never felt anything happening in my arms doing them, and when I tried normal push ups I couldn't get back up lol. At least I feel something with the wall pushups. It sucks because I hate moving past a level when I can't do everything in it, but I don't think I'll be ready for normal push ups in a reasonable amount of time. I also can't use my 3 lbs weights on the squat presses or side lunges, so for now I'm using the 1 lbs weighted gloves I have for kickboxing. I know I'd get better results if I just tried to push through with 3 lbs, but my arms are unbelievably weak xD

In other news... I'm a little disappointed because I didn't exercise at all today. I'm not sure why, but I was totally exhausted. I just woke up from a 5 hour "nap" but it's a little bit late to start now lol (almost 1 am)
  • Ms_NewNew
    Ms_NewNew Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Soooooo....I recently moved and as I was soo excited to start my 30 days last night....I got home and I could not find the DVD....my feelings were so hurt...Im staying motivated and buying the dvd today or Friday....ugh......
  • jvinmill
    Options
    No problem Mrs. New. We're not going anywhere :) Today and tomorrow are not that far away...
    Soooooo....I recently moved and as I was soo excited to start my 30 days last night....I got home and I could not find the DVD....my feelings were so hurt...Im staying motivated and buying the dvd today or Friday....ugh......
  • rosiebug
    rosiebug Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So this doesn't have anything to do with the actual workout, but today at work we had a meeting down in our lower level conference room. Afterwards I climbed back up both flights of stairs with ease, not even remotely out of breath! Dare I say even with a little bounce in my step? I think 30DS is improving my overall physical endurance very quickly! Can't wait for day 6 later tonight!
  • dcrater
    dcrater Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 4 here today and I'm not feeling as sore or as winded. Although, I had to stop side lunges because I had sharp shooting pain in knee this morning. It has not subsided :( So sad, resting it now and taking a ton of Aleve to help remedy this situation. Don't wait to stop, I'm so motivated right now. Thanks everyone for the support!!
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    Day 5 done...but struggled tonight.

I haven't eaten enough today and boy did it show when I did the workout, I found it very hard. Not intentionally down on calories, just a manic day of grabbing food on the go and wolfing it down. I need to have more in the house like nuts or crispbreads and cheese so I can make up my calories when I get home.

Over and out from Wales x
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    So this doesn't have anything to do with the actual workout, but today at work we had a meeting down in our lower level conference room. Afterwards I climbed back up both flights of stairs with ease, not even remotely out of breath! Dare I say even with a little bounce in my step? I think 30DS is improving my overall physical endurance very quickly! Can't wait for day 6 later tonight!

It's crazy how quickly our bodies can change, you must have felt so great leaping up those stairs : )
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Day 4, Done! I have to say that today felt easier than the past few days. That's encouraging! I was sweating pretty good, so I think that's good. I feel like I know what's coming up next so I don't have to focus on learning it, I have to focus on doing it all as hard as I can. Anyway, I can't wait to see the end result!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of level one today (i did one day of level 2 this week to see what it was about). I'm going to start on level 2 officially tomorrow and I'm kind of dreading it - its tough - lots of plank position and a few things I would have struggled with when my core was super strong a few years ago, but I know I need to push myself harder and I need some variation. I love the forums because knowing that people out there are going through the same thing as me is great.

Kind of a funny thing....today my co-worker (a 30 year old male) joined me for the workout and he was dying. Granted he was using 8 lb weights, but even he was on his knees doing girl push ups : ) I also made it through all of the bicycle crunches while he was collapsing in a heap on the floor. It made me feel good and we decided to do daily workouts - he's training for a tough mudder.
  • slr622
    Options
    @juliep, I share your feelings exactly of level two - all those plank moves are very challenging for me! Makes me dread the workout more. I've gone through 21 days and then 18 days of Shred in the past and I have found that level three is my favorite with level one a a close second and I can't stand level two, lol! Great job, tho, getting a guy to workout with you! I want my husband to try it (he keeps complaining about needing to get in shape but wont do anything about it). I bet it felt pretty good to show him up a little ;)

I felt pretty depressed this morning when I weighed myself - I'm four pounds heavier than my estimate, and the really sad part is that I was being generous with myself when I came up with my estimate weight :( I know I need to be eating better but that is my biggest stumbling block... I guess all I can do is take it a day at a time, put in my workouts, and do my best with food...

Oh, and I'm sore again now that I moved up to level two! It may sound odd, but I sort of like the sore feeling, lets me know I'm accomplishing *something*
    I'm on Day 9 of level one today (i did one day of level 2 this week to see what it was about). I'm going to start on level 2 officially tomorrow and I'm kind of dreading it - its tough - lots of plank position and a few things I would have struggled with when my core was super strong a few years ago, but I know I need to push myself harder and I need some variation. I love the forums because knowing that people out there are going through the same thing as me is great.

Kind of a funny thing....today my co-worker (a 30 year old male) joined me for the workout and he was dying. Granted he was using 8 lb weights, but even he was on his knees doing girl push ups : ) I also made it through all of the bicycle crunches while he was collapsing in a heap on the floor. It made me feel good and we decided to do daily workouts - he's training for a tough mudder.
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I want to start off by saying how proud I am of all of you and all that you're accomplishing. Moreover, I am proud of how well all of you are supporting one another. This has turned into a great little support group that I really look forward to logging into. For me this has been a GREAT day... but, it has nothing to do with exercise. My boyfriend managed to get us free tickets to tonight's hockey game (Vancouver Canuck vs. Predators) and we were only 7 seats away from the ice. It was a fantastic game!! But, I am home now and tired from all the excitement... so, I am sorry to say that I won't be completing day 6 today. Hats off to everyone that is keeping up. I will join the fight again tomorrow. Goodnight :)
  • slr622
    Options
    @jvinmill - Good for you for enjoying a much deserved day off! It sounds like you truly enjoyed yourself, and really, we all need that fun and relaxation to help keep us motivated and going strong. You are doing great!

I just finished level two day three and phew! am I ever whipped. My energy levels are way down today. Three different times I had to take 3-5 second breathers and I know that some of my moves suffered because I just didn't have any umph today. I'm wondering if I am going through some of the same changes I experienced during level one. It seems like day three level one was pretty tough, too, and that was when I was the most sore, too. Really hoping that is what's going on and tomorrow I'll feel super strong again :)

I am trying to get through from here to the end of my 30 days without taking any more time off. It will definitely be challenging (especially on weekends when my husband is home) but I want to complete the program before things get crazy for the holidays. I'll still do workouts when I can fit it in but I want to make sure I get this round under my belt... So here we go for 17 days of Shred!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Day 1 level 2 is officially done and it wasn't as bad as the last time I tried it. I knew to follow Anita even when I felt like I could push a bit harder (knowing that the third circuit would kill me helped me pace myself). Circuit 1 was no problem. Circuit 2 - i do not like the cardio at all, I feel like I just keep tripping over my own feet : ) Circuit 3 is a killer - especially that last set of abs. I did try to focus on keeping my form and resting when it was falling apart - I don't want to hurt myself. I feel great now and know it will get easier after tomorrow. Keep up the great work ladies!