What do you tell yourself to finish your workout?

Replies

• woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    For me, starting is the problem. Not really finishing.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    I watch a movie or a tv show. Then my 40 mins is up before I even realize its been that long :)

Me too. I have to be distracted by something other than my own breathing. Music might work one day, but maybe not the next. I'm glad I have my iPad.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    HAHA. Well I have an embarrassing motivator.

Six months ago I was experiencing anxiety severely. But at the time I didn't know the symptoms were that. I just thought it was a phase and would pass. Well I was given Rx for Xanax and used that only when I was my worst.

Then I had a bright idea (feeling fine this day with no anxiety -- and forgetting) to ask someone to dinner who I had heard about through a friend. Long story short, it was a blind date. And it jsut so happened, that day my anxiety flared on a Saturday. I couldn't find the last pill I had. So I asked an RN friend of mine if she had just a single, to get me through until Monday when the physician I was seeing was back. She said to me that I could take a Paxil as a PRN. Well, I trusted her advice, took it. I should add on an empty stomach cause I lost my appetite.

Needless to say the events of that night didn't go as I intended. AT ALL. Paxil is not to be used like Xanax. I made an *kitten* of myself, couldn't engage in convo, was distracted, jittery, jaded. I was a mess. So after that experience when the Paxil wore of some 30 hours later. I recognized I had a problem. So I kicked the anxiety out in matter of days, and dedicated to getting myself to my prime in all areas of my life.

So flash forward today. That motivation is still firing strong. Anytime I think to myself I can slack, I just remind myself if I ever want that night to happen again. And the answer is a loud NO.

It was really innocent in how it all happened.

I will never take another pill for anxiety in my life. But the plus side is I am fitter than ever been, healthier. And I have an experience that keeps me motivated.
  • "nobody else is going to do this for you - don't cheat yourself!"
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    No struggle, no progress

-and/or-

You don't finish when you're tired, you finish when you're done!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    For me i put on a 'power' song.... you know the song that for you no matter what gets you moving.
    I put it on and challenge myself to keep moving till the track is done.
    Sometimes that pushes me to go longer too!
    This is what I do too.
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 691 Member
    Stop being a f***ing baby and just get it done, ten more minutes is NOTHING!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    I think of all the people who have donated to the marathon I'm running in my best friend's memory (raising money for a cancer hospital & research center)... it's hard to give up when I think that I'm running because she can't.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    I tell myself, JUST ONE MORE LAP! and JUST ONE MORE LAP! and then my ocd kicks in... can't leave a mile, calorie burned or time at an odd number or close to a significant number...

L
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    That if I don't finish my goal, I will be disappointed in myself all day!
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    I just think that people must think I'm really soft to be doing such little workout given that i'm young and relatively fit. I can't work out like an average person, I need to be extra ordinary!! I try to push out whatever I got!!
  • I always tell myself that __ minutes is not too long, and that working out is better than watching TV for that period of time. Puts it into perspective how quickly time can go when sat doing nothing,
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!
    This worked for me this morning. it was hard getting statrted, but once i wsa on the bike just kept telling myself "I can do ANYTHING for another --- minutes"
    Thanks
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I start asking myself how bad do I want things...

example: how bad do you want to see 159. How bad do you want to be healthy when you conceive? How bad do you want to finally not cry during bathing suit shopping? Works every time.

Or, if I feel myself slacking when I shouldn't be, a simple "you're better than this" helps kick me back into gear. And I've also set a goal of wanting to burn over 300 calories at least.
  • angiek2322
    angiek2322 Posts: 68 Member
    10 minutes until my coffee
    5 minutes until my coffee
    3 minutes until my coffee

:laugh:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    i have put my workouts pre-meal. don't know if this is the best way to do it, but basically, i tell myself just get through this and then we can eat. lol.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    I TRY not to look at the time but if I do I just tell myself, "Only __ mins left u can do it" or as far as keeping my mind off the time I make myself mini goals to do, Like- "if I can do these last couple mins lets see how many more miles or cal's I can get done in that time" This pushes me not only to work harder but for at least that goal that I set. Good Luck, hope this helps!

PS- One of my friends told me this and it is stuck in my head forever..... "you'll never regret working out but you will regret NOT working out!"
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Earlier this year I took a self defense course taught by some Navy SEALs. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, especially the mental aspects of it. Now, whenever I'm in the middle of doing something hard, I say to myself "I finished that course, so I can easily do this!". It ALWAYS works for me. I think if you have something you've done in the past that was very difficult, and you got through it, you can use it for motivation.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    A few things I tell myself when it gets HARD:

1. It's all in your head, it's all in your head...
    2. That pain is my body transforming.
    3. One hour a day is NOTHING - totally manageable and doable, so just DO IT!

I also stare at my flabby inner thighs and belly and visualize them literally shrinking with every jump, kick and punch.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I think, "Piece of cake!!" or "I LOVE hills!" OR "I can do this for (insert time is left)!"