Gym/Locker Room Etiquette

Options
12346»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    -people need to clean the machines off after using them!
    -I cant stand when I can hear someone's music (headphone) when they are 5 treadmills down from me. Are you Deaf?!
    -Was at the gym one day & this lady was on the stair climber & she was literally moaning! It was very awkward in there...
    -Girls who plaster their faces with make up to work out. I'm sorry, but for me.. when I go tot he gym. I am NOT going there to impress anyone!

I love moaners when I'm all hot and sweaty . . . just not at the gym.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I clean the treadmill but not aways the free weight stuff. Oddly enough, I clean the actual free weight bar because during deadlifts, it gets slipperly.

This thread reminds me that I need to wipe down the bench sometimes.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As a person who's gotten dirty looks and being stared at at the gym while working out, I'd like to add as Locker Room Etiquette:

I'm here to get healthier, you giving me dirty looks will only make me want to stay home and hide. Don't be a ****, fat people are people too. I know a 385 lb woman working out might be funny to SOME people but grow up and mind your own business.

That's my two cents on locker room etiquette. :P

I totally agree, they're stupid for throwing you dirty looks like that. Seriously! *******

Hahah Thanks, hun. :) I love it when people are like "No one is looking at other people when they go to the gym, they're too into what they are doing to notice other people" - to that I say: Walk a mile in my shoes, that will change your mind about that pretty quickly. lol When you weigh what I do a lot of things change. The dirty looks and stares got so bad that I almost stopped going to the gym altogether. I guess it doesn't matter now, I've since moved and now that I live out here in California I can no longer afford a gym membership. lol But it's all good, I'm working out at home now.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a cheap gym and I remember ALL of the complaints that are mentioned here. ALL OF THEM. But now I go to a really expensive gym and none of this stuff happens. Big difference! You get what you pay for.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'd be very happy that you are there! You are making a difference!
    As a person who's gotten dirty looks and being stared at at the gym while working out, I'd like to add as Locker Room Etiquette:

I'm here to get healthier, you giving me dirty looks will only make me want to stay home and hide. Don't be a ****, fat people are people too. I know a 385 lb woman working out might be funny to SOME people but grow up and mind your own business.

I totally agree, they're stupid for throwing you dirty looks like that. Seriously! *******

Hahah Thanks, hun. :) I love it when people are like "No one is looking at other people when they go to the gym, they're too into what they are doing to notice other people" - to that I say: Walk a mile in my shoes, that will change your mind about that pretty quickly. lol When you weigh what I do a lot of things change. The dirty looks and stares got so bad that I almost stopped going to the gym altogether. I guess it doesn't matter now, I've since moved and now that I live out here in California I can no longer afford a gym membership. lol But it's all good, I'm working out at home now.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Awww, thank you, Cora! :D That's sweet of you to say!
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    How come some guys at the gym when lifting they grunt like they are having an orgasm? it sounds like they are having sex ahhhhhhh then boom goes the weights.

Did they just have erection?
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    - Hogging machines, especially cables is a pain to deal with (although I've never been shot down when asking to work in)
    - Talking on the cell phone, or texting, or talking right next to me
    - Competitive people (excluding like training partners) - everyone is different, there is generally always someone faster or stronger unless your usain bolt or ronnie coleman - so check the attitude, everyone has to start somewhere
    - People working out in jeans
    - Not cleaning / Deracking equipment <--- biggest pet peeve as this is just courtesy and there is no reason not to

Things I'm Guilty of:
    - I occasionally dance between sets, especially if Flo-Rida comes on my ipod
    - I bring pharm/micro notes to study between sets, or when i do my warm up - but i don't know if this actually bothers people
    - I'll admit it, I'm a guy - if a girl looks good i will def give a glance :ohwell: my apology, i try not to only cause I'm sure it makes women self conscious. But in my defense a lot of times i'm looking because either a) I am noticing someone is making good progress which is always good b) your doing some weird exercise that I think is actually cool and I want to try it - but yeah I'm sure it is a pain for a lot of women
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Everyone starts somewhere - nobody walks into fitness ripped, it's a journey for everyone and they are arrogant if they think they have some 'entitlement' to working out
  • StacySkinny
    Options

Everyone starts somewhere - nobody walks into fitness ripped, it's a journey for everyone and they are arrogant if they think they have some 'entitlement' to working out

I totally agree. I wish more people would see it this way.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    After you are finished with your weights, bosu ball, medicine ball, etc. put it back where it belongs. I am tired of walking around trying to find out where something is or tripping over things. I don't like someone draping their sweaty towel on a bench and leave it there the entire time they are working out on other pieces of equipment.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I honestly hate the streakers in the locker room. Okay, so you're naked. We get it. It becomes annoying though when you have to constantly see people walking around in the buff.

Once while sitting in the sauna at the downtown YMCA, this woman entered naked as the day she was born. It was extremely quiet already, but it felt like time stopped altogether when she whipped out a bottle of body wash and began to rub herself all over while making these... grunting noises and bending over---her tush was aimed right in my direction. I wasn't sure whether to make small talk, or wait until it passed...which felt like eternity.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    * My gym has mirrors set up in the free weight area. They are not to check your hair/muscles/*kitten* ect. I use them to check my form. Don't stand in front of me!

* I went to a gym where you could book time on the cardio machines by prebooking on the whiteboard behind it. This really sucked. People would book the elliptical at four, the treadmill at four twenty and the stair climber at quarter to five. So it was pretty useless to even try to do cardio unless you pre booked. Also there was an hour limit on use. So you could technically prebook for an hour, an hour before you wanted to use it, and tie the machine up for an hour and a half. Ya, had to stop using that gym. People would pretty much prebook a circuit of cardio. Unless you only wanted to do twenty minutes, you were sure to get kicked off. Very rudely usually.

Here is one especially for those of you on here who complain about girls dressing up for the gym -

* Don't judge me for wearing cute clothes, makeup, ect. I try to look good at all times. I went to the hospital to give birth with a full face of makeup on. Why can't I work out looking cute too. I don't judge others who look like however they want. I don't wear a sports bra either, I wear a really good, real bra. Get over it. I can't find a sports bra that holds the girls the way my best bra does. It doesn't affect how I work out. I still work hard, use good form and lift what I should.

* Don't look down your nose at what others are doing. We all have different desired outcomes, different sports/lifestyles we are training for. I used to have these muscle heads that would judge me for not lifting heavy enough. I really liked and continue to like the body I get from doing what I do.

While on this subject, don't look down on unfit or overweight people. Whatever they are doing, no matter how easy it looks, is probably much harder for them at this point than your super heavy lifts, HIIT of whatever you are doing.

* Yes I text on the machines. Get over it. I also read the news. It doesn't hurt you, it never will.

* Be concientious of your use of space, and machines ect. A lot of people won't tell you that you are hogging the entire stretching area or other area. They will just silently curse you.

I think that's about it.... :S

• nightwyrm
    Options
    I'm relatively new to gyms and wouldn't say I'm particularly conservative, but the guys casually strolling around the locker room naked is taking some getting used to. It only took one fleshy, bent-over bare butt in my face to quickly learn to use the top lockers.

Side note: one of my mates on Twitter once walked in on a guy in the locker room blow-drying his todger...

As for the gym floor, hoggers, non-wipers, and grunters annoy me too. I also don't understand the ones who read on a cardio machine, though nothing beats the woman I saw once drinking a coffee while taking a leisurely stroll on the treadmill (even the trainers looked at her askew).
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My gym is actually pretty great, I work out in the women's section and it's quite big so there is never a wait for machines or anything. I do get aggravated when people don't wipe down the machines.

I use my phone when I'm on the elliptical but it's to listen to music or watch tv/movie... My gym has 3 TVs on the wall, I'm a girl yes, but this does not mean I want to watch Desperate Housewives, 19 kids and counting, and what not to wear while I'm working out!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    My gym is actually pretty great, I work out in the women's section and it's quite big so there is never a wait for machines or anything. I do get aggravated when people don't wipe down the machines.

I use my phone when I'm on the elliptical but it's to listen to music or watch tv/movie... My gym has 3 TVs on the wall, I'm a girl yes, but this does not mean I want to watch Desperate Housewives, 19 kids and counting, and what not to wear while I'm working out!

My choices for viewing in the morning are Fox News or ESPN w/closed captioning. Kinda bums me out to be honest. I really wish they would put on the 6 ABC morning news out of Philly. They have it on in the locker rooms but not out in the gym. It's odd.

I always lay a towel down on the bench or mat that I'm using and give the cardio stuff a wipedown. Too many horror stories about contracting MRSA or ringworm from the gym. *shudders*
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    All this talk of wiping down machines makes me blush at the stoopid that i did the other day - I sweated it out on a treadmill for half an hour, then decided to move to a bike.. got on it already sweaty, got off it and it was gross, went to get some cleaning stuff - left my towel and bottle on the bike... came back wiped it down.. then thought ".... where's my towel?" which is when I looked to the machine beside the one I'd just cleaned.. then behind me to the other gym regular on a treadmill cracking up at me.. haha :laugh:

Aah well, both the bikes ended up nice and clean :tongue:
  • DiscipleN2k
    DiscipleN2k Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How come some guys at the gym when lifting they grunt like they are having an orgasm? it sounds like they are having sex ahhhhhhh then boom goes the weights.

Did they just have erection?

I honestly did this a lot when I did powerlifting in high school. I see it as something like the kiai in martial arts. At the very least, it forces you to breathe through the movement so you don't black out from holding your breath. But there does seem to be something about the grunting (or the weird growl/scream thing that I end up doing), even if it's purely psychological, that helps me to squeeze a bit more power out of my muscles when they've hit their limit.

As for the other pet peeves, I can totally understand being irritated at discourteous behavior (leaving sweaty equipment, not racking weights, etc.), since they directly impact your experience at the gym. But I don't get why people are bothered by the other stuff. What does it matter if someone wants to text while they're walking on the treadmill (as long as they have their phone silenced) or shows up to the gym in jeans. It's silly and impractical, sure, but it's their choice. Things like that can only bother you if you let them.
  • JoggingJeans
    Options
    Exercising in jeans is always wrong (and a little funny). That is why I made a whole blog dedicated to it: joggingjeans.com