Replies

• jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling a lot lately and think this could really help. I love the idea of seeing the deficit every day and knowing exactly where I stand. Thanks for sharing.....gonna give this a try :)
  • Brookelee30
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I've been going at 1200 cals/day for a while now and haven't been losing much (rarely ever over half a pound a week for the past few weeks!) so I think I'm gonna change it up and eat a little more ;]
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    To Much to read everything but I thought this would help some!!

English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I hope this helps someone...
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Trying this out today. Love seeing what i have left as aposed to my "restriction". I was hungry all day.. so admittedly ate more than my BMR of 1757.. so this is what it ending up looking like

Totals 1,933 225 53 110
    Your Daily Goal 3,006 300 82 263
    Remaining 1,073 75 29 153
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    *You've earned 722 extra calories from exercise today

Please tell me that is right??

Close, but you really should keep the "remaining" calories to at or below 1,000.
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    So I set my MFP calorie goal to 1924.
    I aim to eat at least 1500 - 1600 calories per day, regardless of exercise, but definitely no less than 1480.
    If I burn more than 556 through exercise on a given day, I should eat at least the surplus calories. So if I burn 800 calories through exercise, I would want to eat at least 244 calories above my goal of 1500 - so at least 1744.

This is the part that confuses me.. I understand it all EXCEPT how you came up with the number you figure to eat.. I subtracted and did all kinds of math and could not understand how you decided to eat 1500-1600 a day... Please try to explain this part in more detail..
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    So I set my MFP calorie goal to 1924.
    I aim to eat at least 1500 - 1600 calories per day, regardless of exercise, but definitely no less than 1480.
    If I burn more than 556 through exercise on a given day, I should eat at least the surplus calories. So if I burn 800 calories through exercise, I would want to eat at least 244 calories above my goal of 1500 - so at least 1744.

This is the part that confuses me.. I understand it all EXCEPT how you came up with the number you figure to eat.. I subtracted and did all kinds of math and could not understand how you decided to eat 1500-1600 a day... Please try to explain this part in more detail..

This part I actually understand LOL - in Step 1 she figured out her BMR is 1480, and she uses that as a bare minimum to always eat at least that amount to keep her body happy basically. She shoots for 1500-1600 but absolutely never goes under the 1480 BMR.
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Help please!

I'd like to give this a try. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'3" and I've been yoyo-ing b/t 160-162 for the past couple weeks. I'm wondering if this will work for me if. I'm pretty sedentary at work, but I work out 4-5 days a week and I try to average 1000 calories burned/workout. I don't usually eat over 1500 calories a day and on days that I don't work out I try not to exceed the 1200 calories given by MFP.

I've done the calculations, but what do I do with them? Should I make any other adjustments due to my exercise?

Here are my numbers:
    BMR: 1374
    Maintainance: 1786
    Exercise Calories: 588
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    Olivia, Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been doing this for over almost 2 weeks now and I've finally broke a plateau I've had for over 2 months. I think just having a set number of calories is best for me. While I do exercise everyday, I rarely get to the point where I need to eat back the calories. Eating within a 100 (1400-1500) calorie point range of my BMR is perfect for me. Before I was at 1290 and given my job and commute and family life I was never sure if I could get all my exercise in during the day, which meant I wasn't sure what I could have for dinner until the last minute (eating back calories). Now I just plan on the set amount.
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    Ok so if my BMR=2010.25
    and my Maint. is 2613

I just eat at least 2010 which gives me a def. of 600, so I should workout to burn 400 more calories a day to have 1000 def. and lose 2lbs. a week?? Is that right??
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Help please!

I'd like to give this a try. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'3" and I've been yoyo-ing b/t 160-162 for the past couple weeks. I'm wondering if this will work for me if. I'm pretty sedentary at work, but I work out 4-5 days a week and I try to average 1000 calories burned/workout. I don't usually eat over 1500 calories a day and on days that I don't work out I try not to exceed the 1200 calories given by MFP.

I've done the calculations, but what do I do with them? Should I make any other adjustments due to my exercise?

Here are my numbers:

You set your MFP goal to 1786.
    You eat 1374 per day minimum.
    If you exercise and burn 588 or less, you do not have to eat your exercise calories.
    If you exercise and burn more than 588, you eat the extra calories above 588.
    That is unless you are hungry and don't mind the smaller deficit.
    Never let your green number be more than 1000.
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Ok so if my BMR=2010.25
    and my Maint. is 2613

I just eat at least 2010 which gives me a def. of 600, so I should workout to burn 400 more calories a day to have 1000 def. and lose 2lbs. a week?? Is that right??

Right.

You set your MFP goal to 2613.
    You eat 2010 per day minimum.
    If you exercise and burn 397 or less, you do not have to eat your exercise calories.
    If you exercise and burn more than 397, you eat the extra calories above 397.
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Help please!

Here are my numbers:

If you exercise and burn 588 or less, you do not have to eat your exercise calories.
    Thanks! One other question...where should my cals be on days that I don't work out?
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Help please!

Here are my numbers:

Thanks! One other question...where should my cals be on days that I don't work out?

1374, you will just have a smaller deficit that day.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    BUMP!