Replies

• runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    nope .. cant help ya with this one ..
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Probably b/c they don't want unsolicited advice. If your diary is public or open to your friends, you're inviting comments. Some people just don't want those comments. ;-)
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Same reason why some people keep the lights off during sex...comes to down to feeling comfortable and admitting to your bad eating habits, some people take critique badly others not so much.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Because they have a right to privacy, and they are using it. :) It took me a while to open mine up to my friends. Even now, I'm kind of afraid to log my naughty days for fear of criticism...
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Same reason why some people keep the lights off during sex...comes to down to feeling comfortable and admitting to your bad eating habits, some people take critique badly others not so much.

Hahahahahaha.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Some people are overly nasty and critical. I have mine private, but the lights are definitely on. :-)
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can explain as I have mine private.. I don't even track my food in it any more. I can't handle someone looking over my shoulder and commenting on my food choices. I have food issues.. I know this, so I save myself the time and trouble. Let me change that, I've had food issues that I've worked very hard to get over. I know if I (or someone else) starts watching my every bite I could go back to old, bad habits. I make sure I eat healthy foods and listen to my body and go by when it tells me I'm hungry. I mainly come here to read for the motivation to continue that. I get ideas for exercise and can read over new receipes. What keeps me on track is being here with others who are motivated and doing the right thing.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....

They DO! I have friends who finish their day, and then people start saying, "you need to eat more" "you should stop eating so much ______" "you really ought to lay off the sodium" "maybe you should cut back on processed foods" etc. You name it, they've said it-unsolicited!
  • sahmed15
    sahmed15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I didn't know my food diary was private until my friend told me a few days later. Maybe no one's mentioned it to them...?

It's probably mostly because they don't want everyone to know what a COUGHfattyCOUGH I mean how unhealthy they were!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

True, and if you're going to ask questions in the general forums it makes sense to make it public so people can make suggestions. Some people either don't ask those public questions or don't offer their diaries up for 'ideas' for others publicly, so no point in making it public if there's no purpose.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're not on the right track eating clean yet and are embarassed to show that they either aren't logging at all, aren't logging everything, or are logging bad things.

IDK, mines public now that I'm awesome!!!! lol
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There are several reasons that I have heard for this - most of them were in response to how someone else reacted to their diary. Some just feel it is none of anybody else's business and others only want to open it up when they want some specific advice. I would think that some people in recovery from ED could be advised not to share while they are working through recovery. That x was under calorie goal and getting congratulations for it could probably hinder progress.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There's probably people on here that wonder why anyone would have it open! :laugh: Why do people get bothered when they can't see what others are eating?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Why is it important to have it public?

I can tell you why mine is private at the moment: I use the notes section to note certain symptoms and things that I don't necessarily want everyone to be able to see. If there was a way to make just the notes section private, I probably would have my log public. But there isn't, so I don't.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There's probably people on here that wonder why anyone would have it open! :laugh: Why do people get bothered when they can't see what others are eating?

Thank you! What the heck difference does it really make?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I used to have mine public, but I don't always track anymore.
    I'm on maintenance and pretty good at guesstimating portions and nutrition at this point, although I track a few days a week to make sure I am staying on track.
    What I do instead is regularly post about what I am eating on my news feed to give others ideas and also admit when I eat unhealthy things (doesn't happen very often) so I stay accountable.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    some people have received some very judgmental unwarranted snide comments and felt it was for the best for them personally...
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain?

I really don't care for strangers to know everything i'm putting in my mouth just a personal choice I suppose. I don't feel a need to have others browse over my food, vitamins, etc. Hope this helps..
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I know someone who was very against my lifestyle change, and I found out he was checking up on me here... so I made everything private. My friends see my diary though :)