why would people feel the need to keep their food diary priv

Options

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....

There was a (quite long) thread posted just last week with someone, passive aggressively, insulting her friend's food choices even though her friend was always under her calorie goal. It happens quite a bit. Its why I keep my diary for friends only and my friends list low.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I think some of you would put a mirror on the ceiling, screw the lights on thing. haha
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private. Number 1 reason is I use the notes section for some personal info. Number 2 I'm accountable for myself, I know the difference between good and bad foods. I don't need someone to point it out to me. As for those stating "people must keep it private because they are ashamed and eating unhealthy" are very wrong and judgemental. That is not at all the case, for me anyway.

I so agree with you!!! Mine is private and I am totally NOT 'ashamed and eating unhealthy'. I'm pretty damn happy with where I'm at in my fitness goals! There is nothing wrong with having your diary open or private...it's just a personal preference.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I know I might take a beating for this comment... but Personally I think it is a little creepy/stalkerish to feel the need to look at another person's food diary, without first asking for suggestions in a forum or something to see where to cut back calories or get more meal suggestions, or to seek advise on your own diary... I feel like a persons food choices are their own choice to make... and if they have a cheat day, then guess what it isn't hurting anyone but them or their own family... If I'm looking for some calorie cutting ideas I check out the recipe forum instead of creeping in other peoples diary personally.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I think some of you would put a mirror on the ceiling, screw the lights on thing. haha
    yeah, and?
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends but not the general public because it's nobody else's business. It's a DIARY, which is something something I've always thought of as private. I don't ask for feedback nor want it unsolicited. I'm not here to provide anyone else ideas, just to keep myself accountable. It's no different than when I tracked my calories in a notebook I kept in my purse, just far more convenient. I log everything, good, bad, and otherwise, and there is no shame involved. Why does it matter to anyone else?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I already do but my diary is still private ;)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    For some people, an open diary makes them more accountable. I'm the opposite. I am totally honest with a private diary, and it works for me. Also, I'm very private and kind of weird.

I'm not ashamed of it, though, and if I ever need help, I will immediately open my diary. I just don't want to start letting what other people might think dictate my logging/eating.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm friends only. I don't like my daily activity getting sucked up by Google, but I don't care if my friends see what I eat/how I exercise.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want anyone thinking I'm making poor food choices when I'm actually just poor. Sometimes I don't have any food at all. I know how to eat and I do quite well when I have food. I just know there will be some days where the only thing I ate was popcorn and I can't do anything about that. No shame here.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why do people assign some type of judgemental meaning to a simple question?

If you have your reasons, go ahead and post them. I don't care that much. Just want to know why.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine is wide open for all to see. I invite comments but honestly, I don't think anyone has anything to say other than 'that sounds good' or 'yummy'. I like to see other diaries to get ideas on things to eat in the future.

I do the same. Mine is open to my friends and I read my friends Diary for food ideas. I have several friends that have lost a ton of weight and I love "Stealing" food options from them when I get bored or in a rut. But I never comment on them. It is not my place to judge.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    This is why mine is private. I am not ashamed of my eating habits and I know I need to eat less processed stuff and I am working on it but having someone tell me feels like I am 6 and my mother is giving me crap for having my hand in the cookie jar so to speak.

If I have questions I make it open so people can see what I am eating but I do not need someone to critique my food when I don't ask.

Wow! I haven't experienced that yet. I wouldn't say crap like that because as long as you're under, you lose weight... and the whole deficit thing. If people eat something tasty, I just say, "Dang, that sounds good!" Or "I'm jealous!" If they said that to me, I'd just roll it off the shoulders. Again, if you can't say something positive, just don't!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    For some people, an open diary makes them more accountable. I'm the opposite. I am totally honest with a private diary, and it works for me. Also, I'm very private and kind of weird.

I'm not ashamed of it, though, and if I ever need help, I will immediately open my diary. I just don't want to start letting what other people might think dictate my logging/eating.
    genius words, right there...
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    I keep mine private. Number 1 reason is I use the notes section for some personal info. Number 2 I'm accountable for myself, I know the difference between good and bad foods. I don't need someone to point it out to me. As for those stating "people must keep it private because they are ashamed and eating unhealthy" are very wrong and judgemental. That is not at all the case, for me anyway.

I so agree with you!!! Mine is private and I am totally NOT 'ashamed and eating unhealthy'. I'm pretty damn happy with where I'm at in my fitness goals! There is nothing wrong with having your diary open or private...it's just a personal preference.

Exactly it's not one fit all. I've lost 80 lbs and I'm damn proud, trust me it's not from eating crap and hiding it in my diary!
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I had mine private for a long time because I was afraid of other people judging me and my choices.... now it's open to my friends on here because they know where I'm at and they say helpful things to me if htey say anything at all! And if someone gets mean about my exercise or food choices then buh-bye to them! :drinker:
  • Lekkie84
    Options
    I'm doing some elimination testing to see what does and doesnt go with my body. So I keep my private because I'm sure people want to hear about stomach issues... just sayin'.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Mine is wide open for all to see. I invite comments but honestly, I don't think anyone has anything to say other than 'that sounds good' or 'yummy'. I like to see other diaries to get ideas on things to eat in the future.
    Or "You are a slave to Trader Joe".
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    Why do people assign some type of judgemental meaning to a simple question?

If you have your reasons, go ahead and post them. I don't care that much. Just want to know why.

Your question or any of your responses weren't judgemental and I answered the question honestly. I stated that the responses stating people with private diaries must be eating badly and are ashamed are judgemental.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Or "You are a slave to Trader Joe".
    That is a common one. :drinker: