why would people feel the need to keep their food diary priv

Options

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    ...because then my friends will know that I eat things like lucky charms and scooby snacks. And that I NEVER drink water ;)

Don't forget the fruit roll ups.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I don't believe there is anyone here who can offer better insight into what I need to be eating than me.

This and I pretty much know that when I eat something like a cookie it should have been something other than a cookie. :)
  • Tjarvi
    Tjarvi Posts: 53
    Options
    Probably b/c they don't want unsolicited advice. If your diary is public or open to your friends, you're inviting comments. Some people just don't want those comments. ;-)

I agree with this statement. I have had my share of criticisms on my diary. I'm on here for encouragement not critique' .
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ...because then my friends will know that I eat things like lucky charms and scooby snacks. And that I NEVER drink water ;)

Don't forget the fruit roll ups.

Oh yeah. Fruit roll-ups totally count as fruit ;)
  • hecanfly
    Options
    My reasoning is that I don't have any interest in looking at other peoples diaries so why would anyone want to look at mine? I don't ask any food related questions so it's kind of moot. And I am 100% honest with myself regardless so I don't need others to hold me accountable. I also didn't know it defaulted to private, you learn something new every day! I wondered why "view this diary" didn't show up for me XD
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    A friend of mine was attacked pretty horribly one day when she ate some chocolate. All her friends (not me) were being so mean to her and telling her how much she shouldn't have been eating that chocolate. She deleted her account. I've kept mine private from day one knowing that would probably happen to me sometime. I don't need that, this is hard enough to handle daily.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I don't believe there is anyone here who can offer better insight into what I need to be eating than me.

This! I've been on MFP for 2 years. My diary has been private the entire time and it hasn't hendered me in any way or kept me from losing weight. I know when I should be eating better. I don't need anyone to tell me. If others want ideas on meals or healthy recipes they are always free to ask. The rest of my profile is public. Let me have something to myself.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently open to my friends but when I started it was private. Why? I was dealing with kicking my emotional reasons for being overweight and if one person had made a comment on the amount of crap I was eating I would have deleted my account over it. What I was eating was about gazillon times better than what I had been but it was still crap. And, honestly, it still is today. But I've lost almost 77 lbs (need to update my ticker) so I don't want any unsolicited advice about the 200 calories worth of brownies I might eat every day. I have turned off my diary and exercise from updating in the feed.

My daughter finally got active again on the site. She has lost about 37 lbs but she has her locked so I am the only one looking at it. Trust me the last thing an emotionally vulnerable teenage girl needs is some snarky remark about her food diary. I would say that goes for most woman of any age. :smile:

That said if you are going to ask for advice about why you aren't losing weight you need to be prepared to have it open. Otherwise, keep it open or not since it's your diary.

Those are my reasons.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    Mine is wide open for all to see. I invite comments but honestly, I don't think anyone has anything to say other than 'that sounds good' or 'yummy'. I like to see other diaries to get ideas on things to eat in the future.
    Or "You are a slave to Trader Joe".

my food diary is a Trader Joe's shopping list, essentially... :\
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    I like to look at what people eat, so I can learn from what works for them, just today one of my friends was talking about how she upped her protein intake to stay fuller longer, great idea! I am here to learn, and if someone comments on what I am eating, I will look at the advice they give, if I can use it great, if not I will move on and do what works for me! I have only lost 5 pounds, but at least the scale is moving in the right directions now! :flowerforyou:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Because it's nobody's business what I eat. It has nothing to do with shame. For the record, I eat a 95% clean, pescetarian diet. I get enough flac from people outside the internet about what I do and don't eat, and I don't need that judgement from here, as well. In the end, I'm an adult, and only I can hold myself accountable for how and what I eat. I know what works for me, and I don't need people telling me what should work for me. Frankly, I've always wondered why people would want to make their diaries public, unless they're asking for a public opinion on their diary in the forum.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to make mine public! LOL
  • branflake5
    Options
    I don't know how to make mine public! LOL

lol its in your privacy settings, I'd love to creep on your food diary.... stealing your meal plans:wink:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My mother, sister, cousin and aunt are all on here now, and they looooooove to give their (unsolicited) input. It's actually not that big of a deal, just gets kinda annoying to hear about it all the time. My sister is okay but no one else really ;) Hopefully they don't see this!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    mines public but if I don't like the comments I delete the friends lol
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Agreed. Why does it matter to someone else what I'm tracking in my diary anyway? Is it affecting anyone else's body in any way?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends because maybe some of them might find it useful to see what I'm doing.. what I'm eating, my macros, meal ideas, etc. For the same reason I'd prefer if my friends kept theirs open too (at least to friends), but at the end of the day it's their right to keep it private. =
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Mines on private. I have good days and bad days.

I can understand why. Especially if you are suffering with an eating disorder of any kind. You don't need people seeing when you're binging or when you're under eating and then of course making comments about it.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    alcohol maybe
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Privacy for sure. Everyone has a right to it.

If they are asking why they are not achieving their goals & it is private then there is probably an issue there :tongue:

Mine is public & because of this thread I thought I'd see what people thought of it actually. At the end of the day, I eat what I want when I want because that is what works for me.