WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I need to let you know my goal for December has change to maintain To much good food. High fat, sugar. Everything that isn't healthy for you. But that's ok because I'm tired of beating myself for not resisting. I do fine at home. Its work and parties. I start vacation on the 28th. Then it is back to basics.
    Want to welcome all the newcomers. After the holidays I will be able to sit and read and post more regular.
    Joyce
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Oh my goodness.... away for less than 2 weeks and the new message board is already up to 8 pages!!

I'm not going to have time to read them now but I just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone....I'll try and read through over the next few days in between getting back to reality and shopping, christmas, etc.

I have been up to Byron Bay (the most easterly point on the Australian mainland) for a wonderful family beach holiday.... husband, 2 sons and 2 son's girlfriends.... and it was fabulous..... lots of swimming, walking on the beach, laughs, games, a bit too much food, cocktails every night, ice cream treats...... oh, well..... I did walk on the beach every day and I also ran every couple of days to try to compensate.... 10 days later and I've gained less than a kilo (800g / 1.7lb).... so not too bad although I was hoping not to gain at all.

So my goals for December are to finally get the water drinking thing happening.... I really struggle with the 9 glasses of water.... sometimes I probably do but I don't normally keep track so I am going to start monitoring it.

Also really want to get under 80kgs.... I have promised myself some new gym gear when I get under 80 and I was almost there before we went away..... maybe for christmas... if I can at least get under 80 and not go back over during christmas I will be happy.

Hello to everyone and welcome to all the new friends.... i will eventually read all the posts.

Lovely to be back:bigsmile:

Lisa:heart:
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hi all - first time to post. My name is Maria and I'm 54..going through menapause and finding it hard to lose. I've followed MFP for 50 days and plateaued at 6 lbs...I keep telling myself that ONE day, the scale is going to show a drop. My plan is the 1200 cal a day plus whatever I earn in exercise which is usually 250 to 300....and I eat all of it and am still hungry.

I walk every day and 2x a week go to the gym.

Anyone else a slow loser?

I have been a pretty slow loser (on average) , but have done a bit better on MFP. Why don't you try not using your exercise points and see if that helps? Just a suggestion. I've been through menopause and they say the best you can expect at that point is 300 gms per day. I've plateau'd twice in my journey, but when I do I try something different to nudge things along, adnit usually works (not WW though).
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Not sure if my comments about the glucosamine and fish oil were appropriate for this board. If not, please accept my apology. I realize this is about support, not advice, unless someone asks a specific question. I'll be more conscientious about that. Still learning the guidelines! :)

Hi Beth, I don't see anything inappropriate about your comments at all. All suggestons help, and we are here to help each other, after all! So don't worry.

Kathie
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

How are you all doing?

My little and only grandson turned 4 today so my son and DIL had a party for him. He was so cute with all of his friends from school.

Joyce - your new little one is adorable!!

Beth - I think it was you who was worried about giving advice - give away - we take what we want from this thread and ignore what we don't want; it is that sort of set up; you don't have to be asked, I think about anything, we all sort of just jump in about anything and hope that our life experiences can be of some assistance to our friends here and I think that is how it is supposed to work. Take away what you want from this site.

Are you all pretty ready for Christmas? I am done all my shopping and it is all wrapped and under the tree already. I don't do Christmas baking (on purpose - I don't want it in the house as I would eat it ), but I bet Michele will be baking up a storm!!!

We have a family Christmas next weekend with my siblings, well those I still talk to, so that should be fun. My kids and grandkids come too (except my son who is still posted away). It used to be a Christmas for my Dad and since he passed we continued anyway to get together but my stepmom doesn't feel up to coming this year.

Well, welcome to the newcomers. I will be getting to know you soon enough.

Take care, and talk to you soon. Have a really good week everyone.

Love, Cathy xx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    jane - I like your feeling of not overexercising to compensate for eating. I guess that's one reason why I don't add in my exercise calories. Also, whenever I did, I never lost anything -- I would gain. We shouldn't overeat, period, and overexercising to rationalize this isn't a good thing. As you say, it's a lifestyle change. If you overexercise, you haven't changed the way you eat or what it is you eat. Congrats on your great loss. Right now, I'll be happy not gaining much. There's just too much. You're so right that quitters never win. How true! We had the Newcomers holiday party. I must say, the lady who gave out the meat was somewhat stingy. I only took the turkey, no ham, and she gave me about 1/2 a cup. I did go back for seconds, and you should have seen how much was left over!

Welcome Susan! Is there a reason you were placed on a semi-bland diet?

Well, tomorrow (Sun) I think I'll do some hula hoop on the Wii, need to burn off some calories. We have an open house to go to at this one lady's house tomorrow. I know that I'm going to have to try her burbon balls and one of the guys at the Newcomer social tonight said that he made something for her so I'll have to try that too. Mon. I think I'll make the apple pie. I think I mentioned that someone at a farmer's market said they make it and freeze it, and bake it right before they use it. I'll give that a try.

Welcome bread! And welcome to "the slow losers club". Then again, slow weight loss is weight loss that STAYS off, so there's the positive.

Will I ever be thankful when this holiday season is over! Today we had the open house. This lady has all her nativities (she does have a lot and they are quite interesting), but she also had lots of goodies "you gotta try my burbon balls, have some of my kahlua cheesecake". And I did. I'm slipping. I know that I need to make an apple pie for Christmas eve. Not sure if I'll do that tomorrow or Tuesday. We have a coffee and conversation to go to with the Newcomers, we usually don't go since it's usually on a Wednesday and we're bowling. But since this one is on a Monday we probably should go. Guess I'll pass on mahjongg Tuesday in favor of making that apple pie. Update: may not go to that coffee & conversation. Vince needs to get christmas decorating done, so I'll probably help him. I don't see that I'm losing that much.

Did an hour of hula hoop on the Wii today (Sun). Tomorrow I'll go to the extremepump class, then stop at JCPenney for earrings (they're on sale) for Jessica since I have a $15 off coupon, practice bowl some and then help Vince.

Susan - we'd LOVE to have you join us. Post often. Reading about your diet is quite intersting to me. It must be so hard on you, tho

We were asked to go to a dinner for Christmas at the Moose club. To be honest, the real reason I don't want to go is not so much the money, but the fact that I would like to TRY to watch what I'm eating, and I know that I won't be able to there. To me, it's not a real biggie.

barbie - wonderful on the Chinese buffet. We have a Chinese buffet here, but you can also order off the menu. I usually order the steamed chicken and broccoli. They give you so much! I have enough for two meals.

Well, here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    good morning lovely ladies,

thanks for the new thread barbie....

well i am in a FUNK...this time of the year is very difficult for me, i get sad, lonely, that feel sorry for me feeling....i am starting to get the life less(no engery)or really the no desire sensation.....i have been making myself workout but its not helping, im just not feeling it and im doing so much less than usual...needless to say my eating is off the charts, though not by much, but its not the healthy choices(i am logging EVEYTHING)though....thank you all for letting me vent, and cry....i will get up and go the gym and do something

thanks girls, i hope you all have a great day big hug:flowerforyou:

I'm sorry you're in a funk. (((((((((((((hugs to you)))))))))))))))
    I hope you've been feelng better!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I have not dropped off of the face of the earth. My daughter is going in for a c section very early tomorrow morning, and I have been very busy helping her get ready for the baby. Can't wait to hold my new grandson!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,985 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: went to an ornament exchange party today----brought raisins and walnuts for the food table......my plan was to eat nothing.....I did well until the end, then had a bunch of grapes and six peanuts.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we can consider making this thread into a group----what do you all think?
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we can consider making this thread into a group----what do you all think?

I will follow your lead barbie as I love this wonderful bunch.... but I'll just give you my thoughts.... I was on another thread for menopausal women which I quite liked as well and then it turned into a group and it might just be me but I found it really confusing.... the same group starts having all these different topics and I couldn't follow it all.... I know this one thread gets very long but at least its one long stream and you can read over it (or skim as I have just done to try to catch up on 10 days away) and you don't miss anything.... maybe I just don't know how the group thing works very well but I haven't been back to the other one as I found it too hard. I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks.:ohwell:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If it isn't broke why try to fix it.
    Joyce
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I have not dropped off of the face of the earth. My daughter is going in for a c section very early tomorrow morning, and I have been very busy helping her get ready for the baby. Can't wait to hold my new grandson!

how exiting....congratulations:flowerforyou:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie glad you're back, and you are sooo right about the basics.
    :love: BirdieM, Kathie and Cathy Thanks for your advice, you put my mind at ease!
    :bigsmile: Joyce safe travels, see you next year!
    :wink: Lisa Welcome back! We'd love to see some beachwalk pics...
    :tongue: Michele an hour of wii hulahoop? my sides ache just trying to imagine it!
    :happy: 47by47 Welcome!
    :heart: Marymsh Hope all went well this morning, thinking of you, your daughter and new grandson.
    :laugh: Barbie, Raisins and walnuts for the food table, now that's STRATEGY! Bet there weren't any left overs either!
    :ohwell: Lisa Neither do I know how the group thing works and will be interested to see other comments. Sometimes (especiallly in January) we get so chatty we hit the 500 post maximium, so Barbie has to start a second thread for the month. Maybe it would be easier to find the 2nd thread in a group. BUT if every time a member of our group posts to another thread, I'd find that confusing and too cluttered to follow too!
    :smooched: Pam hafta say BIG THANKS for the red bean recipe. Joe already had two bowls... for breakfast! :laugh: Normally he's not a huge bean fan, "wouldn't pull off the freeway for 'em", :noway: but they smelled so good this morning he couldn't resist. I'll put some aside for lunch tomorrow, and freeze the rest in worklunch size portions for me... Want to leave Joe wanting more...:wink:

Yesterday's RP: Did=church, walk Dixie, complete food diary before bed, pam's red beans and chorizo into crockpot, 3 loads laundry
    Today's RP: fm yesterday: toffee & fudge prep, get down on that mat, postpone chiro, pickup Robby meds, Winco, veg prep for SCD tonight and dance!
    Tomorrow it's back to work, so I may not post 'til Saturday, but will log food and try to read posts daily.

Hugs to ALL,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, who WILL be size 10 one day
    December 2011: dance more, bark less, hit that protein goal, HoliDAY not HoliWEEKEND and CHECK IN!!! :
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Pam I just entered your recipe into the db, a small, side dish sized portion (130 g) is only 68 C!!!
    Thank YOU!!! :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My new grandson, Isaac, has arrived! 8 lb 9.5 oz 21 inches long. Mom and baby are doing well. Grandma is walking on air!
  • Pam3
    Options
    @auntiebk...your welcome, so happy you and your hubby enjoy them...i made some lentils yesterday...also in the slow cooker....the same recipe , but i subsituted the carrots for sweet potate, and instead of the green pepper i used the red...everything else the same....:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Options

I'm sorry you're in a funk. (((((((((((((hugs to you)))))))))))))))
    I hope you've been feelng better!

thanks for the hug...i do feel better...exercising works wonders for me...have a great day:flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hugs to all who need it (those in a funk especially)
    Congratulations new grandma!
    Group or monthly topic? I'm easy - will follow either way.

I'm a grumpy girlie today and I'm going to go and try to stomp it out of myself with a walk in the rain.

Love all round
    Amanda x
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Now I understand why some "authorities" suggest only weighing once a week. Although others suggest weighing daily as motivation. Other opinions, please??
    I think it's highly personal. I weigh pretty much every day. I find it keeps me in line. But I expect the fluctuations and I don't get upset if I am up 2 lb. one day and down the next as long as I am under my "go no higher than this" weight when maintaining and going down overall when I'm losing.
    :noway: Macmadame how the heck can a scale measure bone and muscle mass of body segments? Do you put one arm on then the other?:laugh:
    It shoots electricity up each foot like a normal scale but it also has these handles you hold that shoots it up your arms. That makes it more accurate than scales that just shoot up the feet or just the hands. Well, in theory anyway. :laugh:

But all these scales use formulas and they have to do estimates. That's because they are what we call 2-compartment models. They measure on 2 dimensions and estimate the 3rd. DEXA scan is a 3 compartment model and that's why it's the gold standard.

On the group thing, I like the idea. Then I wouldn't have to find you every week and I could skip threads I didn't care about so I could keep up with what I want to keep up better.

Here are some things I learned after I broke my brain and couldn't work out that people might find helpful:

-I eat a lot based on habit and not true hunger. So I got used to eating 3 cheese sticks in the afternoon when I was working out and I kept eating 3 afterwards and was convinced I was hungry enough to eat 3. But I decided to start eating 2 and I was fine. I cut out about 500 calories a day just by limiting snacks and controlling portion size!

-Most of the time I think I'm hungry, I'm actually thirsty. I already knew if I craved ice cream and chocolate that meant I was thirsty but I found out I have this vague "I need something" signal which is the same for hunger and thirst. I need to pay more attention and figure out how thirst is different from hunger because I'm sure there are some differences -- they are just subtle.

-On a related note, I have gotten into the bad habit of washing my food out of my stomach by not waiting long enough after I eat to start drinking again. I need to wait at least 30 minutes and preferably 45 min. but I haven't been doing that and it increases my hunger level

-I do a lot of "boredom" eating. I just naturally eat less if I'm out and about or at work, where I drink a ton of decaf tea and walk around when I need a break, but at home I go to the pantry when the same mood hits. This was QUITE a shock to me to figure out as I would have SWORN prior to this last bout of unemployment that I was not a boredom eater AT ALL.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My new grandson, Isaac, has arrived! 8 lb 9.5 oz 21 inches long. Mom and baby are doing well. Grandma is walking on air!

Congratulations Mary!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: May God Bless all of you!!!:love:

BirdieM:heart: