WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Jane - how wonderful! Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with us. I'm so excited for you.

We put the ornaments on the tree tonight. Vince piled up the boxes of ornaments and he didn't think Clyde would jump on something like that. Well, Clyde did. The pile was pushed over and one glass ornament broke. So....we put Clyde into the bedroom until we were finished. Interesting, tho, the other cats stayed away from the tree and the ornaments. Don't know how long that'll last, tho. Tomorrow, I think we'll wrap the presents.

Had the bowling "party" this afternoon. I felt I wasw pretty good. I had mostly shrimp, some cantaloupe, pineapple, I had to try a bit (and I do mean a a bit) of this salad that a friend made, I also tried this vege dish but I found out that it seemed to be marinated in some sort of vinagrette. Had one bite of a a brownie (it was made from a box mix), a small piece of this apple pizza, brought my tea with me (unsweetened). So I thought that I did pretty good.

Did an hour of deep water aerobics today. Tomorrow I'll do a Jari Love DVD.

Happy Hanukah to all who celebrate it!

I made some magic cookie bars, and finally had room in the refrigerator to refrigerate them and then cut them up. Unfortunately, I did have to have some of it. I've already decided that after Christmas, I'll take them to the people at the bowling alley. Bettter on their hips than mine....lol

McMadame - I feel for you. I know how it is when you work so hard to get something so pretty and then in traveling it gets messed up. Has happened to me. Bet you decided not to go to the party.

I'm so sorry about Kiera. Having just lost pets, I know how hard it is, especially at this time of year. ((((big hug)))))

I think I'm going to have some butternut squash soup tomorrow. Need to balance the calories.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about Kiera's passing. Since I am fairly new to this board, I have missed previous posts about her condition. Was she sick or did this just happen suddenly with no warning?

She was old but yesterday was a good day. she went to the vet to get her booster shot and she was spry and bouncy. The vet gave here a clean bill of health. Today she was very lethargic and could barely move. she drank a little water, Pooprd a really hard poop laying down and groaned and died. I am in so much shock. Bodi hasn't quite figured it out yet. he will be greiving soon I am sure.

Robin and the Bodi pup.
  • angelily
    Options
    She was old but yesterday was a good day. she went to the vet to get her booster shot and she was spry and bouncy. The vet gave here a clean bill of health. Today she was very lethargic and could barely move. she drank a little water, Pooprd a really hard poop laying down and groaned and died. I am in so much shock. Bodi hasn't quite figured it out yet. he will be greiving soon I am sure.

That's so tough ~ is Bodi another dog? I read somewhere that it is better when an animal is present after their companion animal passes. It brings closure for them as to where the deceased animal has gone. Years ago, we made the mistake of putting down a pet rabbit that was very ill without bringing the other rabbit with us. Who'd have thought? Our vet told us to watch for signs of extreme grieving ~ loss of appetite, continually searching rooms in the house, etc. The animals left behind can have a really difficult time of it.

Hugs,
    Deborah
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Robin, I am so sorry to hear about Kiera...I know that you loved her so much and will miss her

:sad: :cry: MacMadame, what a shame about your reindeer pops......as you were describing them I was hoping that you'd post a picture so we could see them and now to find out that they got ruined is sad.....did you take that as a sign to skip the party?

:bigsmile: I got up early enough this morning to walk the dogs for two hours and still get to line dance at nine.......I enjoyed the beautiful moon as it rose through and above the trees during our walk. There was a potluck lunch after class and I ate smart although perhaps a bit too much, but then met my friend for our weekly four mile walk on the Olympic Discovery Trail and when I got home, the dogs wanted to go on another walk ( not two hours, just 40 minutes) so now my pedometer reads over 40,000 steps :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Happy Solstice
  • barbiecat
    Options
    1334002zg4bx5zgg2.jpg
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options

Robin and the Bodi pup.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your gorgeous dog.... from someone who is still missing my last dog who died 6 months ago.... no matter how many pets you have been through it with it is never any easier.... they are such a part of the family.... I'm so glad you have your other dog to help you through this time.

All the best:flowerforyou: :heart: Lisa
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sorry about Kiera.

I didn't go to the party because I was trying not to get a bad headache. I had the twinges of one and I just wanted to go home and rest.

I made these pops for another party and took a picture so as soon as I get it off my camera, I can show you.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :heart: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :heart: Robin, so sorry to hear about Keira, my thoughts are with you.

Give yourself and Bodi a big hug from me.

Viv x
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi all, My goal, now that I think of it, is to make it through tomorrow making cookies and bread all day and still stay in my MFP goal. I think I can. I am going to 1) Remember I have come thus far and don't want to throw it away 2) Think 6 months down the road 3) Get er done!!. I also am going to flush any "unheathy " treats people give to me for treats, but do so discreetly. Also, I am going to chew gum and eat cabbage while cooking those treats. Then when all those treats are done I am going to put on healthy food, and while it cooks take a leisurely bubble bath. Doesn't that sound good? Also, tomorrow I am going to figure out what to give my sons and grandsons money wise. Also I need a present for the mother of my grandson's mother. I am sad to say she and my son don't feel fond enough of each other to marry. Very sad. They love their little boy more than each other. And my other son has really terrible hip pain and needs a hip replacement but Kaiser won't agree. He has the hip of a 90 year old but is 40. The doctor says he is too young. His pain is constantly exquisite - can't sleep, can't walk. He does work, but has to fake it all the time. Thanks for listening.
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Aw...... you are having a hard time. Your mom is lucky to have you. I am sending my prayers your way.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Big hugs Robin. The loss of a pet is so hard. Take care of yourself.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I am siting here sobbing. Kiera laid down her head and died. She was great at the vet yesterday for her checkup and not so good today and then she just died. I can't stop cryiing. I will miss the crotchety ol b1tch.

robin, i am so sorry about Kiera....:brokenheart:
  • angelily
    Options
    I've been reading the posts on this board for a few days just trying to catch up enough to post about some of the history, but I realize that it's never going to happen. I just need to jump in with all the new 'news'

I have nothing to do today! And when I say that, I really mean nothing I need to leave the house for, nothing I need to deliver, and nothing I have to help someone else with. Today is the day for doing what I need to get done! I still have to wrap 3 tiny gifts to put under the tree, finish my laundry, dust, and vacuum (always a MUST with two large shedding dogs!).

But for now, I'm just enjoying my cup of coffee and will plan/track my meals for the remainder of the week (including the weekend). Otherwise, I'll just lose all control...

Wishing everyone a productive day!

Deborah :flowerforyou:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Robin - I had a moment between cleaning up the kitchen and starting to make bread and sweet rolls so I stopped in here for a moment and the first comment I saw was yours. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank goodness you still have Bodi to love on. I too miss a favorite pet. Some pets are just special.

I haven't been around much lately, as like most all of you, I'm very busy. I am holding my own weight-wise and am also looking forward to having fewer temptations in the house. Yesterday a good friend brought by some stollen bread (not sure of the spelling). I had one small slice and that was not a good idea. I can't wait for it to be gone!!! I love bread. :ohwell: I had a slice and will try to hold it at that. I had some, enjoyed it a lot, so no deprivation there.

My dinner guest list keeps growing..... there will now be 14 plus a baby and two dogs.:noway: Thank goodness I bought a whole ham! I am doing a goose too at my grandson's request. Maybe everyone can get a bite, it isn't very big. I will make a double batch of rolls and make an extra desert. I have a recipe for a triple chocolate mousse cake that I want to try. Hopefully it will turn out.

Well, it's time to start baking and trash the kitchen once again!:laugh:

Merry Christmas ladies!

Faye
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I’m making my way through the holiday season,
    Of reunions and parties with families and friends,
    Keeping indulgences all within reason.

Facing temptations and walking the line,
    Passing up cookies and chocolates at wonderful meals,
    My downfall was that last glass of wine!

Sigh.

Merry Christmas!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Robin,sorry to hear about your beloved dog.We started last year loosing our 2 older cats.It`s hard to loose someone you love.
    Welcome all new people.We are an awesome group.
    Busy week here.Got a walk in.Back is doing better,left knee is still giving me trouble.
    Have a wonderful day!
    take time to take a breather during this busy time of year.
    HUGS
    jane
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I miss this board....I've been busy and it is good to read everyone's posts. I haven't gotten to the gym regularly since Thanksgiving. I am hanging on and logging my food. I think I am ready for the holiday. I am having an open house on Christmas Eve and going to my sister's on Christmas Day.

Robin..I am so sorry about Kiera..what a shock for you.

Jane...I loved the story about the clothes from your friend..good for you!!

Have a great night,
    Sally
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think we all must be frazzled.....many of us are not posting at all, and those who are, have written something short.....the holidays get us all busy, even those of us who don't do much celebrating.

:flowerforyou: line dance class today was sort of a party
    dancing to Christmas music and a table filled with goodies----I enjoyed the dancing and stayed far away from the goodies---one magic cookie bar, chocolate chip cookie, or piece of fudge and it would have been all over for me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: I am becoming open to the idea of a heart rate monitor so I've been doing some research and asking people about them.......I welcome any input.

:flowerforyou: I am still enjoying reading "Younger Next Year"......I've had to stay open-minded because many of the suggestions are ones that I'm resistant to or seem too hard, but even so, I'm inspired. I highly recommend the book:bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    MacMadame - so very glad you got a picture before those pops broke. Will be looking forward to seeing it. Sorry about the headache, but you made the best decision in staying home from that party. Not just for the headache, but from the temptation to eat.

We need to wrap the presents today. This a.m. when I got up, I felt a little dizzy. This happened a while ago. So I fell asleep in the chair. Hope that helps.

Denise posted on her facebook page that she wishes she couldj spend at least one Christmas with SFB and everyone, maybe next year. I get to see her for three days once a year, that's the least she can give me! But if I say anything, I know that she'll decide to spend another holiday with us rather than Christmas and I'd rather have her for Christmas.

I really need to vacuum, but I don't want to do that until we've finished wrapping. Update: finished the wrapping. I feel so far behind this year. What we did was I got all the presents together, I put them in boxes and Vince started wrapping. Yes, he wrapped some of his own presents. He knows that I got this lumbar pillow for him, I told him just to be surprised Christmas morning.

Robin - it's been months since we had to put PJ to sleep, but I still think of him every day, especially at this season. When we put out the Christmas tree skirt, Vince was feeling bad. PJ always loved to lay on the skirt and look at the lights on the tree. So glad you have Bodi

I seem to be doing OK weight-wise, but I know that Sat. I'm going to overeat. But then I'll either send some of the cookies, etc to Bryan and give the rest away.

I've decided that during the year I'm going to try making different cookies, cakes, etc. Then next year I can make then for christmas and feel fairly confident how they'll turn out.

mazaaron - what a cute poem! Thanks for sharing

I found this recipe for these rice krispie bars that are chocolate, something different. I made them, I think Jessica will like them. To me, they are too choclatey. If she doesn't like them, after the holiday I'll donate them.

barbie - I've had a heart rate monitor for quite some time now. At this point, I pretty well know my body and where my heart rate most likely is. The time I find that I can easily go above my target heart rate zone is in a spinning class. Anyway....that's not what you were asking about. I have a Polar FT7. One thing that you definitely want in a HRM is the ability to change the battery yourself and not have to return it to the factory to have the battery changed. We all know how wonderful <scarcastic> the post office is. Regardless of which monitor you decide on, be sure you can change the battery yourself. I used to have a Cardiosport but now I have the Polar. One disadvantage to this HRM is that there is no way to turn it off. When I have it in my bag, the time is still displayed, even tho I don't need to have it displayed when I'm not using it. One of the advantages is that the numbers are large. I wear glasses and when I exercise I sweat so I take my glasses off. Therefore, I need to have the numbers large so that I can see them. The transmitter (the part that goes around your body) for the Cardiospsort was all plastic, but the one for the Polar is material. I like the material much better, it's more comfortable. You take the transmitter off, wet the contacts, then snap the transmitter back on. An advantage is that this can be washed (you just take the transmitter off), so if you sweat a lot, at least you can wash the sweat off. The FT7 does a bunch of other things, but honestly I don't use them. I primarily use it to keep track of my heart rate. The FT7 wasn't real expensive. I guess I could get a lot of features that would be nice, but it would also be very costly. I do have to say, Polar's customer helpfulness leaves something to be desired. For example, the manual for the HRM is online, Cardiosport sent you a manual. When I was looking for a new one, what I did was make up a list of the features that I definitely wanted. I knew, for example, if I couldn't change the battery myself, I didn't even look any further about that HRM. At the time I needed a backlight and I would have liked to have the time and my heart rate displayed on the same screen, but that's not so important now. As it turns out, the backlight only stayed on a short time anyway. Think about what features are important to you.

As expected, SFB drove Denise's car to VA, then he drove back to PA, then he's going to drive back to VA to get Denise. And she's concerned about added miles to her car??? Jess, Zac, and Denise and the three cats are driving down here. We rented a car for them .... was cheaper than paying the airfare that Denise wanted us to pay.

Jess wants to give her cats a sedative before she drives for a long period of time, evidentally they get somewhat stressed out. anyway, she couldn't find the sedative so I guess she had to get a new prescription and get that filled, so they're going to be late getting here. She's already called once to complain about Zac and Denise, Honestly, I don't know why she stays with Zac, even she has said that she doesn't know why she stays with him.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening. I'll probably do a Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk DVD tomorrow. Oops...Jess calling. Seems she's going to be upgrading the car, she says that right now it's a bit cramped and going back with presents, etc. it'll be worse. Sat. I'll just do a yoga DVD at home, not going to go to the Y. Too much to get done.

Michele
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of a heart rate monitor too, thanks for the advice.