WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids!

i've been floundering lately....I just want to sleep when I get home from work. But I do love reading the posts....kinda sets me right again. I think this is the most positive group I've ever found...you are all incredible!:flowerforyou:

Itamago...I'm from South Jersey....only 2 hrs south of you. We have the same point of view about speed limits n other drivers. The reason I'm in the car is cause I'm going somewhere...and want to get there. I have no patience w/some other drivers. My son and I compare all the wackos we had to encounter on the way home from work/school.

Cathy....I am soooo happy everything is going more smoothly w/your DIL. :drinker: Family is important and it's great that you can be open and talk about the issues to resolve them. I have a bad habit of judging something/someone first...and then when I get more info, find I was way off. I constantly have to remind myself that things aren't always as they seem to be at first.

I've read all the posts.....love the ones about One Day At A Time....something else I try to remind myself of. I'm thinking maybe I should tattoo that on the back of my hands. I'm at a keyboard all day...so it will be in my face all day:smile:

Hubby is serving jury duty this week...not having a good time...and he's ready to kick back and watch a movie.
    I'll chat w/everyone tomorrow. Have a great nite and Wednesday!

Rita
  • banderso31983
    Options
    Bev keep up the good work! I enjoyed reading your comments. I've done this (weight loss) before. I'm determined to get back on track and keep going. Just started on 12/2, lost 2 lbs. so far,:smile: so it's a beginning Happy Healthy Holidays to all!:smile:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

I wanted to let those of you know, who gave me such good advice, that I called my DIL and I realized that she did not make plans to be away for Christmas on purpose, if that makes sense; she only has 2 weeks off work and has to optimize her time off since my son has been posted away since early October. While speaking to her, I realized that I would set the tone and I realized I do like her very much and we will have a Christmas, just a few days late - she planned to come here and stay a few days on Jan. 1st. I got myself upset for nothing :happy: I don't want family strive; I don't talk to my 2 sisters and have not for almost 20 years and that is not good and I don't want that for my family unit :smile:

i am very happy for cathy....enough is more important than keeping the family together....:flowerforyou:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying getting back to the gym. I was pleasantly surprised that a previous director was back. It is an interim position for now but hopefully he will get the permanent position. He is so friendly and a great help to the members. I didn't like the woman who took his place at all. She was not a people person and I never saw her out from behind her desk. I have no idea why they hired her or why it took this long for her to be replaced. Tomorrow I am going to stop by city hall and tell them I am glad to see Joe back and that I hope he get the permanent position.

On a not so good note, I gained 4 pounds while I was in Michigan. It is no mystery to me that I gained. I simply didn't have the time or energy to make the food I should have. I could have done better than I did, even with the circumstances I had but I didn't. Lesson learned. Next year I will try to have more prepared ahead of time that is better for my eating style and will try harder to keep out of the munchies that I have on hand for the guys. I changed my ticker to reflect the pounds. I will see how quickly I can get them back off!

I have the Halloween packed up finally. I still had it out when we left Nov 10th so it really really needed to go! I got the living room area run cleaned today so I am ready to get the tree up that we cut in Michigan and make wreath or two from boughs we brought home from the tree farm.

I have gotten most of my shopping done the last few days right here from this chair. I really don't like running all over chasing down presents. It's a 50 mile drive for me just to get to a good shopping area and them the store to store search just makes me cranky. Much better to shop with right here with my shoes off and a cup of tea at hand. I am a committed fan of Amazon prime! Santa (disguised as the UPS guy) has already started delivering the presents. This may be the year that I get everything except groceries via the internet.

auntiebk/Barbara - I have made venison jerky in the past but lately our son has taken over that job. I don't eat much of it due to the salt.

We have done several different things with the hides in the past. We have sold them (no one local to where we hunt buys them anymore), tanned them ourselves, had then tanned professionally (I made a jacket with some once) and the last few years we salt them down, bring them home, and give them to the local BSA troop that our grandson belongs to. There is a man who works with a sub-group of BSA called Order of the Arrow that tans the hides to make costumes for the OA ceremonial dances.

Well, that's it for me tonight.

Faye
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barbara, my suggestion for dealing with children who did bad stuff to the Christmas tree was to not put up a tree at all or take the tree down and put everything away, so putting something bad tasting on the goodies the kids were taking off the tree sounded like a great idea. However, as the step-mother, I wasn’t asked so I didn’t have to suggest my radical solution. My husband told her that his mom told him and his three brothers that if they messed with the tree, Santa would know and he wouldn’t come. So that’s what she told her kids and so far it’s working.

:flowerforyou: Cathy, I’m so glad you took the risk and talked to your DIL so you could find a good solution.

:flowerforyou: Nanhick, dancing to music on the radio or TV has been one of the mainstays of my exercise program. My husband has to tell me to sit down and be quiet when we watch TV because I’ll dance to the background music.

:flowerforyou: Beth , my life has been strongly influenced by several “Anonymous” programs. The principles are great for everyone for a variety of challenges. Glad you’ve joined us.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, the description of the places you walk sounds so romantic to me since I’ve never been to London. I walk before dawn and after dark in my neighborhood in areas that are well lighted enough for me to see where I’m going.

:flowerforyou: Robin, I agree with your sentiments about this group. When I am walking with my dogs I am thinking about what I’ll tell all of you about the sights. When I am in the company of the “dream stealers” who make weird comments about my eating, exercise, or weight, I think about how supportive all of you have been to me. When I eat my breakfast in the morning I go to our thread to see what all of you have been doing.

:flowerforyou: We did yoga again today. I just got out the mats in the middle of the afternoon and set up the Rodney Yee DVD and hubby took off his shoes and got ready.

:heart: :heart: Barbie from NW Washington

December goals:
    *keep walking the dogs for at least an hour every morning no matter how cold, wet, or snowy.
    * do yoga five days a week
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Birdie, thanks for the reminder to take it one day at a time. It feels good to let go of the anxiety about being at a certain weight by a certain date or occasion. Lecturing myself about needing to do better, etc., has never been good for me either. Today is the only day I have. I'll relax and be grateful for it.

Kackie, I'm sad for your friend and glad she has friends like you to be by her side. I too, like you and Birdie, have lots of family that I'm close to. I don't know what I'd do without them. I know people who don't have family (or family they're close to) who find rich connections with friends. I hope your friend will too.

I've been busy today getting things squared away, including running all the dishes, glassware, etc., through the sanitizing cycle in the dishwasher. I had them out on a table on the porch for too long and the mice (we live in the middle of a wide open area) thought they were their playground. (Unpacking before the cabinets were ready was about me, trying to get things moving faster.)

I'm smiling as I listen to my dishwasher. I have water! I have a dishwasher! (For those of you who don't know me, I'm not really crazy. Just very, very happy to finally have a functioning kitchen after 2 months without one.)

I'm ramping up the fruits and veggies again. Feels good. Much better than the too-rich food I was eating when I was eating out a lot.

It's so good to be back. I have missed you a lot.

:heart:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :love: :love: :love:

SO,SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK HERE WHERE YOU BELONG, MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a photo or 2 or 3 of you new space when you get the time. I'm so happy for you:drinker:

Kackie
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies:

Hi Mary: I am so glad you have a kitchen, that works and more importantly, that you are BACK!!!! You truly are missed when you are gone and not posting:sad:

There are many threads on here that are inspirational and yours is one of them. So, glad you are back:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am the same way, through the day, when I am confronted with something, I often run in in my mind and think "well, what would "My Friends" think? It is like this thread has become an important part of my life, which is a good thing, I think:wink:

There are so many wonderful women on here, with so may different life experiences that we can all draw from and all learn from, I think it is amazing and I am so glad that I found this site all those months ago :smile:

Again, thanks, Ladies, for being there and for your support, it is invaluable to many of us I would gather :happy:

Have a great day, Hope you are all well. Everyone. Talk to you soon.

Love, Cathy xx
  • Pam3
    Options
    good morning ladies,

glad to have you back. mimi....

today is a busy day, dont know if i'll get to gym(i prefer the morning to working out)...off to my bible study class, then a couple of errands, and lunch with my oldest son(YAY!!!):love: ...i did some yoga here at home yesterday(exercise TV on the demand channel) but got bored after 10minutes(i dont understand that since i am able to do a 60 minute class at the gym??)anyways next time will try for more time...i find that the yoga, more than the pilates, helps with my back and hip issues...

i have been cooking beans(i have a cuban background) but on the healthy side and packing them up in containers of 1 or 2 meals and freezing them up, they come in so handy and are very filling and good for you, i use the slow cooker which works out great, dont have to worry about it...

my gym will be closing for a week to re-model, so i will be either driving to another or doing some more yoga from home...my biking challenge is going suffer:sad: ,,,have a wonderful day my friends....:flowerforyou:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Mary msh Remembering all I eat IS a struggle. Never thought to take a pic!
    :sad: Macmadame Aieee! Hope no repercussions from last night's pain.
    :love: BirdieM, and we're glad you stay connected. Love hearing from you.
    :flowerforyou: Cathy Wow! You set the tone beautifully. So happy for you and your family. Sad to hear of the estrangement between you and your sisters, but am sure you have good reason. Sometimes we do need to protect ourselves and our loved ones from those who are "family" by blood.
    :tongue: Itamatgo I'm from San Francisco but know what a real bagel tastes like... from my trips to The (other) City... ;)
    :wink: asugar and I miss SF sourdough so bad I can ALMOST taste it. Safe travels.
    :ohwell: Kathie expect you'll get lots of scale advice from those more knowledgeable than I. Not sure a scale can do more than approximate BMI, just like a wii or MFP. I'll probably never buy another scale again, but dust off my tape measure instead.
    :happy: nahick Welcome! If you're moving, you're losing and Dancing is FUN!
    :laugh: qofsheba welcome back! Good for you to see the humor in the scale.
    :yawn: Rita hang in there. Sometimes you do just need to sleep, at least I do :yawn:
    :flowerforyou: banderso welcome, happy healthy holidays right back atcha and conVERYgratulations on the awesome start!
    :happy: Pam beans yumm, any favorite recipes to share?
    :smile: Faye You truly do make the most of your harvest. BoyScouts Order of the Arrow, WOW! Hope the gym hires your guy.
    :laugh: Barbie Jake and Joe could swap stories. Though I'm usually responding to the commercials, not dancing to the music. Joe has to ask me "Are you REALLY talking to the television?" to get me to shut up. Just getting out the yoga mats, that's the VERY hardest part.
    :love: MimiSMVQ can just see you smiling as you listen to the dishwasher. Seeing your smile again brightens us all!
    :heart: Kackie Amen!

Retirement Practice: finished yesterday's calls, made batter + hummus, dance class and no hooch-YAY!
    Today: roast beets/celeriac, prep vegs, Winco and co-op AGAIN, measure/prep for toffee and fudge, chiro stretches, line dance class and keep beer to a pint or less.:drinker:

:noway: uh oh, Joe's making big boy breakfast in the kitchen, I'd better dress and go shopping NOW before I'm tempted. Already had my fruit and yoghurt.

:heart: Robin's right. :heart: Cathy and :heart: Mimi too. Most of the best friends I've ever had are right here in this forum. :love: Bless and thank you ALL!:heart::heart: :heart:

Hugs to ALL,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, who WILL be size 10 one day
    December 2011: dance more, bark less, hit that protein goal,

HoliDAY not HoliWEEKEND and CHECK IN!!! :)
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Newbie here - turned 50 earlier this year and plans to be 'fit for 50' came to nothing so today, after a very difficult experience yesterday and a health scare, I'm starting my 'fit for 51' campaign. Loving the site but most particularly loving this thread.

Have let myself go in recent years (it's complicated!) but determined to get a grip and MFP will surely help - mostly in need of motivation, which has been very elusive lately (especially as weight loss so much slower post menopause :ohwell: )

Live and work in England, on the south-east coast, where today there is a chilly northern wind after the mildest (and dryest) autumn I've ever known. Looks like winter's finally here!

Thank you all for the lovely inspiring and insightful stories and hope it's OK to hang out.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Just saw a set of digital scales on sale that also measure body fat, BMI, etc. Should I buy them or will the change of scales change my progress, as all scales measure differently? I would like to know the body fat %.

BTW, I'm scared to ever go to Long Island now......lol.

Kathie
    Don't be scared to go to Long Island. Just go to the Hamptons where the rich people hang out ... they are kittens in comparison

As for the scales, they can be wildly inaccurate but I think that, for the most part, they do show trends. As long as you stay with one scale, whatever it's off by should be consistent so, if it goes down, your body fat probably went down.

However, I have found that if you get too far out of the averages, then the scales can be stupid. I have a very expensive scale that is supposed to be as accurate in body fat % as the ones in the doctor's office. It measures everything too -- hydration levels, bone mass, muscle mass... and it does the muscles and body fat in segments so you can see left arm vs. right arm vs. torso vs. left leg vs right leg.

However, it seems to think women can't gain a lot of muscle. It tells me that all the muscles I've gained in my arms and legs are gains in body fat! It claims my arms and legs are fatter than my torso. This is visibly not true. I have skinny arms and legs and my torso has a muffin top. When I tell my scale I'm a guy, it tells me my body fat % is lower than I know it is, but it does get the arms and legs right and says they are skinnier than my middle. So it's more believable.

The funny thing is, when I first got my scale, I didn't really have this problem. So it's only when I got more muscles than your average 50-something woman that its formulas couldn't deal with it.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Newbie here - turned 50 earlier this year and plans to be 'fit for 50' came to nothing so today, after a very difficult experience yesterday and a health scare, I'm starting my 'fit for 51' campaign. Loving the site but most particularly loving this thread.

Have let myself go in recent years (it's complicated!) but determined to get a grip and MFP will surely help - mostly in need of motivation, which has been very elusive lately (especially as weight loss so much slower post menopause :ohwell: )

Live and work in England, on the south-east coast, where today there is a chilly northern wind after the mildest (and dryest) autumn I've ever known. Looks like winter's finally here!

Thank you all for the lovely inspiring and insightful stories and hope it's OK to hang out.

Welcome! Welcome!:flowerforyou: Sounds like you are dealing with a lot (I read your profile) but this is one area that you can change!:happy: I used to spend a lot of time posting, when I first started and it kept me busy....and not thinking..... every minute about food.:happy: . Just for today you can track your food and drink some water....and post!:bigsmile: Then step back and regroup and make.....even if it's only....one change.:flowerforyou: You have started your journey already so good luck to you! I think especially when life is difficult,:frown: doing something positive for yourself is in order and you will have something to feel good about...as well as accomplished!:bigsmile: Glad you found this thread!:flowerforyou:

BirdieM:drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Wow what a wonderful group.Love reading the posts.Been busy doing some volunteer work for our church.It`s a way for me to give back and also to get in the Christmas spirit.My hubby and I worked on getting the gift pantry ready.Today we stood outside in the warm,ha ha 30 degree weather to collect money for the hungry for Christmas. Was so nice to see people being generous for a good cause.
    Still working on getting my back stronger after the injury.The pain is minimal,just have a hard time standing for any length.Wish I could swim more,as that helps.Don`t live near a pool.
    Hope you all have a good night.
    Take care of yourselves.This time of year gets pretty stressful sometimes.
    HUGS
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: On Wednesday and Thursday I have to get up extra early to fit in the 90 minute walk with the frisky poodles after breakfast and still have time for tea with Jake before showering and dressing before the 9:00 line dance class. It means that I have to start the dog walk before daylight. It’s usually quiet and peaceful but today someone had two unleashed small dogs out with them and there was a lot of barking before I could direct my dogs down another street. After line dance class I came home to lunch prepared by Jake----steel cut oatmeal with applesauce, raisins, walnuts, cut up honeycrisp apple, and mandarin orange segments. Then we went to the annual holiday open house put on by our financial advisor. I managed to avoid all the chocolate and limited my snacking to a few cashews and some pita chips with various spreads (hummus, salmon, and spinach dip). After a stop at the store for veggies, we came home to dogs who wanted to walk again. We went out for 40 minutes and came home to yoga mats laid out and the DVD ready to go.

:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: Jane, bravo for your generosity, especially in light of the fact that standing for too long is difficult for you.

:flowerforyou: If you’re new here, don’t be intimidated by the healthy eating, exercise, discipline, and insight of the people who’ve been here a long time. Each of us started at square one
    desperate, willing and open minded and bit by bit we have made changes to get where we are today.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

December goals:
    *keep walking the dogs for at least an hour every morning no matter how cold, wet, or snowy.
    * do yoga five days a week
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

Just a quick post this morning. I've read most of the posts, just the last few I need to catch up on, but time is marching on - I'll have to learn to read more quickly :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Just had to say thank you to Birdie. Live in the moment and one day at a time - I think I can do this. Starting today. :wink: :wink:

:flowerforyou: Also wanted to thank you too Barbie :heart: at work yesterday I was cold, fed up with struggling with a presentation I'd been asked to transfer onto our new logo slides - I went to the radiator to get a warm - saw a bar of choclate that was on our "nibbles" desk and was heading towards it to break off a chunk when da da your quote came into my head! I thought what do I want most, do I really want the chocolate or do I want to be thin! I WANT TO BE THIN! (or at least thinner:bigsmile: ) so I went back to my desk without the chocolate :drinker: :drinker: so a big thank you Barbie.

:smile: Welcome back Mimi

Woops look at the time I'd better get a move on I still have the litter trays to empty and feed the hungry kittens then make myself presentable (takes longer every year :bigsmile: ) oh and I haven't had my brekky yet!

Have a good day all

Viv xx

PS A big welcome to all the newcomers
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hi yet again,

Lovely to read everyone's posts and keep up with it all...it is even more interesting because most of you live overseas from me and it certainly adds some variety to my life to read about experiences in different countries that I don't get here (e.g. snow, ponds, deer).

Thank you MacMadame on your insights re the scales...I have decided not to get them, certainly not yet anyway, and it sounds to me that my plain old weight scales (that I am starting to love!) and my tape measure are probably all I need.

I'm nearly at goal now. 16.8 kilos lost now (37 lbs) and 3.8 kilos (8lbs 6 ozs) to go, as of this morning's weigh in. I can't believe I'm so close after 18 months of dieting. And my trousers which have been taken in twice are way too loose again. I never ever imagined it would take me so long and I would hit two plateaus but MFP has got my weight on the way down again....yay!

Happy week to everybody! :flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Options
    good morning lovely ladies....

@janemartin02...have you tried insoles or those sneakers that have the wider sole towards the back of the shoe...the insoles help me...i used to be able to just wear cute flip flops during the day, but now i cant wear
    them for long, so i wear these thick soled flip flops and they seem to do the trick....feel better

@barbie...i love how active you are and how you are able to control yourself when around food...it is very encouraging...

@viv...GREAT job on not taking the chocolate...

@kathiemcn....you are almost at goal HOW awesome....keep it up

@christmaspudd...welcome this is a wonderful group

have a great day all im of to the gym(spinning class and weight training) then home ...i promised my youngest son i would make the red beans ...he loves them...:love:
  • Deeders
    Options
    Hi ladies....there appears to be a problem with the ticker!..... I lost a total of 12 pounds but my ticker didn't update... I went to the tech support message board and it appears several people are having this issue since yesterday......SO DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN!!!!:frown: :frown:

Hope everyone has a lovely day:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Deeders
    Options
    Awsome!!! :drinker: Great Job.... keep up to good work:flowerforyou: