WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    2638339ri42aw53bw.gif

I'm off to bed early so I've started the new thread for January......see you there :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/431848-women-ages-50-for-january-2012?page=1#posts-5971010
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year! Of course my resolution is to get rid of the last 33 lbs - want to be in shape for retirement!
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Yesterday was my first simple carb free day in way too long.

His sugar cookies remain, but my house is now purged of all other simple carbs and filled with high fiber, healthy things to reach for instead. I'm also working on getting my water intake back up to where it needs to be.

Hi Suzy,

Excuse my ignorance, but could you please tell me what a simple carb is as opposed to a complex carb?
    And what high fiber, healthy things you filled your cupboard with please? I am looking for ideas.

Thanks, Kathie :flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hi Suzy,

Excuse my ignorance, but could you please tell me what a simple carb is as opposed to a complex carb?
    And what high fiber, healthy things you filled your cupboard with please? I am looking for ideas.

Thanks, Kathie :flowerforyou:

Basically simple carbs are sugary and/or white. Things like fruit juice, sugar, flour, and things made from them like bread and pasta, white rice and white potatoes. Simple carbs are quickly turned to sugar in your body.

Complex carbohydrates provide a slower and more sustained release of energy than simple carbohydrates. A few examples are oatmeal and fruit.

I'll try to list my favorite healthy snacks for you tomorrow. Almonds and apples are at the top of my list.
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Thanks Suzy...that's an eye opener :smile:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Okay Kathy, Here is what is in simple carb-free my pantry these days Hope this helps :flowerforyou:

VEGGIES: Almost any vegetable except white potatoes.I try to eat broccoli and/or spinach every day.
    FRUIT: Berries, cherries, apples, pears, plums.
    FATS: olive oil, nuts, nut butter, avocados, dark chocolate
    DAIRY: cheese, cream cheese, Fiber One Yogurt
    MEATS: Eggs, Chicken, Fish, Crisp Bacon (I eat lean red meat once a week)
    GRAINS: Whole grains only. Oatmeal, not the instant kind, Whole grain pastas and breads, Brown Rice
    SUGAR: Stevia,

NO SUGAR, WHITE FLOUR, CORN, CORNMEAL, FRUIT JUICE, MILK or FATS OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED ABOVE.

I have a few high protein staples for my go-to afternoon snacks or on the run breakfast: EAS AdvantEdge Protein Shakes, Ezekiel Bread and Oh Yeah Fudge Brownie Protein Bars

Just remember the higher the amount of fiber, the more complex carbohydrate the food contains. A good guide is the glycemic index which you can find online or You can google simple carbs.
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Thanks a lot Suzy. That's a great help. See you on the January thread :-)