Horse Burgers

Options

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I responded to a post about this on FB and got demonized for my opinion. I have no problem with it as long as the horses are treated humanely in life but I feel that way about all animals even ones raised for consumption. As far as eating cats and dogs.. well, we already put down thousands of them. maybe we should just start exporting them. (*waits to be yelled at and told I'm evil*)

If they're being killed anyway.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for the guys at epic meal time to whip something up using this.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What should it be called? Like, beef is cow, pork is pig. I say we should call it Heef.

Filly-et mignon :laugh:

OMG I just snorted out loud!! That was a good one!! LOL :laugh:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Noo, I love horses :(

These horses were being slaughtered anyway. Read up on it.

Exactly. I actually read before I posted and found it very enlightening. See my post regarding tax money, creating jobs, the fact these horses are being slaughtered either way.. And that most of the meat will be shipped to countries that already consume it, not shipped to your local mcdonalds.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I know people are all freaked out about eating horse meat. But have you thought about clams and oysters? That's like eating a giant wad of snot.
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just read up on this. The said horses are already being sent to Canada and Mexico to be slaughtered... So if they begin allowing them to be slaughtered in the us, either way the horses have the same fate ( except creating jobs for Americans) also, they are not allocating new tax money to this endeavor, the department of agriculture must pull from current funds in order to pay for this. Also, these horses are old and too weak to work anymore... Plus apparently horse is leaner and has higher protein than lean beef. Most of the meat will be shipped to countries like france... Who already consume horse regularly. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about eating it, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like a terrible thing.
    Excuse run on sentences and poor punctuation, I'm on my phone and it's hard to type on the forums on here.

Plus unlike beef and lamb as horses age their meat becomes more tender. So a horse may live a full life and then in place of going in a grave, can be digested by humas.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Yeah congress just silently lifted a ban and horse meat can be processed for human consumption.

I think I'll pass.

however cow tongue is quite tender and tasty.

Not interested in eating something that can lick me back!! lmao :laugh:
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    sure ill eat it, hell we only live once right
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Would definitely try it. I would try most things. I tried chicken feet, which sounds (and looks) much worse than horse.

And you know, my aunt had a pet pig for many years but she still eats bacon.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I know people are all freaked out about eating horse meat. But have you thought about clams and oysters? That's like eating a giant wad of snot.

I love some clams on the half shell! Maybe I should eat more snot....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have a horse, and several of the horses that are at my barn have been rescued from slaughter. Horse slaughter has been banned here, but there's nothing stopping people from putting hundreds of horses at a time on stock trailers and hauling them to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. The animals going to be slaughter will end up there either way, unfortunately. If it is going to happen, I guess I'd rather it be here, where there can be some regulations put in place for their care, until slaughter.

I can say that I won't ever eat horse though.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yeah congress just silently lifted a ban and horse meat can be processed for human consumption.

I think I'll pass.

This is somewhat disappointing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I agree about oysters, especially when raw. It took me years before I got up the nerve to try them. Well, actually it might have been the large amount of wine that finally gave me the nerve. But they are awesome wads of snot when you add hot sauce.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Meh! meat is meat: beef, pork, chicken, horse, human. It's all the same. :devil:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong horse lover, have owned 2, and used to work in the industry (showing, not slaughter).

I have no problem with the slaughter of horses as long as it is done humanely. Unfortunately, the commercial slaughter system is set up for cattle, not horses. The double decker trailers they are often shipped in are dangerous and the captive bolt method of killing is sometimes off the mark with an animal as high strung as a horse, resulting is missed shots and cruel drawing out of the process.

Horses being pets also leads to the problem of not knowing what sort of meds and supplements they have been on prior to being slaughtered. Some random horse that ended up at an auction (race horses for example) could have been loaded up with bute (horse asprin) prior to the sale. Bute is toxic to humans. Without individual testing of every horse, you just don't know what you're getting.

I'm not too worried about finding Trigger in my burger any time soon. Beef is cheaper.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I eat no animal meat so the answer is a firm no. I'm a horse lover but I am aware that some countries treat horses as 'meat' and sadly many horses sold in britain head to France for meat. I say sadly because they boil and often die in lorries etc, if they were killed and slaughtered here then transported it would be more humane but there we are.

So.. if the Big Apple want to go down the line of eating horse, no one will stop them and I'm sure the likes of McD's will cash in on it.
    Angus beef is highly regarded over here for meat and they are the most gentle beautiful beasts... doesn't stop them being eaten and it won't save horses either.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    europe_2007.1191352500.horse-burger.jpg
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    I grew up with horses, so no, I wont try it. Same reason I wont eat dog and I just hate cats with a passion so I wont eat that either. I did have goat once in St Lucia. It was like a yucky beef. If i had grown up with pigs or cows as pets, I probably wouldnt eat those either. But since I didnt, bring on the burgers and the bacon biotches...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options

I think I'll pass.

This is somewhat disappointing.

:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: