X-Mas Gift Ideas: I'm a Guy in trouble...PLEASE HELP

Options
stresco
stresco Posts: 354 Member
I am your typical guy in a lot of ways... one if them being is I have NO IDEA how to choose a gift for my baby on Christmas... Last year I thought I was being clever getting her a portable DVD player to take on her trip (22 hour flight)... It was a total flop. PLEASE ladies, give me some help here. I need your insight into the female mind... She wont tell me what she wants... never seems to want anything... its so frustrating.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ya gotta tell us about the girl. Is she a girly girl? Hobbies? Interests? Give us more than you're a typical guy.
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Baby as in your daughter, girlfriend? Age? Hobbies?
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Diamonds
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Well, I probably wouldn't be any help because I thought the portable DVD player for a 22 hour flight was very thoughtful.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    http://www.tiffany.com/?siteid=1&omcid=MSN11777&iq_id=11156280&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=01+Branded+New+-+Phrase&utm_term=11156280-tiffany

They have all sorts of price ranges.

Or what kind of hobbies does she have? Honestly sometimes women prefer pretty to practical
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Some woman don't really want gifts. I sort of gave up, and then I discovered that the big hit was services that she could enjoy like nails, hair and that sort of thing. And for God's sake man, don't buy her clothes unless instructed!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Jewelry is always nice :) It's tricky though because most men have no idea what looks nice, so it might not be a bad idea to take her there and let her pick something out! Or get her something for one of her hobbies. Or a gift card to a place where she likes to shop!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, how about a gift certificate to a day spa...massage...something like that?
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    DO we really want him to get beat with said item?
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Tiffanys for sure
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Spa days are always appreciated here. I usually don't spend money on myself so a day of massage, pedi/mani and facial is a big hit.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Ya gotta tell us about the girl. Is she a girly girl? Hobbies? Interests? Give us more than you're a typical guy.

Agree.. give us some details about her. Is she into purses, jewlery or what?
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options

apron and oven mitts?
    :wink:
  • stresco
    Options

Type: Girly Girl

Work: Nurse

Hobbies\interests:
    Kick Boxing
    Health/fitness
    Running
    Plays Piano
    Likes Art (paintings)
    Enjoys musicals and theater
    SCUBA
    Ex-Professional Dancer
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If electronics was not a hit I would go with jewelry or a spa day. Sounds like she's more girly? Was she maybe expecting a certain ring last year? Like the others have said, you need to go with what she likes i.e. jewelry, salon stuff, expensive purses (I like Coach) etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am your typical guy in a lot of ways... one if them being is I have NO IDEA how to choose a gift for my baby on Christmas... Last year I thought I was being clever getting her a portable DVD player to take on her trip (22 hour flight)... It was a total flop. PLEASE ladies, give me some help here. I need your insight into the female mind... She wont tell me what she wants... never seems to want anything... its so frustrating.
    I don't know how much help I'd be. I think that was a great gift.

What are some of her interests? There isn't really a template gift that all women would love. We're individual people with individual likes and interests. For example, most women would love something in diamonds, but I wouldn't. I find them boring and cliche.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Some woman don't really want gifts. I sort of gave up, and then I discovered that the big hit was services that she could enjoy like nails, hair and that sort of thing. And for God's sake man, don't buy her clothes unless instructed!

This!!! I love massages, manicure, pedicure, coupons for day off of cooking (and not this doesn't mean you just go out to eat or bring home fast food). Is she into fitness, Itunes gift cards for new music?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    For me, memories trump a wrapped gift. Albeit there are time when both are appropriate and Christmas may be one of them.

I enjoy a weekend away, a scavenger hunt with small gifts found with each clue leading to my favorite restaurant, a trip to a city I've never been, etc.

Then I take one or two of the photos taken and frame it and can always look back with a smile on my face. (Providing the experience was a good one. :wink: )
  • stresco
    Options

apron and oven mitts?
    :wink:

You guys are trying to get me killed.