X-Mas Gift Ideas: I'm a Guy in trouble...PLEASE HELP

Options

Replies

• stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...

Of course she was thankful and great-full for the gift. She would never say that she didnt like something I gave her. She's not like that at all. But when she opened it, I could see the lack of excitement in her eyes. I don't want that to happen again.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Type: Girly Girl

Work: Nurse

Hobbies\interests:
    Kick Boxing
    Health/fitness
    Running
    Plays Piano
    Likes Art (paintings)
    Enjoys musicals and theater
    SCUBA
    Ex-Professional Dancer
    Engagement ring ! She sound amaizing! :) Ok , not my business...... a spa day with full body massage I think will be appreciated , Maybe you guys can share the day , kind of you taking care of her- spa day , late lunch , musical show.....
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    hahahahahah this made me laugh HARD! EVERY woman likes gifts, we may say we dont want anything but you best be getting us something!!!!

Sorry, nope. Unless you include experiences in that definition of gift. I don't generally want gifts unless there is something I really need - like a couple seasons ago when my SO bough me a much needed new winter jacket. Otherwise, we don't do item gifts for any holiday. If we even celebrate anything, we'll go to a favorite restaurant, go for a hike someplace we don't usually go because of distance, something like that. Though I admit a spa day would be nice - but again, that's an experience, not an item.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would say a spa pkg....massage, pedi, nail, facial...etc :D
    if she likes theater/musicals/art how about tickets ....you could always do romantic dinner then go to the show
    magazine subscription to health magazine, prevention...etc
    nice necklace or earrings
    flowers
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am your typical guy in a lot of ways... one if them being is I have NO IDEA how to choose a gift for my baby on Christmas... Last year I thought I was being clever getting her a portable DVD player to take on her trip (22 hour flight)... It was a total flop. PLEASE ladies, give me some help here. I need your insight into the female mind... She wont tell me what she wants... never seems to want anything... its so frustrating.

Is she romantic? How about the heart collection by Jane Seymour? Gorgeous!!! At Kay Jewelers. Candles, comfy pajama's.

Go in her makeup bag, write down what her mascara, eye liner foundation is.. Put it in her stocking, ( I know a guy that did this, so romantic)

CDs by her favorite artist.

If she works out a HRM, sneakers, jogging clothes.

If she is thin, candy.

Send flowers the day before.

Lottery tickets.

A gift certificate to her favorite store. (In her stocking)

I have plenty more/
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I would say a spa pkg....massage, pedi, nail, facial...etc :D
    if she likes theater/musicals/art how about tickets ....you could always do romantic dinner then go to the show
    magazine subscription to health magazine, prevention...etc
    nice necklace or earrings
    flowers

Awesome ideas.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Sandwich making kit.
  • taraatwood
    Options
    - boots
    - sephora make-up, "fresh" lotions
    - ipad2 (have one but this is a good idea)
    - spin class gift certificate or some type of core class
    - massage / facial (spa day)
    - JEWELRY
    - do not buy clothes and if you do don't get too big a size or she will be OFFENDED. rather smaller and she has to return to get bigger size.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a spa day. Working as a nurse can be super stressful. I would suggest either getting a pre-planned spa package, or a gift certificate with enough to get several spa treaments. Full body detox's feel great. I don't know how well they work, but they are wonderful while you're getting them!

If not, try something different. Instead of the standard white diamond studs, go for colored diamond earings! You can find really nice blue diamond studs on overstock.com! blue diamonds are much rarer and have a brilliance of their own seperate from white diamonds! Also, check the Levian chocolate diamonds collection at Kay's or Jared's. 'cause all women love 2 things: Chocolate & Sparklies!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:

Your are kidding, right? Haha
  • taraatwood
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on limb here... as your girlfriend, you probably know a lot about her. There has got to be something she talks about doing or something she always puts off getting for herself. Maybe you have heard her say, "I love massages! I just never get around to going to get one.." or like, "Dang, this fun hobby would be even more cool with that extra hobby-related item!" Don't over think it and don't default to what women on the internet tell you to do.

.... ... wait a tick....

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...

That's not fair.

I'm sure she was very thankful for the gift.

Many women prefer something personal over something functional. That doesn't make her a "picky little princess". Men are typically the opposite.

You live and learn, that's why he came here to ask for ideas.

AGREE! Woman prefer something personal over a big gift!!!! so I don't think it was a FLOP i just think she probably didn't think maybe thought was behind it... my friend's bf got her an ipad for her bday and she cried on phone with me not bc she wasn't grateful but bc she thought he didn't THINK about it... which he didn't b/c he emailed me like 1 hour before her bday dinner and asked if i thought that was a good idea and then ran out and got it... they like ROMANCE!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Every girl should have a set of durable diamond earring studs with screw backs. They are fairly reasonable if you shop correctly. The screw back part is very important! I wear mine all the time and take them out about once a month for a good cleaning. A daily dose of rubbing alcohol applied with cotton balls works well.
    I would absolutely hate that as a gift. I never wear studs and I don't care for diamonds. That's why it's about what SHE would like, not what "women" like.

Wow!! I never knew there were woman who didn't like diamonds. Your husband is a lucky man.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Of course she was thankful and great-full for the gift. She would never say that she didnt like something I gave her. She's not like that at all. But when she opened it, I could see the lack of excitement in her eyes. I don't want that to happen again.

Well, here's the way I look at it ... if she's not going to tell you what she wants, then she's going to get what you give her. I really freaking hate the whole, "I don't want anything (but you better get me something)" mentality women seem to adopt. I'm really sorry for calling your girl a picky princess... I just don't like the fact that some women seem to make it really hard for men to please them, even when they try.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    More:

Gift card or certificate to an upscale restaurant (assuming you don't normally do this)

or

Loosely plan a weekend getaway (after the holidays) it can be somewhere out of town, or even at a nice hotel (or B&B) near you.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I personally like presents that thought has went into. My boyfriend last Christmas bought me a Beethoven CD because I love Classical music; a Pegasus bookmark because I study the Ancient Greeks; a monkey hat that I'd seen out in Edinburgh with him and loved so he went and got it as a surprise and a Kermit teddy because I love Kermit. Nothing super expensive but I loved it all the same 'cause he'd put thought into everything.

Your girl plays piano, so do I and would love a piano book (although this could be tricky if you're not a musician yourself and don't know what book would be her ability level). She's into Kickboxing so what about a pair of kickboxing trousers or a kick stand or pad or something she can practice with?

Or how about you arrange something as a surprise for her eg. a short break away if you know her shifts; a day out to somewhere she'd like. I'd LOVE something like that off my boyfriend. Shows he's put thought into it and also lets me spend time with him doing something fun and nice.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    A new gaming computer?
    Star Wars :The Old Republic?
    Skyrim?
    Tickets to Coachella
    A plane ticket to Seychelles?
    A year subscription to Surface?
    Hmm, all I know is that these gifts would make me amazingly happy. Maybe I should forward this list to my husband, haha?
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Sandwich making kit.

I hope you are joking!!
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me, memories trump a wrapped gift. Albeit there are time when both are appropriate and Christmas may be one of them.

I enjoy a weekend away, a scavenger hunt with small gifts found with each clue leading to my favorite restaurant, a trip to a city I've never been, etc.

Then I take one or two of the photos taken and frame it and can always look back with a smile on my face. (Providing the experience was a good one. :wink: )

This person is a TRUE ROMANTIC....Love your ideas...
  • StevieDeh
    Options
    I've learned that anything with an electrical cord is not a good idea for any kind of gift for a women (learned the hard way from experience)
  • peaceinside
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:
    I'd say you are trying to get him in trouble :grumble: