X-Mas Gift Ideas: I'm a Guy in trouble...PLEASE HELP

Options

Replies

• sambo155
    Options
    Yep, we need to know more about her. You're girlfriend, I assume? Some girls (like me) don't want jewelry. I'd rather have something practical. Or something fun and/or artsy.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    A sack of C-notes always keeps me out of trouble with the missus. The bigger, the better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Type: Girly Girl

Work: Nurse

Hobbies\interests:
    Kick Boxing
    Health/fitness
    Running
    Plays Piano
    Likes Art (paintings)
    Enjoys musicals and theater
    SCUBA
    Ex-Professional Dancer

How about a nice framed print of her favorite painting? Tickets to the theater to a show she's always wanted to see? What kind of dancer was she?
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If she's girly.. I would go the designer purse route, that coule earn you some points there. For jewelry, you need to figure out if she likes yellow gold or white. You could pick out the perfect ring / earrings, but if it's the wrong color she will not wear it.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Woman book? Seems to be pretty popular 'round these MFP parts...
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Every girl should have a set of durable diamond earring studs with screw backs. They are fairly reasonable if you shop correctly. The screw back part is very important! I wear mine all the time and take them out about once a month for a good cleaning. A daily dose of rubbing alcohol applied with cotton balls works well.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If she's into musicals/theatre, get her tickets to a show!

ETA: You could make a mini getaway package out of it and get a nice hotel room for the night of the show.
  • rossi02
    Options
    Every girl should have a set of durable diamond earring studs with screw backs. They are fairly reasonable if you shop correctly. The screw back part is very important! I wear mine all the time and take them out about once a month for a good cleaning. A daily dose of rubbing alcohol applied with cotton balls works well.

Agreed.. it's very rare I take mine out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely hate that as a gift. I never wear studs and I don't care for diamonds. That's why it's about what SHE would like, not what "women" like.
  • amybundren
    Options
    Im that kind of girl who never wants anything either. When my husband ask me what I want I never have an answer for him. It's because just being with my family and friends is the best gift. However, it's nice to be surprised with a gift. For me, even though i dont wear lots of jewelry, a nice classic piece of jewelry is a wonderful gift. For example, classic white diamond earings or neclace. Also, think about something she has talked about over the last year. I have talked about learning how to play the ukele and it's something I have wanted for a while. If my husband were to surprise me with a uke and some lessons, that would be really awesome. I know us women can be hard to read sometime, but really think about your girlfriends hobbies and interest.

Good luck! Happy Holidays!
  • rossi02
    Options
    I would absolutely hate that as a gift. I never wear studs and I don't care for diamonds. That's why it's about what SHE would like, not what "women" like.

HAHA.. I think this is why we confuse men so much. Sometimes I feel bad for guys. I'm guilty myself of thinking.. "Yea.. all women would like this". If only it were that easy!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:

LOL smartass! :laugh:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:
    DO we really want him to get beat with said item?

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE TOLD THAT'S WHAT SHE WANTS! I am one of those weird women who actually like these kind of gifts, but only when I ask for it. Most women NEVER like to get these kind of things for Christmas.

P.S. Has she been talking more lately of things she liked? If she has, PAY ATTENTION, that is her subtle way of telling you WHAT she wants!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I am your typical guy in a lot of ways... one if them being is I have NO IDEA how to choose a gift for my baby on Christmas... Last year I thought I was being clever getting her a portable DVD player to take on her trip (22 hour flight)... It was a total flop. PLEASE ladies, give me some help here. I need your insight into the female mind... She wont tell me what she wants... never seems to want anything... its so frustrating.

Woment like things that refract light. Get her a tennis bracelet, Diamond Ear rings. Somthing that sparkles.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Agreed big time
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on limb here... as your girlfriend, you probably know a lot about her. There has got to be something she talks about doing or something she always puts off getting for herself. Maybe you have heard her say, "I love massages! I just never get around to going to get one.." or like, "Dang, this fun hobby would be even more cool with that extra hobby-related item!" Don't over think it and don't default to what women on the internet tell you to do.

.... ... wait a tick....

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Type: Girly Girl

Work: Nurse

Hobbies\interests:
    Kick Boxing
    Health/fitness
    Running
    Plays Piano
    Likes Art (paintings)
    Enjoys musicals and theater
    SCUBA
    Ex-Professional Dancer

How about a nice framed print of her favorite painting? Tickets to the theater to a show she's always wanted to see? What kind of dancer was she?

I agree with the theater! A nice pair of earrings to wear to the theater with you one night?
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Honestly give her something personal, something that reminds you of her, maybe necklace, etc or something absolutely silly, anything that will remind her of you... She will love this because you thought of her when you got it, and its something she can use and carry with her to remind her of you!

Also you can do a combo to make her feel really special like get a Spa Package, one where she can get facial, massage, nails and ton of other stuff. And maybe give her a Visa Gift card with note to treat herself to whatever she likes. On her birthday treat her to something special like dinner or lunch, wake her up with flowers by the bedside and maybe make her breakfast. Or send her flowers to her work, just fill the day with things that will make her feel really special.

Thins like that are so romantic, just make her feel as special as she is to you :)
  • justTori
    Options
    hahahahahah this made me laugh HARD! EVERY woman likes gifts, we may say we dont want anything but you best be getting us something!!!!
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on limb here... as your girlfriend, you probably know a lot about her. There has got to be something she talks about doing or something she always puts off getting for herself. Maybe you have heard her say, "I love massages! I just never get around to going to get one.." or like, "Dang, this fun hobby would be even more cool with that extra hobby-related item!" Don't over think it and don't default to what women on the internet tell you to do.

.... ... wait a tick....

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...

That's not fair.

I'm sure she was very thankful for the gift.

Many women prefer something personal over something functional. That doesn't make her a "picky little princess". Men are typically the opposite.

You live and learn, that's why he came here to ask for ideas.