X-Mas Gift Ideas: I'm a Guy in trouble...PLEASE HELP

Options

Replies

• stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...

Of course she was thankful and great-full for the gift. She would never say that she didnt like something I gave her. She's not like that at all. But when she opened it, I could see the lack of excitement in her eyes. I don't want that to happen again.

Well, here's the way I look at it ... if she's not going to tell you what she wants, then she's going to get what you give her. I really freaking hate the whole, "I don't want anything (but you better get me something)" mentality women seem to adopt. I'm really sorry for calling your girl a picky princess... I just don't like the fact that some women seem to make it really hard for men to please them, even when they try.

Once again... That is not her at all... She really doesn't expect or want anything from me, other then the time we spend together. The gifts I give her are for me as much as for her. I get pleasure/joy in seeing her face light up with happiness. I guess I am selfish?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on limb here... as your girlfriend, you probably know a lot about her. There has got to be something she talks about doing or something she always puts off getting for herself. Maybe you have heard her say, "I love massages! I just never get around to going to get one.." or like, "Dang, this fun hobby would be even more cool with that extra hobby-related item!" Don't over think it and don't default to what women on the internet tell you to do.

.... ... wait a tick....

You gave her a gift of a portable DVD player and it 'flopped' .. meaning she wasn't thankful and gracious for something her boyfriend had given her out of kindness? ... hmmm... maybe you should panic about what to get your picky little princess then...

That's not fair.

I'm sure she was very thankful for the gift.

Many women prefer something personal over something functional. That doesn't make her a "picky little princess". Men are typically the opposite.

You live and learn, that's why he came here to ask for ideas.

AGREE! Woman prefer something personal over a big gift!!!! so I don't think it was a FLOP i just think she probably didn't think maybe thought was behind it... my friend's bf got her an ipad for her bday and she cried on phone with me not bc she wasn't grateful but bc she thought he didn't THINK about it... which he didn't b/c he emailed me like 1 hour before her bday dinner and asked if i thought that was a good idea and then ran out and got it... they like ROMANCE!

If you asked me right now if I'd rather have diamond earrings or a tablet computer, I'd pick the tablet. I can always ask for diamond earrings for my birthday .... Women are NOT all obsessed with diamonds, either... and we don't all want something romantic and sentimental all the time. My original suggestion for OP to think about what he may have heard his gf mention still stands, because neither you nor I can ever really know what's not going to 'flop' for some women we've never met.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My son is dating a girl who has everything. She told him not to spend a lot.

This is what my son is doing. He bought a beautiful music box that has to be put together. Not a simple kit though. It plays music like a player piano. As he is building it, he id going to take pictures of himself at different stages building it. She loves Dexter so he is going to put that song in the box. I have no clue what kind of kit it is, but he said it is intricate. He bought a guitar and built it from the same site.

I think this is very romantic and thoughtful He didn't just go in a store and buy something.
  • infamousmk
    Options

Of course she was thankful and great-full for the gift. She would never say that she didnt like something I gave her. She's not like that at all. But when she opened it, I could see the lack of excitement in her eyes. I don't want that to happen again.

Well, here's the way I look at it ... if she's not going to tell you what she wants, then she's going to get what you give her. I really freaking hate the whole, "I don't want anything (but you better get me something)" mentality women seem to adopt. I'm really sorry for calling your girl a picky princess... I just don't like the fact that some women seem to make it really hard for men to please them, even when they try.

Once again... That is not her at all... She really doesn't expect or want anything from me, other then the time we spend together. The gifts I give her are for me as much as for her. I get pleasure/joy in seeing her face light up with happiness. I guess I am selfish?

Hmmm .... yes, a selfish man may not know what his woman likes or is interested in.....
  • jernigan51
    Options
    Does she have a Nook/Kindle/etc, you could get her a gift card to download some new books, or iTunes gift cards for some music if she has an iPod...

Sorry, these are thing I want for Xmas this year, lol! So you never know!
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    New Toaster? Vacuum cleaner? :laugh:

Your are kidding, right? Haha

dont forget the Blender! :P

on a more serious note... i'd go down the pamper session or spa day ... unless your absolutely sure of what kind of jewelry she likes/wants.... women can be fairly fussy when it comes to chains/necklaces/bracelets etc.....

and a nice bunch of flowers to go with that spa day voucher wouldnt go amiss :P
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've learned that anything with an electrical cord is not a good idea for any kind of gift for a women (learned the hard way from experience)

Not true--my boyfriend got me a netbook for Christmas two years ago and I absolutely loved it!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I think you should give her the gift of freedom to find a more observant boyfriend.

You've been dating her for at least a year and you have a tertiary idea of her hobbies...but what do you know of her as a person?

Frankly, for all the talk that women are hard to read, they're not. With minimal effort, you should be able to realize that your girlfriend is telling you exactly what she wants from you.
    -wtk
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't know what to get her. You said she is into fitness, but is a girly girl. So maybe something fitness related that she doesn't have. I like (I can't remember who posted it) the weekend getaway idea. Something romantic that would fit into her girly girl type, but still be fun for both of you.

My husband gave me these gifts for the last few years:

Footed pajamas (he got mad when I didn't wear them, and told me his ex wife loved the pair he got for her)
    A vacuum (we needed it)
    A vacuum (because the previous year's vacuum broke)
    An 8GB SD card for my digital camera.

As long as it comes from the heart, I think she should like it.

BTW I love the fact that it's still 25 day's 'till Christmas and you are already thinking of it. :bigsmile:
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Loosely plan a weekend getaway (after the holidays) it can be somewhere out of town, or even at a nice hotel (or B&B) near you.

Ha! I was just going to suggest this
    Bed & Breakfast are awesome!!!!!
    a wkend getaway is heavenly...:D
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    I think you should give her the gift of freedom to find a more observant boyfriend.

You've been dating her for at least a year and you have a tertiary idea of her hobbies...but what do you know of her as a person?

Frankly, for all the talk that women are hard to read, they're not. With minimal effort, you should be able to realize that your girlfriend is telling you exactly what she wants from you.
    -wtk

I think your being a bit harsh lol , I've been with my fiance for eight YEARS and still struggle to buy for him, and he has the same problem with me sometimes - its not that he's not observant ( and vice versa) ... just sometimes the closest people to you are the hardest to please in a way ... just depends entirely on the situation and the kind of person you are buying for !
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    To expound upon my prior point, Christmas and birthdays and Valentine's Days are the wrong time to show someone how much you care. No matter what the gift is, you will never get the same reaction you get when you bring home flowers and Thai food after what was a ****ty day for her at work. Is it your fault? No. It's the nature of holidays. Everyone expects something great and purchasers feel the need to upstage previous gifts.

I don't buy into the whole holiday conceit. Don't get me wrong, I like the get-togethers with friends and family all the same. But I don't need a special day on the calendar to say, "Now is about the time to see those distant relatives you never see, or meet up with friends from college, etc."

Best of luck with your efforts.
    -wtk
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If she's into musicals and theater, then take her to see a show! Give her the tickets as the gift and go all out for that event.. Get dressed up and take her to a nice dinner beforehand. She'll love it! If you can't find a show she'll love, then I'd say maybe get the newest version of her running shoes and put a gift certificate for her favorite spa with them so she can go get pampered after kicking butt in the gym :) Good luck!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I would def not call you selfish!
    I love giving gifts for the same reason.....to see their faces light up, the joy & happiness you see is the best part of giving :)
    Make it a wkend getaway for 2; couple spa pkg....dinner....ticket to a show......flowers......
  • stresco
    Options

---Wow really--- Guess I know who wins the D1ck of the year award.

---I know enough to not post details like this up on a web site.

-wtk

--- :/ Either I missed that day in class or your more in touch with your feminine side then I am.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    To expound upon my prior point, Christmas and birthdays and Valentine's Days are the wrong time to show someone how much you care. No matter what the gift is, you will never get the same reaction you get when you bring home flowers and Thai food after what was a ****ty day for her at work. Is it your fault? No. It's the nature of holidays. Everyone expects something great and purchasers feel the need to upstage previous gifts.

I don't buy into the whole holiday conceit. Don't get me wrong, I like the get-togethers with friends and family all the same. But I don't need a special day on the calendar to say, "Now is about the time to see those distant relatives you never see, or meet up with friends from college, etc."

-wtk

I LIKE YOU!!!!! Personally, I am doing everything in my power to get all of those around me to stop buying each other crap we don't need for this Holy of Holiest Consumer Spending Days....

You wanna know why? I couldn't tell you what my boyfriend gave me for Christmas last year.. but I can tell you the last time he stopped on the way home from work and picked up my favorite beer as a surprise. And I can tell you all about the time I was home sick from work and he brought me hot and sour soup from my favorite chinese restaurant.. I know exactly when he last kissed me on my forehead and did something silly to make me laugh when I was feeling blue. THESE THINGS are one million times more important to me than any obligatory holiday gift.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I'm really surprised at the post bashing the girlfriend and the poster. I think it's sounds like a very normal relationship. Also, I really agree with who gave you props for thinking about this so far in advance. My husband usually does something along these lines for me. He'll pick out something he knows for sure I would like. Watch, necklace or something.. then he will pick out a perfume that he loves for me. Then usually a smaller, cheaper shot in the dark gift. This way he covers all areas. Something that he know will be a hit... something that shows he picked out something he thought I would like.. and then a little something that's out of the norm for us.
  • stresco
    Options
    Wow.. I'm really surprised at the post bashing the girlfriend and the poster...

I'm not, Its the Internet and Its to be expected.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that females are not interchangable, and have very different ideas about what would be a perfect gift...me for example would hate diamonds, as I don't wear jewerly and have absolutely no use for them...I would however love an imersion blender - but then, I'm a totally practical girl and don't like having stuff just for the sake of stuff! So here's my suggestion (take it or leave it) =)

Give her a day of your undivided attention - but it needs to be about HER! Using your list of her type and preferences, a suggestion would be:
    1 - gift certificate to a day spa ...drop her off, pick her up, then take her to lunch and maybe an art museum
    2 - gift card for her favorite store - make her breakfast, then take her shopping
    3 - tickets to ballet/theater - nice dinner to her restaurant of choice, then the show

Depending on finances, 1, 2 and 3 can be adjusted and combined for a full day that's totally about her :flowerforyou:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

-wtk

I LIKE YOU!!!!! Personally, I am doing everything in my power to get all of those around me to stop buying each other crap we don't need for this Holy of Holiest Consumer Spending Days....

You wanna know why? I couldn't tell you what my boyfriend gave me for Christmas last year.. but I can tell you the last time he stopped on the way home from work and picked up my favorite beer as a surprise. And I can tell you all about the time I was home sick from work and he brought me hot and sour soup from my favorite chinese restaurant.. I know exactly when he last kissed me on my forehead and did something silly to make me laugh when I was feeling blue. THESE THINGS are one million times more important to me than any obligatory holiday gift.

Yep, to both.