On MSG and Genetically Modified plants

Options

Replies

• M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Abstract

Human pharmacokinetics data indicate that i.v. ascorbic acid (ascorbate) in pharmacologic concentrations could have an unanticipated role in cancer treatment. Our goals here were to test whether ascorbate killed cancer cells selectively, and if so, to determine mechanisms, using clinically relevant conditions. Cell death in 10 cancer and 4 normal cell types was measured by using 1-h exposures. Normal cells were unaffected by 20 mM ascorbate, whereas 5 cancer lines had EC50 values of <4 mM, a concentration easily achievable i.v. Human lymphoma cells were studied in detail because of their sensitivity to ascorbate (EC50 of 0.5 mM) and suitability for addressing mechanisms. Extracellular but not intracellular ascorbate mediated cell death, which occurred by apoptosis and pyknosis/necrosis. Cell death was independent of metal chelators and absolutely dependent on H2O2 formation. Cell death from H2O2 added to cells was identical to that found when H2O2 was generated by ascorbate treatment. H2O2 generation was dependent on ascorbate concentration, incubation time, and the presence of 0.5-10% serum, and displayed a linear relationship with ascorbate radical formation. Although ascorbate addition to medium generated H2O2, ascorbate addition to blood generated no detectable H2O2 and only trace detectable ascorbate radical. Taken together, these data indicate that ascorbate at concentrations achieved only by i.v. administration may be a pro-drug for formation of H2O2, and that blood can be a delivery system of the pro-drug to tissues. These findings give plausibility to i.v. ascorbic acid in cancer treatment, and have unexpected implications for treatment of infections where H2O2 may be beneficial.

http://www.pnas.org/content/102/38/13604.full

Above is a link to the full article. I'm surprised nobody has talked about these already proven truths and facts. It goes to show you that mother nature knows more than any scientist. We just have to open our eyes. Soon the internet won't be free anymore so take advantage of it while you can. Conspiracists believe that the recent attack by the government on its own USPS is the start of communication freedom being eroded. glados and bekah could probably decipher the information to the link I sent better than I. Please look and tell me what you think
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget nitrates. Cured meat is the devil, but nitrates are found in much higher concentrations in vegetables.

Hot Dogs/Cured meat 10ppm

arugula 4,677 ppm

basil 2,292 ppm

butterhead lettuce 2,026 ppm

beets 1,279 ppm

celery 1,103 ppm

spinach 1,066 ppm

pumpkin 874 ppm

I knew there was a reason I didn't like arugula :( Damn nitrates.

It's been my understanding that it isn't nitrates that are the problem in cured meats but rather the nitrosamines that they form in your stomach when mixed with your stomach acids. the nitrosamines are the suspected cancer causing agents. Nitrosamines are neutralized by Vitamin C, so I imagine arugula and some of these other things mentioned above would not form nitrosamines due to the vit C content. If you have a BLT, the Tomato neutralizes the nitrosamine effect of the bacon. Orange juice with bacon will do the same thing.

Still not an issue:

"Not all cured meat products contain nitrosamines; when present, they usually are in very minute amounts. According to S.R. Tannenbaum and T.Y. Fan in "Uncertainties about Nitrosamine Formation in and from Foods," proceedings from the Meat Industry Research Conference, University of Chicago, 1973, many variables influence nitrosamine levels: amount of nitrite added during processing, concentrations of amines in meat, type and amounts of other ingredients used in processing, actual processing conditions, length of storage, storage temperatures, method of cooking, and degree of doneness. For example, the USDA now requires adding ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or erythorbic acid to bacon cure, a practice that greatly reduces the formation of nitrosamines. "

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    She is saying that nitrosamines are a by product of nitrates and stomach acid reaction. I believe that it is hydrochloric acid in which starts the process that produces nitrosamines
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Above is a link to the full article. I'm surprised nobody has talked about these already proven truths and facts. It goes to show you that mother nature knows more than any scientist.

LOLWUT?

The study showed that Vitamin C in "pharmacological doses" may be effective in treating cancer. How, pray tell, does that lead to "mother nature knows more than any scientist"????

And the study was funded by the same GUBMINT that you are so afraid of.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Above is a link to the full article. I'm surprised nobody has talked about these already proven truths and facts. It goes to show you that mother nature knows more than any scientist. We just have to open our eyes. Soon the internet won't be free anymore so take advantage of it while you can. Conspiracists believe that the recent attack by the government on its own USPS is the start of communication freedom being eroded. glados and bekah could probably decipher the information to the link I sent better than I. Please look and tell me what you think

i don't really want to jump into this, so will only comment on the above
    [Clinical pharmacokinetics analyses show that pharmacologic concentrations of plasma ascorbate, from 0.3 to 15 mM, are achievable only from i.v. administration (7). These concentrations are cleared within hours by renal filtration and excretion. In contrast, plasma ascorbate concentrations from maximum possible oral doses cannot exceed 0.22 mM because of limited intestinal absorption, which is bypassed with i.v. administration

please read that and tell me how that relates to mother nature

and what is this about the USPS? the same USPS that has a monopoly on first class mail and has been swimming in red ink for years? the same USPS that just handed out very generous benefits and wages in their latest labor negations, even though they are deep in the red? there was no attack by anyone they shot themselves in the foot by continually giving into their unions and not being forward thinking enough

read about the privatization of postal services in europe and how that improved services and saved taxpayers money.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Vitamin C has been successful at curing or treating. Not sure which, but thats better than all the other pharma crap. And the USPS is a monopoly, but the government has interfered with their employees health care system starting a downward spiral in which they are now in discussion of making it privatized, just exactly as in Europe. Europe had to change their whole monetary system to the Euro and now is on the brink of financial meltdown just like what is happening here in USA. World banks in collusion with the Federal Reserve are pushing for a one world currency, simultaneously as the US dollar devalues.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Vitamin C has been successful at curing or treating. Not sure which, but thats better than all the other pharma crap. And the USPS is a monopoly, but the government has interfered with their employees health care system starting a downward spiral in which they are now in discussion of making it privatized, just exactly as in Europe. Europe had to change their whole monetary system to the Euro and now is on the brink of financial meltdown just like what is happening here in USA. World banks in collusion with the Federal Reserve are pushing for a one world currency, simultaneously as the US dollar devalues.
    Ascorbic acid (vitamin C, ascorbate) has a controversial history in cancer treatment (1). Observational reports described ascorbate, given in pharmacologic doses of 10 g daily, as effective in treating some cancers and in improving patient well-being (2-4). Subsequently, the same dose had no effect on patient well-being and survival in two double-blind placebo-controlled trials, and ascorbate was discarded as a treatment modality (5, 6). Recent clinical evidence, however, indicates that the role of ascorbate in cancer treatment should be examined anew (7). The originally reported observational studies used i.v. and oral ascorbate, but the subsequent double-blind placebo-controlled studies used only oral ascorbate. It was not recognized that the route of ascorbate administration might produce large differences in plasma concentrations. Recent pharmacokinetics studies in men and women show that 10 g of ascorbate given i.v. is expected to produce plasma concentrations of nearly 6 mM, which are >25-fold higher than those concentrations from the same oral dose (7-9). As much as a 70-fold difference in plasma concentrations is expected between oral and i.v. administration, depending on dose. Despite inconsistencies, some in vitro studies showed that ascorbate killed cancer cells, although mechanisms and physiologic relevance were unclear (10-12). Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners worldwide currently use ascorbate i.v. in some patients, in part because there is no apparent harm (13-15).

How did the government interfere with their employees health care? have you read GAO reports on the unsustainable business model the USPS has? Not just recent ones but ones for years that have warned about their model
    Europe had to change their whole monetary system to the Euro and now is on the brink of financial meltdown just like what is happening here in USA. World banks in collusion with the Federal Reserve are pushing for a one world currency, simultaneously as the US dollar devalues.

mom-bring-me-my-tin-foil-hat-thumb.jpg
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that one of the reasons people were scared of GMOs was because they feared they would somehow alter their DNA. Wow! That is actually pretty funny... and sad.

Techniquely, your DNA can be altered by UV rays, beer, whiskey, burnt meat, lotions, make-up, food preservatives (probably meaning this), cereal grains, peanut butter, and a whole crapload of other things, but it's usually not major.

By the way, that wasn't trying to be rude, I'm just saying this because I love filling people with useless information. =)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't know if articles on naturalnews are credible, but I do know reading the articles there is very depressing.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    But we also have to ask ourselves (especially since Big Pharma has big investments in Big Food and Big Ag, as well as Monsanto), would we need to have all of these therapies to cure breast cancer if we had taken steps to prevent it in the first place? Not allowed our environment and our food to be contributing to disease? Who's spending money on that? Certainly not Big Pharma. We most definitely do not have a good system in place to properly treat and cure disease, and our efforts are focused far too much in one direction.

Also, someone mentioned there was GM wheat, which is not true (that I know of). No one has developed it (yet).

The greatest risk factor for breast cancer? ESTROGEN.

I don't think an environmental link has been proven, at least not definitively. There's some hints here and there, but if you suggest that we take steps to eliminate breast cancer, the most logical step would be an ovariectomy before we hit puberty.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

How did the government interfere with their employees health care? have you read GAO reports on the unsustainable business model the USPS has? Not just recent ones but ones for years that have warned about their model

Are you a sheople?
    SHEOPLE DEFINED:

The definition of a sheople: NOUN (plural only) Hybrid of sheep and people. One who mindlessly follows others like a herd of sheep. (derogatory slang) People who unquestioningly accept as true whatever their political leaders say or who adopt popular opinion as their own without scrutiny. Unable to think freely, kin to a Zombie, brain dead. Possibly make a good politician.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Are you a sheople?
    SHEOPLE DEFINED:

The definition of a sheople: NOUN (plural only) Hybrid of sheep and people. One who mindlessly follows others like a herd of sheep. (derogatory slang) People who unquestioningly accept as true whatever their political leaders say or who adopt popular opinion as their own without scrutiny. Unable to think freely, kin to a Zombie, brain dead. Possibly make a good politician.

So anyone with an ounce of critical thinking you call sheep? As opposed to someone who believes every crackpot conspiracy theory that comes around?

How about actually answering the question?
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Yes, there are genetically modified wheats. A quick search confirmed that. I don't know if they are in the food supply yet, but they are certainly in development.

Here's a good article from PLOS (a solid journal): http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0011405

They look at some environmental concerns for a strain of transgenic wheat.
  • Acg67
    Options

Are you a sheople?
    SHEOPLE DEFINED:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_23/b4231060885070.htm
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Are you a sheople?
    SHEOPLE DEFINED:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_23/b4231060885070.htm

You don't actually believe that propaganda, do you?

YOU MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Abstract

Human pharmacokinetics data indicate that i.v. ascorbic acid (ascorbate) in pharmacologic concentrations could have an unanticipated role in cancer treatment. Our goals here were to test whether ascorbate killed cancer cells selectively, and if so, to determine mechanisms, using clinically relevant conditions. Cell death in 10 cancer and 4 normal cell types was measured by using 1-h exposures. Normal cells were unaffected by 20 mM ascorbate, whereas 5 cancer lines had EC50 values of <4 mM, a concentration easily achievable i.v. Human lymphoma cells were studied in detail because of their sensitivity to ascorbate (EC50 of 0.5 mM) and suitability for addressing mechanisms. Extracellular but not intracellular ascorbate mediated cell death, which occurred by apoptosis and pyknosis/necrosis. Cell death was independent of metal chelators and absolutely dependent on H2O2 formation. Cell death from H2O2 added to cells was identical to that found when H2O2 was generated by ascorbate treatment. H2O2 generation was dependent on ascorbate concentration, incubation time, and the presence of 0.5-10% serum, and displayed a linear relationship with ascorbate radical formation. Although ascorbate addition to medium generated H2O2, ascorbate addition to blood generated no detectable H2O2 and only trace detectable ascorbate radical. Taken together, these data indicate that ascorbate at concentrations achieved only by i.v. administration may be a pro-drug for formation of H2O2, and that blood can be a delivery system of the pro-drug to tissues. These findings give plausibility to i.v. ascorbic acid in cancer treatment, and have unexpected implications for treatment of infections where H2O2 may be beneficial.

This is a pretty interesting article, but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say about it. They're basically saying that ascorbate can kill 5 out of the 10 type of cancer cells they tested. It reacts with something in serum to produce hydrogen peroxide (don't know what from the abstract and didn't pull up the whole paper) and the hydrogen peroxide causes cell death.

It's not a 'cure' but it certainly could help cancer patience with those 5 types of cancer.

However, this has nothing to do with GMOs or nitrates.

Science doesn't mean anti-nature. On the contrary- we spend our lives trying to understand it, and if by understanding it we can use that knowledge to better the lives of man-kind, that's just all-around cool.

Citric acid is good. I'd have no problem injecting a bunch of citric acid into cancer patients if these particular studies hold up and show results in clinical trials.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Let's not forget nitrates. Cured meat is the devil, but nitrates are found in much higher concentrations in vegetables.

Hot Dogs/Cured meat 10ppm

arugula 4,677 ppm

basil 2,292 ppm

butterhead lettuce 2,026 ppm

beets 1,279 ppm

celery 1,103 ppm

spinach 1,066 ppm

pumpkin 874 ppm

I knew there was a reason I didn't like arugula :( Damn nitrates.

It's been my understanding that it isn't nitrates that are the problem in cured meats but rather the nitrosamines that they form in your stomach when mixed with your stomach acids. the nitrosamines are the suspected cancer causing agents. Nitrosamines are neutralized by Vitamin C, so I imagine arugula and some of these other things mentioned above would not form nitrosamines due to the vit C content. If you have a BLT, the Tomato neutralizes the nitrosamine effect of the bacon. Orange juice with bacon will do the same thing.

as for GMO's, they need to label them. I am reading the book "Wheat Belly" and there are some very interesting things about today's wheat, which is a GMO product and does not resemble the wheat we grew and consumed just 50 yrs ago. My daughter has developed wheat/gluten allergy and it is becoming very common. Those gluten free isles in the regular grocery stores that are becoming all too common are not just the fad of the moment. (by regular grocery store, I mean not health food, whole foods etc, but Giant foods, Safeway, etc.)

This is why. She talked about cancer causing agents and it shows that nature has just as many possibilties as Pharma if not more. I think the article I found, but couldn't find the info I had read about a couple weeks ago, talks about how Vit. C is a catalyst for cancer cell death. But if you concluded 5 of 10 then isn't that an amazing discovery if these kind of results continue
  • LabRat529
    Options
    This is why. She talked about cancer causing agents and it shows that nature has just as many possibilties as Pharma if not more. I think the article I found, but couldn't find the info I had read about a couple weeks ago, talks about how Vit. C is a catalyst for cancer cell death. But if you concluded 5 of 10 then isn't that an amazing discovery if these kind of results continue

To me, Pharmacology IS nature, just distilled into micromolecules that we can manipulate and use to our advantage. Where do you think we get our ideas? Nature. They almost always start with something we observe from nature. It might be a compound we see in nature that has a pharmacological effect, or we might find a man-made compound that fits in the binding pocket of a protein that's part of our natural make up. Who knows? But it's all nature in my mind. I'm working with compounds designed to mimic testosterone.

And yes, it's pretty cool that ascorbic acid can kill cancer cells, even if it has to be administered I.V. I do not recommend injecting orange juice directly into your veins though ;) That would sting a little.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    But we also have to ask ourselves (especially since Big Pharma has big investments in Big Food and Big Ag, as well as Monsanto), would we need to have all of these therapies to cure breast cancer if we had taken steps to prevent it in the first place? Not allowed our environment and our food to be contributing to disease? Who's spending money on that? Certainly not Big Pharma. We most definitely do not have a good system in place to properly treat and cure disease, and our efforts are focused far too much in one direction.

Also, someone mentioned there was GM wheat, which is not true (that I know of). No one has developed it (yet).

The greatest risk factor for breast cancer? ESTROGEN.

I don't think an environmental link has been proven, at least not definitively. There's some hints here and there, but if you suggest that we take steps to eliminate breast cancer, the most logical step would be an ovariectomy before we hit puberty.

There are so many things in our environment that mimic estrogen. Many pesticides for example, have estrogenic effects. BPA has estrogenic effects, even in the body. Hormones in our milk and meat. And the greatest risk factor for breast cancer is lifestyle choices. Being obese, smoking, drinking a lot, not exercising, and not eating enough plants are risk factors. Producing estrogen is not a risk factor. If that were true, then Asian women would have the same rates of breast cancer as we do, because they also produce estrogen. Except that they don't get hormone-dependent breast cancer at the same rate as we do. But, when Asian women move to the U.S., their risk seems to go up, statistically speaking. Their daughters have somewhere around a 30% greater risk of breast cancer. Their daughters' daughters have an even greater risk. I have a feeling they all produce estrogen, even in Asia.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

There are so many things in our environment that mimic estrogen. Many pesticides for example, have estrogenic effects. BPA has estrogenic effects, even in the body. Hormones in our milk and meat. And the greatest risk factor for breast cancer is lifestyle choices. Being obese, smoking, drinking a lot, not exercising, and not eating enough plants are risk factors. Producing estrogen is not a risk factor. If that were true, then Asian women would have the same rates of breast cancer as we do, because they also produce estrogen. Except that they don't get hormone-dependent breast cancer at the same rate as we do. But, when Asian women move to the U.S., their risk seems to go up, statistically speaking. Their daughters have somewhere around a 30% greater risk of breast cancer. Their daughters' daughters have an even greater risk. I have a feeling they all produce estrogen, even in Asia.

And I think that this is evident with the fact that males are getting breast cancer a little more frequently. All those common sense preventative measures gladus says plus discerning wisely aspects of ones life are the keys avoiding probably most health problems