How to get lean muscles and not bulky?

Options

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Get sunshine in here, she'll give good advice.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Tae bo for sure.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    this tread is full of very bad advices.

This.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree that at some point, you have to love and appreciate what you have, and that function is more important than form. Having strong legs that can carry you over miles and miles, trumps having little twiggy birdy legs that can't do what you want them to do, any day of the week.

Some folks are genetically predisposed to have larger calves, just like some have larger breasts, wider shoulders, a narrower waist, a longer neck, smaller feet, a bigger nose, more prominent cheekbones, whatever. I'm very short-waisted. There's nothing I can do to change that. I can only work with what Mother Nature provided.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.
    The leaner you get the less bulky your calves are going to be.

yeah they can

No they cannot. Testosterone is what is needed. And the only way a woman gets big, is if she had higher testosterone naturally to begin. And trust me, this woman would know already this applies to her cause she would be big muscled in life in general.

Most women, with normal testosterone (the rest of us) will not get large by weight training. The most you would expect is to tighten up. But you would not get more girth.

I can bicep more than most 20 year olds in the gym at 35lbs. My arms are just as big as they were when I did 15s. I know, because I measured them. They have not budged. But they have got more tight skinned.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What you are probably actually seeing is muscle mixed with fat. I always thought my calves were HUGELY muscled when I was walking around 15lbs heavier than they are now. I couldn't wear those cut knee high boots. Currently I have stronger but SMALLER calves and fit into the boots. Really it's the body fat that makes you "bulky" not the muscles. To get your calves smaller you'll have to cut over all body fat, however where the fat comes from is not under your control (if it was I'd have skinny thighs). Your calves might not shrink until you get pretty low on the body fat and then you might be lower than you want (again, my situation with my thighs).

And lastly, muscular calves are sexy as hell.

ETA: Unless you are already pretty lean, then it's probably genetics.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.

The first part of this statement depends on the definition of "bulky". Some women confuse "defined", "muscular" and "bulky". I completely understand that some women do not want the "muscular" and/or "defined" look, and the key to that is to maintain higher body fat percentages, anything greater than 20% or so. And yeah, I guess women CAN get "bulky" without steroids but it takes eating at a calorie surplus and many months if not years of weight lifting. I've been trying for 2 months and have gained 3 lbs.

Light weights and high reps is pretty much bull sh1t. All it does is make you better at lifting light weights with high reps. It doesn't challenge or develop your muscles at all. It definitely doesn't make them "lean".
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    A woman can bulk up without steroids, just like a man can bulk up without steroids. It takes time to gain muscle, even for a man. A bodybuilder doesn't become a bodybuilder overnight. A person doesn't even become a bodybuilder in a month. It takes years.

Every woman's body is different. A woman and man can only speak for their own body.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    A woman can bulk up without steroids, just like a man can bulk up without steroids. It takes time to gain muscle, even for a man. A bodybuilder doesn't become a bodybuilder overnight. A person doesn't even become a bodybuilder in a month. It takes years.

Every woman's body is different. A woman and man can only speak for their own body.
    a typical woman with normal testosterone levels will not bulk up like a man without using steroids.
    yes it takes time to gain muscle, and you have to be eating the right things and that goes for men and women, but generally if women want to look like bodybuilders they have to take steroids and other supplements.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I would say cut back a tad on cardio and add strength training. I personally love the weighted standing calf raises, but that isn't going to help you trim them, only sculpt them.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Stop making things up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

this is correct :smile:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

yeah they can

No they cannot. Testosterone is what is needed. And the only way a woman gets big, is if she had higher testosterone naturally to begin. And trust me, this woman would know already this applies to her cause she would be big muscled in life in general.

Most women, with normal testosterone (the rest of us) will not get large by weight training. The most you would expect is to tighten up. But you would not get more girth.

I can bicep more than most 20 year olds in the gym at 35lbs. My arms are just as big as they were when I did 15s. I know, because I measured them. They have not budged. But they have got more tight skinned.
    If it's naturally high, then it's not the result of steroids...so women can naturally get bulky... like the person you quoted said. It doesn't have to be from steroids, even though it's not the "norm." I have a friend who is very naturally muscular, but you're right that for most women that's not the case.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

this is correct :smile:

So very true
  • furekurss
    Options

yeah they can

lets be real here, you are doing 35lb curls and assuming you have good form, fine, but for probalby 5 reps each arm. 2 different types of muscles,

in a nut shell, heavy weights+less reps= CNS strenght more then size, Moderate weights+more reps= more size less strenght

so strength does not equal size.

explains why power lifters look like they dont even lift but can pick up heavy weights, vs IFBB pro that still does really heavy weights but not as heavy as bodybuilders
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years now on a treadmill. I've gained a lot of muscle mass which is great, but I hate how my legs became bulky. My calves are HUGE and not because of fat but muscle.

I'm wondering how to avoid bulky muscles and how to make my calves normal sized and lean. If anyone has any suggestions,
    please do help :) Also, I am still losing weight if that changes the exercise regime in any way :/

Thank you all and good luck with your weight loss!
    I smell a troll.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • furekurss
    Options

yeah they can

lets be real here, you are doing 35lb curls and assuming you have good form, fine, but for probalby 5 reps each arm. 2 different types of muscles,

in a nut shell, heavy weights+less reps= CNS strenght more then size, Moderate weights+more reps= size

so strength does not equal size.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Bulking means adding fat with muscle. Bulky people have a good layer of fat covering muscle. Muscular people have less body fat which is why you see the muscle. Get rid of the fat and you get rid of the bulk look.
    If you don't like the muscular look, then don't let your body fat get too low.

IDEA Fitness member
  • furekurss
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    Options

But they can't do it without lifting progressively higher weights. Also without enhancement, or an unusually high testosterone level in the body a woman can't bulk up like a man.

IDEA Fitness member