How to get lean muscles and not bulky?

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    What you are probably actually seeing is muscle mixed with fat. I always thought my calves were HUGELY muscled when I was walking around 15lbs heavier than they are now. I couldn't wear those cut knee high boots. Currently I have stronger but SMALLER calves and fit into the boots. Really it's the body fat that makes you "bulky" not the muscles. To get your calves smaller you'll have to cut over all body fat, however where the fat comes from is not under your control (if it was I'd have skinny thighs). Your calves might not shrink until you get pretty low on the body fat and then you might be lower than you want (again, my situation with my thighs).

And lastly, muscular calves are sexy as hell.

ETA: Unless you are already pretty lean, then it's probably genetics.

+10000
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have higher testosterone than most women. This was my worry. My PT is the same. She actually has twice the normal testosterone than women are meant to have. It is still over half less than men have. (men have something like 10 times the testosterone than women do)

For women to 'bulk up' without steroids and/or a very strictly controlled diet (i.e. they are not in a calories deficit) is damn near impossible. Unless people are posting pictures I refuse to believe they have 'bulked up' without gaining fat.

Anyone who comes in here and states that only people know their own bodies and it's completely possible for women to gain muscle at the same rate as men, or quicker is either a liar or doesn't know what they are talking about.

For those women who are claiming it's possible post pictures. I've done a lot of research on this because I was worried about it personally. It's not possible.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I do tons of cardio and workout with weights..so far..I have great compliments on my calves/legs... :wink: So whether your looking to tone/lose body fat..eating leaner meats, nuts, veggies, fruits, cutting down on processed foods can actually help with losing body fat..

Like others have said..genetics may have a thing to do with your outcome..
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Anyone who comes in here and states that only people know their own bodies and it's completely possible for women to gain muscle at the same rate as men, or quicker is either a liar or doesn't know what they are talking about.

My vote goes to the bolded phrase.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have higher testosterone than most women. This was my worry. My PT is the same. She actually has twice the normal testosterone than women are meant to have. It is still over half less than men have. (men have something like 10 times the testosterone than women do)

For women to 'bulk up' without steroids and/or a very strictly controlled diet (i.e. they are not in a calories deficit) is damn near impossible. Unless people are posting pictures I refuse to believe they have 'bulked up' without gaining fat.

For those women who are claiming it's possible post pictures. I've done a lot of research on this because I was worried about it personally. It's not possible.
    I'm sure a lot of it is based on her personal perception of "bulky" and not necessarily what a man would consider bulky. I have big calves too, but I'm not muscular anywhere else. There's some fat there too obviously, but I don't really relate any of this to my testosterone levels, more so just my natural body shape. I think people are reading too much into this. I mean, I've seen P90x before and afters of women, and in my personal opinion, some of them are more muscular than I'd like to be...so maybe I would say they are muscular but to others on here their standards are different so they'd tell me that I can't look too muscular without taking steroids when it's really just a matter of my personal preference/opinion than an actual scientific thing. I hope that makes sense, I know what I'm trying to say! lol
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What you are probably actually seeing is muscle mixed with fat. I always thought my calves were HUGELY muscled when I was walking around 15lbs heavier than they are now. I couldn't wear those cut knee high boots. Currently I have stronger but SMALLER calves and fit into the boots. Really it's the body fat that makes you "bulky" not the muscles. To get your calves smaller you'll have to cut over all body fat, however where the fat comes from is not under your control (if it was I'd have skinny thighs). Your calves might not shrink until you get pretty low on the body fat and then you might be lower than you want (again, my situation with my thighs).

And lastly, muscular calves are sexy as hell.

ETA: Unless you are already pretty lean, then it's probably genetics.
    THANK YOU for saving me from posting almost exactly the same! I ran a marathon while technically obese and blamed the running for not fitting into boots, not the fat! Needless to say, as I approach a healthy weight, I have cut body fat with running AND lifting (a mixture of heavy weight, low reps and Body Pump) and my calves have miraculous shrunk alongside all my other measurements, despite building muscle all over!

Look at any women's running champion you like - Paula Radcliffe for example - I bet none of them have trouble finding boots!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Get sunshine in here, she'll give good advice.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.
    The leaner you get the less bulky your calves are going to be.

yeah they can

No they cannot. Testosterone is what is needed. And the only way a woman gets big, is if she had higher testosterone naturally to begin. And trust me, this woman would know already this applies to her cause she would be big muscled in life in general.

Most women, with normal testosterone (the rest of us) will not get large by weight training. The most you would expect is to tighten up. But you would not get more girth.

I can bicep more than most 20 year olds in the gym at 35lbs. My arms are just as big as they were when I did 15s. I know, because I measured them. They have not budged. But they have got more tight skinned.

lets be real here, you are doing 35lb curls and assuming you have good form, fine, but for probalby 5 reps each arm. 2 different types of muscles,

in a nut shell, heavy weights+less reps= CNS strenght more then size, Moderate weights+more reps= more size less strenght

so strength does not equal size.

explains why power lifters look like they dont even lift but can pick up heavy weights, vs IFBB pro that still does really heavy weights but not as heavy as bodybuilders

PLUS you think 35lb would give you much muscle in the first place? People who go into the 100's and are dedicated can do it, with the right exercises and eating habits.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm a firm believer in "women can't get bulky by accident," I still want to side with the OP in that sometimes you just don't get the body proportions that you wish you had.

I'm that way with my thighs. My quads have gotten significantly more developed with running. My legs are much smaller than they were before I lost weight... I lost about 5" on each thigh. But I see women who's goal is to be able to wrap their two hands around their upper thigh, or thighs that don't touch, and ... that's never going to be me. That's just the way my body is shaped, and while I'd love to have legs like a gazelle, I've come to accept that I'd rather have legs that can run as long and fast as they can than have "perfectly shaped" legs that aren't strong enough. I've also come to appreciate that without my "big" thighs and hips, I wouldn't have a terribly feminine figure.

Function is greater than form.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a used wheelchair and wheel around all day to avoid bulking up your legs. (trying to keep my advice on par)

I LOVE the muscle and cut in my calves and thighs. So does my husband rawr. Embrace it!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You're probably seeing the bulkiness because you've gained muscle over the fat that is still underneath all that muscle. So you still need to lean out and lose fat overall. Don't go lighter on the lifting, continue lifting heavy or whatever it is that you have been doing...but create more of a deficit to drop the fat.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

I know my body well. I live with it everyday. No one can tell me that a woman can't bulk up, because that's not true. Just like no one can tell me that a woman needs to lift heavy. A person will believe what they want to believe and that's fine, but don't try to make it seems as if the next person is wrong.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Ladies, you can't all look like Kate Moss.

'Nuff said.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Ladies, you can't all look like Kate Moss.

'Nuff said.

I don't want to look like anyone else, but myself.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a used wheelchair and wheel around all day to avoid bulking up your legs. (trying to keep my advice on par)

ROFLMAO!
  • leksandra
    leksandra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replies. I will consider changing my exercise routine, yes. That is exactly why I'm asking here for advice how and what to do and not because I'm making fun of anyone or something. I thought the community section at mfp is meant to ask questions if you have any and I'm sorry if I somehow offended anyone, though that wasn't my intention.

First let me say that yes, probably there is also still fat around the muscle, I am still losing weight. I don't want to look like Kate Moss and never wanted that, so please don't just presume things, you don't know me. I love the muscles on my legs, the thing is that with time my calves are getting even bigger than before when I weighed a lot more and it just seems weird to me, also a lot of times I feel like I have swollen calves, which almost hurts a little, I don't know how to describe the feeling (when it's really cold outside for example).

I never said bigger is not cool. My family and a lot of people I know fall into the category of bigger (also I have a bmi of more then 25, so not the healthy range anymore) and we all look damn good. So, don't put words into my mouth that I never said.

About my exercise routine.. I run 5 times a week 40 minutes, no incline and going about 5 mph, not that fast. I also didn't think it was too much. I love running, it started out as just an exercise to lose weight, but now I can't do without it.

I'm just asking for an advice and to see how others are coping with that, I'm no expert, if I were I wouldn't be asking for an advice.

Thank you again, good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I know my body well. I live with it everyday. No one can tell me that a woman can't bulk up, because that's not true. Just like no one can tell me that a woman needs to lift heavy. A person will believe what they want to believe and that's fine, but don't try to make it seems as if the next person is wrong.

No, that is flat out wrong. There is reams and reams of peer reviewed science showing you are wrong. Every person will get benefit from lifting weights. Women, without very hard work cannot 'bulk up' (and even then it can be close to impossible) MEN cannot bulk up without very hard work.

Every time this type of topic comes up you come in here and state things that are demonstrably wrong. You are asked for proof. You never supply it. You are flat out misinforming people and that is dangerous. If you feel that lifting weights will 'damage' your body that's fine. I can't and don't want to change your mind. But PLEASE stop coming into threads where people are asking for legitimate help and misinforming them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First let me say that yes, probably there is also still fat around the muscle, I am still losing weight. I don't want to look like Kate Moss and never wanted that, so please don't just presume things, you don't know me. I love the muscles on my legs, the thing is that with time my calves are getting even bigger than before when I weighed a lot more and it just seems weird to me, also a lot of times I feel like I have swollen calves, which almost hurts a little, I don't know how to describe the feeling (when it's really cold outside for example).

You might have swelling. Is there any difference if you take a few days off? Most runners recommend running 3-4x a week. Maybe try something lower impact on the other days, like cycling, elliptical or walking.

Also, maybe as the rest of you is shrinking, and it's making your calves seem bigger in comparison. Are you measuring them?
  • AZackery
    Options
    No, that is flat out wrong. There is reams and reams of peer reviewed science showing you are wrong. Every person will get benefit from lifting weights. Women, without very hard work cannot 'bulk up' (and even then it can be close to impossible) MEN cannot bulk up without very hard work.

I'm glad that you see that a man can't bulk up without hard work. Yet people want people to believe that only men can bulk up. Women can bulk up too. A person can't bulk up overnight. Yet, a woman and man both can bulk up. That's my point.
    Every time this type of topic comes up you come in here and state things that are demonstrably wrong. You are asked for proof. You never supply it. You are flat out misinforming people and that is dangerous. If you feel that lifting weights will 'damage' your body that's fine. I can't and don't want to change your mind. But PLEASE stop coming into threads where people are asking for legitimate help and misinforming them.

I'm not misinforming anyone or you? The OP wanted to know what she can do to get lean muscles and not bulky and I've suggest she do cardio sculpt. What is wrong with that?

I don't see things like you see them, but that doesn't mean I'm misinforming people. Because, if I am, then that means you are too.

I don't have to prove myself to you, so stop asking me to prove things to you.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What you are probably actually seeing is muscle mixed with fat.I always thought my calves were HUGELY muscled when I was walking around 15lbs heavier than they are now. I couldn't wear those cut knee high boots. Currently I have stronger but SMALLER calves and fit into the boots. Really it's the body fat that makes you "bulky" not the muscles. To get your calves smaller you'll have to cut over all body fat, however where the fat comes from is not under your control (if it was I'd have skinny thighs). Your calves might not shrink until you get pretty low on the body fat and then you might be lower than you want (again, my situation with my thighs)...
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.
    The leaner you get the less bulky your calves are going to be.

The first part of this statement depends on the definition of "bulky". Some women confuse "defined", "muscular" and "bulky". I completely understand that some women do not want the "muscular" and/or "defined" look, and the key to that is to maintain higher body fat percentages, anything greater than 20% or so. And yeah, I guess women CAN get "bulky" without steroids but it takes eating at a calorie surplus and many months if not years of weight lifting. I've been trying for 2 months and have gained 3 lbs.

Light weights and high reps is pretty much bull [edit]. All it does is make you better at lifting light weights with high reps. It doesn't challenge or develop your muscles at all. It definitely doesn't make them "lean".

I agree with a lot of this. A LOT depends on your definition of bulky.

(I'm really not being sarcastic/rude - but I know people are coming in with very different mind sets and goals so I don't want to make any assumptions)
    Screenshot2011-12-01at61951PM.pngScreenshot2011-12-01at60216PM.png

In my mind, these women are not bulky. I define them as lean and toned. And honestly, to get to THIS level of strength takes YEARS and incredibly clean eating. Getting to this level does not happen by mistake - it is very difficult. (Something like this is my goal, personally.) If you want a less toned/defined look, you just hold onto more body fat and you will look 'softer'.

Now, I had a lot of friends in college who aspired to look more like this:
    Screenshot2011-12-04at73832PM.png

I can offer no advise on how to get this body. While some women may genetically be very thin, that is not the norm. I can only assume it takes a very low level of eating. I would also imagine she does not lift weights. (All my guesses - as I said, I cannot advise on how to achieve this body).