Cardio doesn't help you lose weight...

Replies

• cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    I credit not gaining a pound on holiday to all the intense hours of walking and some jogging I did. Literally ate the most delicious, unhealthiest, large amounts of food in London for a week. I think I had sausage every morning the entire time I was there lol Did not gain an ounce and after it all I did not feel guilty. I have yet to make weights a full part of my workout and at that point hadn't lifted in about a month sooooooo I think the cardio was doing a great job at burning the calories and keeping that gain at bay. I will be adding weights but, I know cardio got me here.

I don't think "Intense" and "walking" belong in the same sentence.

Maybe not intense like speed walking 24/ 7 but, Intense or excess amounts that is for sure. We spent 6 hours walking just one day alone. After a week? I think that is a little intense....even if it is just a little :)
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    I know, so why argue? If someone is seeing results, regardless of whether they completely understand why, then there is no need to argue with them. Spread the correct information to those who don't understand and let them digest it. It's up to them to research and verify what information is correct. It's also up to them to believe.
    Cardio works just fine for me. Strength training will always be at the bottom of my list. A person has to do what they feel is right for their body.
    Haha, I don't even understand why anyone is arguing with you. Cardio works for you right? You burn more calories than you consume so you are loosing weight right? Well great job and keep doing what you are doing. People are just trying to help others understand that in the end, the caloric deficit is most imporant as you need to govern your intake vs your usage. Strength training will increase your usage, but cardio will also burn calories (which is usage also).
    The argument arose because she claims that weight training will make one "bulky" and will not burn calories.

This happens every time. :noway:
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    well wait a minute.. you mean to tell me that people are all different, and what works for one person doesn't work for another?
    no way! i'm baffled. :noway: :wink:
    :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    the "after-burn" for cario does not last that long (usually 1-4 hours, longer with HIIT), the "after-burn" for strength training is the 24-48 hours as your body repairs the damaged caused from lifting.

I don't agree with this. I can do a Tae Bo workout on a Monday and not workout for a few days afterwards and still feel the workout.

You probably feel it because Tae Bo, while technically cardio, involves the use of many muscles to maintain your balance and to do the moves properly. So it is really a cardio AND strength workout combined.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    I suggest you read Body for Life or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I believe that the New Rules is a 9 week program if I remember correctly.

I'm not going to read the book, but thank you anyway.

Heaven forbid your pollute your mind with something that might actually contain useful information.

I+can%27t+hear+you.bmp

:laugh: Please do not ever stop with the pictorial responses Ronswanson. Ever! :laugh:
  • Have you ever tried a boot camp style workout? I love those the best. Lifting weights in a gym bores me to tears, but this style workout I love. It mixes resistance training and cardio, which saves time.
  • Cardio works just fine for me. Strength training will always be at the bottom of my list. A person has to do what they feel is right for their body.

Have you ever tried a boot camp style workout? I love those the best. Lifting weights in a gym bores me to tears, but this style workout I love. It mixes resistance training and cardio, which saves time.

OOPS!! I forgot the quote thingie! Sorry for the repeat post. :sad:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Bump
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    well wait a minute.. you mean to tell me that people are all different, and what works for one person doesn't work for another?
    no way! i'm baffled. :noway: :wink:
    :)

^^ Ha HA!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    This isn't news, why are you shocked? We all know 80% of weight loss is nutrition that's why you can lose weight without ever exercising. Exercise is good for the heart/body, helps increase weight lost, builds muscle and helps break through a plateau after months of controlled healthy eating. If you don't fix what you eat then I hope you enjoy spending 10-20 hours a week in the gym burning it off; what a waist of time and bad for your body (nutritionally and your joints).
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    I have a graduate degree in Health and Human Performance. Cardiovascular exercise helps you lose weight because it burns calories, helping you create a calorie deficit. My professor, who was an exercise physiologist, recommended that obese clients begin with cardio, because it will burn more calories than a person at that level would burn doing weights and leads to a larger calorie deficit. After the client had lost some weight, she would recommend weight training to build and maintain muscle. Whether you do a shorter duration, high intensity workout, or steady state workout for longer, what really matters (in terms of weight loss only) is the number of calories you burn. Of course, this is best combined with a healthy diet. BTW just because someone works at a gym, that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Maybe this gym worker didn't want your membership?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Maybe this gym worker didn't want your membership?

Maybe that gym worker was working up to selling a personal trainer package.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Cardio doesn't help if you work out like this guy...

thisiswhy_senor-gif.gif

Otherwise you guys are just chasing your tails since the people on each side of the fence never change their minds in here.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    i know for me, when I work out I have more energy. I don't feel like I need a nap in the middle of the day. So in theory I move more and burn more calories just by feeling more energized. I wasn't trying to start an arguement. I was just frustrated. What if an obese person walked into that gym and was told that walking/runnung would not create weight loss. Would that person be discouraged and walk out? I would and I'd just go to McDonalds or somewhere else like it...might as well. I do alot of cardio but I do pilates also. Not easy as I can but as hard as I can. I'm dripping in sweat as if I had just ran 3 miles. I know its making a difference because I am more tone and don't have the same loose skin as before I started.
    Again I was just shocked at his response.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Cardio works just fine for me. Strength training will always be at the bottom of my list. A person has to do what they feel is right for their body.

So how much weight have you lost recently on this cardio-only plan?

I've lost 40 of my 60 (haven't updated my ticker yet) pounds with zero exercise. Are you insinuating that a person can't lose weight without doing strength training or something?
  • Weight lifting is a metabolism boaster and works hours after lifting and will burn fat tons of it . That is totally ridiculous and not true weight lifting will not burn fat .Proper Caloric intake plus weight lifting will,shed the fat

Yes it most certainly can!

One of the least known things about resistance training is that it will help you to burn fat well and truly after you have finished your workout.

Just about everyone knows the value of aerobic training for losing weight and often the first thing someone starting a fitness regime will do is jog, run or hit the aerobics class.

While aerobic activities are great for assisting you to lose fat, often your muscles will shrink at the same time - this is a terrible thing, because your muscles are what burn the fat.

Also known as resistance training, using weight training can significantly improve fat loss in both men and women.

Why can it help burn fat?

Muscle is the body's fat burning furnace and it stands to reason that we don't want to shrink our major fat burning tool.

One of the keys is to ensure adequate protein intake - increasing your protein will stop your muscles getting smaller from protein degradation.

The best way to improve the effects of your aerobic activities is to use resistance training. Weight training helps to strengthen your muscles and prevent muscle loss. With intense weight training you can even create nice dense tight muscles that not only look appealing, but they burn fat like an industrial machine.

What Are The Benefits Of Weight Training?

Better Posture

Mood Elevation

Fat Loss

A Better Metabolic Resting Rate

Strengthened Bones

Better Blood Pressure

Increased Strength

These are just some of the many rewards that resistance training can bestow upon those who practice it.

What Exercises Should I Do?

If you have decided that you like the idea of increasing your fat loss potential by building some muscle, then you may want to know where to start. The best exercises you can do are the basic ones that you probably already know a little bit about.

Exercises such as: Bench Press, Squats, Lunges, Dips and Barbell curls are great because they incorporate many muscle groups, giving you the best possible reward for your time and effort.

Eating more protein is important if you are resistance training, because your body will need more protein to help build your new fat burning muscle machine.

Will Weight Training Make Women Huge?

The resounding answer is NO, women will not get big from training with weights unless they have the very specific desire to do so.

Men have high levels of testosterone, which women only produce a small amount of and the truth is most large muscular ladies take testosterone boosters.

Women have to have like a professional body builder to get big - it's that simple.

Women benefit immensely from resistance training, they develop beautiful curves and tight, toned bodies. Tight bodies are conducive to fat loss, so it is more than just an idea - weight training is the answer.

Give weight training a try and you'll feel tighter, stronger and better than you ever have.

You'll also burn more fat when you rest and when you sleep.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

So how much weight have you lost recently on this cardio-only plan?

I've lost 40 of my 60 (haven't updated my ticker yet) pounds with zero exercise. Are you disputing that a person can't lose weight without doing strength training or something?

that comment was aimed a AZ, who claims to be a "big girl" and does cardio only and is against lifting weights, but also claims that cardio works better then strength training.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    It's not even worth it to engage the "expert" here. I mean really, at some point you have to realize that this person is just a troll with way too much time on their hands or too knuckle headed to reason with.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    :smokin:
This discussion has been closed.