Are you a hugger?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
In my culture we hug a lot with family and close friends, but there are some people who are just huggers with EVERYONE. So do you hug or do you avoid it at all costs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• onefourone
    Options
    I am a hugger for sure
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It depends on the other person. If they open their arms and lean in, than I go for the hug. If they offer their hand, than its just a handshake.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    depends on the person. i like to hug my hugger friends, but not my nonhugger friends.

i also like to hug when i am dating, and i like to hug my pet pigeon when i have him >.<

for some reason i feel odd hugging my mom and family-like friends though haha...i think because i was very shy as a kid so i ddnt hug them for so many years that yeah ^-^y
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I hug :D I am a very huggable person ^-^
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Options
    I hug! :happy: I'm hugging you right now! hahaha
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    With friends and family yes. Strangers and adequateness, no.
  • weightlosswonderwoman
    Options
    A hug = a handshake for me
    Hugs just come naturally :)
  • pumpkinmoccasins
    Options
    This is kind of a weird subject for me because I used to be a hugger, and then something changed and I guess I became more aware of other people's personal spaces or something... I'm not adverse to hugging by any means, I guess I'm just not typically in a warm, hug-friendly environment.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I used to be, but then at college there was an overly huggy girl who found out I liked hugs, so she decided we were going to hug every time she saw me. It was a small college of a few hundred people, so it was several times a day. I am officially hugged out. Except my husband, my kids and a few select friends, I do not offer hugs. Oh, and my parents whom I don't see for months at a time.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a weird subject for me because I used to be a hugger, and then something changed and I guess I became more aware of other people's personal spaces or something... I'm not adverse to hugging by any means, I guess I'm just not typically in a warm, hug-friendly environment.
    Awesomeness!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Noooooo. Im a hand-shaker. That is, until I know you well enough to let you into my personal space. Then Im good with hugs.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A hug = a handshake for me
    Hugs just come naturally :)

agreed! Hugs are just a natural expression of caring for me.....
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i love hugs and i'm sad many people do not :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Lots of huggers here!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hugger. I also am a 25 year survivor of mental, emotional, and physical abuse. I don't like anyone touching me unless I know and trust them.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No hugging for me especially with the opposite sex unless it is my wife, my mother or my sisters or niece. The developmentally disabled are excluded from my no hugging policy though.
  • southofmadness
    southofmadness Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    someone i know well..? If they go to hug...im a hugger for sure . If i have been DRINKING...EVERYONE gets a hug. like it or not :smile:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm a hugger with people I know relatively well. Otherwise I might do a half-hug/pat on the back thing LOL.

Drinking brings out more hugs.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    i love hugs but having had a very non huggy childhood they arent something thqat comes very easy for me.

they used to make me feel very uncomfortable even when i wanted them but now i dont tend to freak out anymore when someone gives me one.

I wish i was more naturally inclined to give them because they are fantastic and I do crave them.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No hugging unless you are family or a good friend. Like a pp said, I'm a great hand shaker. I'm all about personal space!