Are you a hugger?

Options

Replies

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am a polite hugger. Since I think that hugging is very personal and a sign of affection, I always ask first. "You need a hug?" "Can I give you a hug?" I prefer to be asked before someone starts hugging me and don't like to be hugged by new acquaintances, but old friends are open season as far as I am concerned.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hugger. I also am a 25 year survivor of mental, emotional, and physical abuse. I don't like anyone touching me unless I know and trust them.

I am not a survivor of abuse, but I still don't like anyone touching me unless I know and trust them! I just can't stand it and I am especially physically repelled when people I don't like or trust try to come in for a hug! It's cringe-worthy!!! I'm a little standoffish, but little kids and friendly animals can have as many hugs as they want (I hate it when people force themselves on kids and pets), and I absolutely adore hugging my husband. It's one of my favorite things to do.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not someone who hugs a lot and honestly? I prefer to not be hugged unless you are my significant other, best friend, child, or other close family member.

I'm not anti-hug, I just have a personal space issue and hate when people invade it.

Someone mentioned a handshake.. please.. do not offer your hand to me. I will cringe and try to find a way to avoid touching it. You can wave, say hello or whatever - but please.. skip the rest unless I know you, like you and trust you.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I WISH I was a hugger! But for me, I reserve touchy moments like that for special times, or for very close friends and family. I suppose you could say I'm not a touchy person, although I LOVE affection. It's a kind of weird line.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I am a hugger SOMETIMES. When I was in school I had a closer group of friends who I always hugged, but now I hardly ever get hugs. If somebody wants a hug, I am all for it but its not automatic for me.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You can't underestimate the power of a hug. I live for them!
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm a hugger :) fortunately so is my partner and both my girls!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I love hugs and to be affectionate but don't do it if you have a jealous girlfriend
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - I am a hugger - tonight I met two friends of a friend - by the end of the night they each got a goodbye hug as well ;-)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am a natural hugger - not with family so much, only my children - as my upbringing didnt include many hugs -
    my dh is not a natural hugger - I so wish he was
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm a hugger!! I hug my friends, my family, my work mates, I hug people when I'm happy, people who are sad. I am also a big believer in the platonic couch snuggle :) I always try to remember some people aren't has happy with hugging - don't want to make them feel uncomfortable but it feels very normal to me
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    We're going to hug this out......................................
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I hug my husband and family all the time. I feel awkward hugging anyone else. I don't know why
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I'm a natural hugger - grown up in a non-huggy family, in a non-huggy (it's not appropriate) work-place married to a non-huggy wife.

The only thing that get's me through are still cute and are 9 and 11 year old and atm are VERY huggy.

When they outgrow that I'll have nothing left :(

So, if they're offered - I'm there !!!

Me thinks I will hit e-Bay to see if there is one of these for me:

http://www.weirdthings.org.uk/feeling-lonely-have-a-cuddle-with-this-arm-pillow/

Either the pillow or the model - I can't be too fussy
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Where I was raised, hugging was limited to:

--Young children (say, 9 or younger) hugging parents and grandparents, occasionally the other way around
    --Spouses and significant others hugging each other
    --Friends being silly... I think hugging is considered a childlike behavior, except between spouses/ SOs

And it was always a tight hug, never a 'gently wrapping your arms around the other person' thing. Gentle, casual hugs are still foreign to me.

Another thing is that where I grew up, they generally don't hug a crying person. When someone you know is crying, you place your hand on their shoulder(s)/ back, or simply stand around and commiserate silently.

I dislike ritualistic/ casual hugs. The casualness cheapens it. Heartfelt ones are good, though. :)
  • Segrande
    Options
    I am awkward when hugging people I am not close to/familiar with and generally hate being touched by those who I have not allowed to touch me. I think I used to be a lot worse when it comes to being picky about personal space and all, now I don't mind the occasional handshake or fist bump or whatever. However, if I have decided that I really like you, I'm extremely affectionate and a cuddle monster. >:3 I suppose this only applies to significant others though, it's still a little awkward even with best friends.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I definitely am a hugger... I just love contact with the people that are close to me, makes me feel good!

But if there is someone I do not feel comfortable with (example: new collague) I hate being touched!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm a hugger! That said I don't go around randomly hugging people. But I will hug people I barely know. Maybe I've talked to them a few times online or once before in person. I have a friend I meet online and we hug but I don't hug his wife. I have several clients who I hug and some I don't. I would say it's about 50/50. The ones I hug end up being longer term clients. Might need to hug a few more. :happy:
  • knight_owl
    Options
    It depends. If I know you really well, then I'm totally a hugger. Otherwise, I avoid it.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I would have been a hugger, but everyone assumes I'm the sort of person you hug under penalty of death. So, being the shy one, I never get any hugs. Which is lame, 'cause I love hugs.