Why almond milk

Options

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Milk is not healthy - too much sodium and calories.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Almond Vanilla/and Chocolate SILK are delicious. You're still getting your calcium. I started drinking this stuff after finding out about the horrible mistreatment of cows, infected udders with pus, the antibiotics to treat that, and of course rBGH... Only way I'll drink dairy milk is if it's organic or straight from the cow's hand squeezed udders. I just want the cows to be happy.

Just to clarify, organic labeling has little to nothing to do with the treatment of cows. Nontherapeutic antibiotics and rBGH may be avoided in organic, but the cows aren't treated that differently.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    What does Almond milk taste like? I can't stand the taste of Cow's milk. BLAH!
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Really? Here I get it 2 for $5.

I will use it because I am lactose intolerent. Same with soy milk, but Almond milk is the closest to tasting like "real milk"

I was wondering what it tasted like, so thanks! It is quite a bit more expensive, though..

It tastes great. It's a little different than cow's milk, but 40 cals for a cup? And it's yummy!! And no, it is not more expensive. The shelf life exponentially outweighs the price. If you aren't an everyday drinker, it will last forever! Plus they sell it in shelf stable containers, so you can stock up during a sale and put it in your pantry. I am totaly PRO almond milk....especially the chocolate! My daughter prefers the chocolate almond milk to cow's milk.

A small container of almond milk is around $5.. for the same price, I can get 4 litres of cow's milk.. so yes, it it more expensive.

Where are you shopping?! I looked at your profile and saw that you live in London.. I'm in Toronto, so we're pretty close. I got some today 2/$4, but that's only cause it was on sale.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I will try it.Thank you for the responses. I don't understand why we are not supposed to have cow's milk though?

Because cows' milk is for baby cows.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    What does Almond milk taste like? I can't stand the taste of Cow's milk. BLAH!
    The original kind has a very mild, creamy almond-y taste and is just a tiny bit sweet. If you like almonds, you will like almond milk. If you don't like almonds, you still might like almond milk, but probably only IN things, not on its own.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Because buying overpriced B.S. makes people feel better about themselves
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes, well there is that.
    I always feel superior when I drink almond milk. After all, it *IS* special enough to come in a carton instead of a jug, so it must be better.

:flowerforyou:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, well there is that.
    I always feel superior when I drink almond milk. After all, it *IS* special enough to come in a carton instead of a jug, so it must be better.

:flowerforyou:

LOL, at least you admit it.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cows are injected with large amounts of hormones to make more milk, and lots of antibiotics to fight off the diseases that spread through factory farms.

Health Concerns about Dairy Products: http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=252

Oh, and I'm lactose intolerant too, but I prefer plain light soy milk.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk because I hate the taste of cow's milk and still need the calcium. My grandmother has osteoporosis and I don't want to end up with it.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I shop at Superstore and it is always 2 for $5, if you don't have a Superstore a Zehrs might have it for that price too
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Lower calories and great taste!

Most cow's milk contains hormones that cause harm and soy milk (products) can cause several endocrine disorders.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
    http://www.optimumchoices.com/Soy.htm

So my best bet is almond milk, coconut milk & hemp milk :)
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i cant seem to find almond milk here in the UK. anyone else in the UK has located it in any of the supermarkets? If so, which one?
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I found this thread after a search on "Almond Milk". I bought a carton of vanilla-flavored almond milk yesterday, and put some in a smoothie this morning. Wow. GREAT flavor for a smoothie, and a nice cut in calories compared to the cow's milk or watered-down OJ I've been using. My thanks to others who have posted about it in the forums.

I don't think it'll replace milk for drinking, though. We still get actual delivery from a dairy, and the milk I drink on Wednesday was in a cow on Tuesday. It's hard to beat the freshness, and real dairy milk makes supermarket milk taste like dreck.
  • daylewinslow
    Options
    my main reason is it's 40 cal for a whole cup - if you buy unsweeten almond milk - so i like using less calories and i think i taste fine with cereal or shakes - jus saying!!
  • afugua0002
    Options
    AMEN! They are called factory farms for a reason!
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    i cant seem to find almond milk here in the UK. anyone else in the UK has located it in any of the supermarkets? If so, which one?

Hi. I'm in UK too. You can buy it from Holland and Barrett, but it is about £3.49 a litre. I make my own. It's easy to make. I'll PM you how to do it if you like :smile:
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's delicious, low calorie and has more calcium than cow's milk. Can't go wrong, imo!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

Hi. I'm in UK too. You can buy it from Holland and Barrett, but it is about £3.49 a litre. I make my own. It's easy to make. I'll PM you how to do it if you like :smile:

hey there, thanks for the reply. looking forward to the recipe. i doubt i will be buying it in holland and barrett at that price lol.