You Let Yourself Go

Options
I kind of hate that expression “you let yourself go”. I didn’t go anywhere. I was never THEIR to begin with. I was born nearly 10 pounds to a diabetic mother. I was a very fat baby who became a fat toddler, a fat child, a fat pre-teen, a fat teen. I weighed 300 pounds by the time I was in high school.

I have never had one single day in my entire life that I wasn't fat. I guess when you’ve never been thin you don’t know what you’re missing. But I DO know what I would be missing if I was no longer fat.

I would be missing the stares and dirty looks of strangers as I pass them in the store or on the street. I would be missing the snarky remarks of sales girls telling me "we don't carry anything in YOUR size". I would be missing having to assess that flimsy chair at a friend's house, wondering if I sit, will it hold me? Missing the comments of friends and family asking if I've been exercising and eating right. Missing going through pair after pair of jeans because my touching thighs keep rubbing holes in them. Missing going through life never knowing what my style is, because I've always just had to settle for what I could find that would fit me. Missing the judgmental smirks of strangers if I dare eat anything other than a salad. Missing never going swimming in 20 years because I would make people sick if I wore a bathing suit. Missing never being able to enjoy a nice long soak in a bath because most tubs are too narrow and squeeze my hips. Missing going through the hottest summer months sweltering in jeans and big shirts. Missing chairs with arms that pinch and poke and dig into me like medieval torture devices. Missing clothes that are either too tight or lay on me like a potato sack - nothing every fitting right.

Those are just a few of the things I want to go the rest of my life “missing”. So ok, I don't know what I'm missing not being thin? But I will be happy going the rest of my life missing what it's like being fat.

I never did Let Myself Go. But now I fully intend to. I Let Myself Go …down the fresh fruit and vegetable isle instead of the chips isle. I Let Myself Go down the street for a walk. I let Let Myself Go to the farmer's market instead of a fast food joint. I Let Myself Go for a hike instead of the movies. For the first time in my life I really am "letting myself go". And you know what? I'm pretty proud of that. :)

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I seriously :heart: u!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry people ever treated you like that. It's sick. So proud of you for taking your life back, make sure you do it for yourself only!
  • jennisgonnadoit
    jennisgonnadoit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I may come back to read this over and over again but I understand exactly where you are coming from!

Good work and keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    One of the best posts I've read. xxx
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You are freakin' amazing! I hope you are so proud of yourself and the fact that you are 'letting yourself go' - what a great way to turn that comment around for the best!

Totally agree with Sassia, this is one of the best posts I've ever read here!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    hahah Thank you, guys! You all are too sweet to me! :heart:
  • donni123
    donni123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Super post, you are a great writer. I am sure that you have captured the experience of many on this site. Sounds like you are taking control of where YOU want to go. Best of Luck and hugs.
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    you are amazing.

Best of luck through your journey!
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a great post. Good luck to you :flowerforyou: You can do this!
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This post is sooooo freaking amazing. You have no idea how much this inspires me, my heaviest was 259 but a lot of the things you "will never miss" are things I too have felt. and can't wait to never think of again. I am going to read this over and over and over again anytime I have motivation issues. Thank you for being you! Good luck on your journey. :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Awesome post!
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    Great post! Best of luck in your journey :heart:
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, YOU ROCK!!!!!
  • lynntfuzz
    lynntfuzz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great post. You can now "let yourself go" discover all the new experiences you can have with a healthier lifestyle. You can "gain" a lot as you lose. ;) I want to feel full of energy again. I'm one of those people who did "let myself go". I was always average, or slightly above average. But then I stopped exercising and started eating for comfort. I now see that I can't do the things I once took for granted.. .like running, skiing, jumping down from something, running up stairs. I LOST a lot, as I gained.
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You actually brought a tear to my eye! So inspiring
    Good Luck with your journey, your positive attitude is an inspiration to all of us :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yay!

I often wonder if people judge me for my weight. I weigh a lot more than I did when I was a teen, and I think some folks assume that I left myself go after getting married. I didn't let anything go. I have had some medical issues that made me want to be less active, and that gave me a hard time metabolizing food. I'm getting over those, and getting into shape. I didn't stop taking care of myself at any time. In fact, I'm doing more than ever to maintain my health and appearance.

Thanks for posting this. It was good to read.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Love your attitude and recognise so much of what you are saying - great read :)
  • kissoffools
    Options
    This is an amazing post! :)
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    good luck to you! I found your post very inspirational even though I was somewhat skinny I've never been physically fit