Pregnant and smoking

Options
p0pr0cksnc0ke
p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
Sooo... thoughts?

I was a smoker both times I got pregnant. When I found I was pregnant, quit cold turkey.

I have had some friends smoke less while pregnant but still continues to do so.

In a discussion with a friend, she stated that someone who is pregnant and smokes is not selfish. I had to disagree.. to which she blew up that some people just can't handle stress, blah blah blah. And, again I had to say.. yeah.. but its still selfish.. LOL

Sorry in advance for all the preggo smokers I just offended. :flowersforyourbaby:

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing, putting baby's well being first. Everyone is free to choose, but smoking while pregnant is a terrible decision.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Well it is better then smoking crack!

Maybe I should develop a cigarette with prenatal vitamins in it....
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Smoking while pregnant is complete idiocy. I don't care if I offend anybody. If you are pregnant or even nursing and smoking, you are putting your baby's health at risk.
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is that obviously people have been having babies for thousands of years.

For some of those years, im sure women were smoking and drinking while carrying a child.

And yet we're still here...
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I actually had a friend whose doctor recommended for her *not* to quit smoking during her pregnancy. Stress on the baby was cited as the reason. *cough cough enabler cough cough*

Any stress on the baby can't be worse than the effects of smoking on the developing baby.

Just IMO of course
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    You did the right thing, putting baby's well being first. Everyone is free to choose, but smoking while pregnant is a terrible decision.

Everyone is free to chose.. you are right.

I feel that its not fair.. not like the baby can move to the "non smoking "section of the uterus.
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif

Have a feeling that this one is gonna get good.....
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is that obviously people have been having babies for thousands of years.

For some of those years, im sure women were smoking and drinking while carrying a child.

Yes, but lots of those babies turned out pretty unhealthy. Like my sister who was born with a hole in her heart.

There are lots of stupid things that people have been doing for millenia, but just because people have always done it doesn't mean it's ok. We know now how these things affect a developing fetus. You know better, you do better. Or should, anyway.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Agreed, totally selfish. My MIL used to brag about how she smoked throughout her pregnancy with my husband and that it was fine. But then in another story she'll tell you how tiny he was when he was born. REFUSES to see the connection. If something is merely a risk, I try not to judge anyone for taking a risk that I wouldn't. But smoking is flat out verifiably bad, I don't understand how anyone can defend it.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you both times, though it wasn't because I was pregnant. It was because I woke up one morning (both times) thinking how disgusting they were and threw full packs away, then later found out I was pregnant. (So, the 2nd child should have been a given). I would have quit anyway, just quit before I actually found out.

A girl at work said she smokes "less".... I had to walk away. I did not want to get into a fight with a pregnant co-worker and lose my job...
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, it took me a few days each time to quit. I cut down each day and within a week I had quit. It was even harder because both my ex husband (1st 2 kids) and my husband (3rd kid) smoke and didn't feel the need to quit with me.

It is still my opinion that while incubating a little person, you should not put harmful substances in your body.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Smoking is definitely selfish - pregnant or not you are doing it for your own enjoyment only.

If you are a very heavy smoker I've read that Dr's have recommended weaning off as opposed to cold turkey.
    Going from 2 packs a day to none overnight can have adverse affects.

I smoke. I quit cold when was pregnant - but I only was smoking a few a day, not packs.

Before smoking became so outcast - lots of women smoked and had healthy children, I know some who have more recently.
    It's a personal decision, but smoking itself is always selfish.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options

Completely true! But now we are having many studies that are coming out based on smoking while pregnant and fetal alcohol syndrome that people didnt know thousands of years ago. I know its not going to wipe out human existance.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker when I got pregnant and quit shortly after I found out...I couldnt help but vision this litttle baby sleeping in my tummy and all the sudden a cloud of smoke come in...LOL No serioulsy I thought it was the healthies thing to do for my child..the end result my son was born with asthma go figure !

It bothers me to see women smoking while pregnant ...Its just me but It makes me shake my head !
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I actually had a friend whose doctor recommended for her *not* to quit smoking during her pregnancy. Stress on the baby was cited as the reason. *cough cough enabler cough cough*

Any stress on the baby can't be worse than the effects of smoking on the developing baby.

This actually is true (depending on how much they smoke and how long they have smoked in the pregnancy). They tell them to cut down, but sometimes cutting it out completely can be worse. Kinda of like if you were using crack while pregnant....the baby is already addicted to the substance and cutting it out will cause the baby to go through withdrawal (i.e., stress).

I'm not saying that it is a good thing by any means. However, it is not the worst thing a pregnant woman could be doing.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You know what? I'm not really a judger on the "Mommy Wars." I'm just not.

Of course it's bad to smoke while pregnant. I never did (wasn't a smoker anyway). But I took other risks. Maybe worse risks. I got in my car, and QUITE LITERALLY risked my unborn children's lives most every day of each pregnancy. Sometimes I only did it for fun-- I wanted to go to the mall! Well, it could have killed them. Happens everyday. I would need a true scientific assessment to say that smoking is more or less dangerous to one's life than car travel...
    I even still do it now. My kids are in carseats, & I drive safely, but tonight when I take them to Karate just for a "WANT" (not a "need"), we will be risking their lives in the car.

I also got the epidural (except the last time, when she came too fast, and weighed almost 10 lbs, but I digress), etc, etc, etc. Unless it's REALLY greivious, we're just all on the honor system to do the best WE can do. The best "you" can do isn't always the best everyone else can do. Maybe you ate lunch meat while you were pregnant. You have to try to be safe, but still live.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

So, as long as someone isn't jeopardizing the human race as a whole, the practice is acceptable? Super logic.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Do you know that that's true, or do you assume that to be true?

I'm asking without snark. I don't know that I buy that line, TBH. I haven't seen scientific evidence supporting it, I've only seen people assume it. It may be true, I'm just asking, b/c it seems like one of those common internet assumptions, but I'm not certain it's real.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Do you know that that's true, or do you assume that to be true?

I'm asking without snark. I don't know that I buy that line, TBH. I haven't seen scientific evidence supporting it, I've only seen people assume it. It may be true, I'm just asking, b/c it seems like one of those common internet assumptions, but I'm not certain it's real.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Because when the baby's born, you're not going to still pop a ciggy in his mouth so he doesn't have withdrawal. So I'm not really seeing how it's more stressful to quit while you're pregnant.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    You know what? I'm not really a judger on the "Mommy Wars." I'm just not.

Of course it's bad to smoke while pregnant. I never did (wasn't a smoker anyway). But I took other risks. Maybe worse risks. I got in my car, and QUITE LITERALLY risked my unborn children's lives most every day of each pregnancy. Sometimes I only did it for fun-- I wanted to go to the mall! Well, it could have killed them. Happens everyday. I would need a true scientific assessment to say that smoking is more or less dangerous to one's life than car travel...
    I even still do it now. My kids are in carseats, & I drive safely, but tonight when I take them to Karate just for a "WANT" (not a "need"), we will be risking their lives in the car.

I also got the epidural (except the last time, when she came too fast, and weighed almost 10 lbs, but I digress), etc, etc, etc. Unless it's REALLY greivious, we're just all on the honor system to do the best WE can do. The best "you" can do isn't always the best everyone else can do. Maybe you ate lunch meat while you were pregnant. You have to try to be safe, but still live.

Wow.... such a risk taker you are and good for you NOT to be judgmental of others, lol.