Pregnant and smoking

Options

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    yeah, I don't even buy beefaroni. But I do work with low-income families who will go to the 10 for $10 sale and buy as much as they can.

I wasn't knocking it, because I've been down on hard times for a long time myself. I was just pointing it out. :wink:
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My best friend continued smoking while she was pregnant. I once got up the gumption to ask her about it and she said her doctor actually recommended she NOT quit because quitting would put stress on her and the baby. O.o I'm not going to judge anyone else's decisions, even though I don't agree with it, but she keeps saying both of her kids "are healthy as a horse" when they were born, which to some degree is true. My goddaughter (that she smoked with) though, has had ear infections, lung/sinus/colds, coughs, etc., the entire 9 months she's been out of the womb and has been to the ER and doctor's office every single month. Of course if I brought up that it was maybe because she smoked while pregnant with her, I'd probably get *****ed at.

Is she still smoking? I think it has more to do with that. Kids that live in homes with smokers have more upper respiratory and ear issues.

Smoking during pregnancy is associated with low birth weight and an increased risk of SIDS.

Yep, she still smokes and I know it definitely is because of that too. My fiancee's daughter is 8 and also has horrible upper respiratory and sinus issues because when she lived with her mom, her mom chain smoked like nobody's business. When she comes home from being out with her mom, she reeks of smoke too. Sad thing is, she asks her mom to stop smoking all the time, but her mom won't.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    well, just because you didn't smoke in front or around your kids doesn't mean that they weren't exposed to the smoke. There is such a thing as third-hand smoke which is when the toxins/smoke smell is on your clothing, hair, skin, etc. I'm not saying that you are a bad parent. However, if smoking was so easy to stop while you were pregnant why did you start again?

There are some major cities with so much pollution it's actually worse on your health than smoking one butt a day.
    3rd hand smoke will come off any smoker - not just the Moms - we can't live in bubbles - you wouldn't even know who they are. Quitting smoking isn't as easy for some as it is for others. If quitting strictly for the health of the baby but still wanting to, it's easy to fall back into it, especially if you are in the company of other smokers. I quit cold turkey... had a miscarriage... took up smoking again - a few a day, never was a heavy smoker but I'd been a light smoker for 25 years, the urge stays. If I get pregnant again will totally quit again. I never smoke indoors and would never smoke around children - but I still smoke a couple a day - and sometimes none a day, depends on the day. Nobody's perfect. I commend anyone who is able to quit. Bringing up 3rd hand smoke seems overly nitpicky to me.

and I doubt that your kids are hugging strangers and smelling their hair and clothes. If they are, that's your business and I don't really want to know about it.

3rd hand smoke= if your babysitter who lives at home parents smoke, but they don't.
    If family members or your kids friends parents smoke outside the home
    If a teacher/tutor/coach smokes
    If a daycare worker smokes
    If a Dr or school nurse smokes

The list goes on and on of people who could have contact with children exposing them to 3rd hand smoke.
    They don't have to be strangers - and you probably don't even know they are smokers. Most people don't think I smoke when they meet me.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Bringing up 3rd hand smoke seems overly nitpicky to me.

I've never been pregnant or smoked, but I grew up with every adult in my life smoking around me without abandon. I would have been thrilled to not have to bat away smoke everywhere but my own bedroom and not have asthma, or get stuck in cars with people smoking, etc, etc. I'm not saying my parents were bad in general because of this, but it would have saved us from having a lot of arguments when my brother and sister and I would ask them to at least go outside and they refused.

I tend to agree that 3rd hand smoke can't be much worse than pollution in some areas, and can't be worse than second hand smoke. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's still a better option in my opinion.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    yeah, I don't even buy beefaroni. But I do work with low-income families who will go to the 10 for $10 sale and buy as much as they can.

I wasn't knocking it, because I've been down on hard times for a long time myself. I was just pointing it out. :wink:

Bry, there is a big difference between Beefaroni and Chef's mini raviolis...mkay?:flowerforyou:

dammit.. I am not supposed to be in here! I opted out.. sigh... I blame you Bry.:smooched:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I know. I just wanted to remind you that it was an example, not something that I actually have to do at this point in my life and I'm thankful for that everyday.

That being said, I personally believe that smokers are some of the rudest people in the world. Most of them wouldn't even hesitate to light up with their kids in the car, blow smoke in your face, or my personal favorite stand in front of the door to the mall or an office building and blow smoke into the baby carriage as I attempt to enter.. Working with children who come from smokers homes is so difficult. They smell like smoke and they're sick all the time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read the response before. I was just wondering how you can judge others for being stressed when you did the same thing (granted you weren't pregnant, but how can you judge someone's situation when you don't know it).

Did you take a shower and change your clothes every time you came in from smoking? I ask because the toxins would have been in those things too.

Ok, this is in all honesty JUST A FUNNY, but this from the person who serves processed foods to her kids? Badabing! Come on, you KNOW that was funny. :laugh:

I can only speak from my own experience, but I’ve been hearing about the dangers of third hand smoke for a few years now. Of all the children in my family, mine is the only one who (as an infant) is not regularly around people who smoke. No one in my family smokes in their homes or cars (well, my grandparents did, but they’ve been dead for 7 years now), but most of them either currently smoke or have quite within the last 7 years (except my cousin whose mom is a heavy smoker and one of his primary babysitters). My child hasn’t been around the other family members regularly because they all live within a 10 mile radius in PA and I’m in NC, so that limits contact. Mine is the only one (out of 9) in his generation of my family who hasn’t had chronic ear infections, chronic sinus and other chronic respiratory infections, and/or had to have an in home nebulizer for any period of time (knock on wood). Maybe together my and DH’s genes are just that much more robust than the rest of the family, but I really think it really has a lot to do with exposure too.
    I say this recognizing I would never tell my family that I think this, and fully acknowledging that it’s a controversial stand point that I have as a matter of opinion not as a matter of judgment. As an ex-heavy smoker I don’t judge people who choose to stand out in the weather and smoke, I fully understand the addiction and the draw.
  • iuangina
    Options

I've never been pregnant or smoked, but I grew up with every adult in my life smoking around me without abandon. I would have been thrilled to not have to bat away smoke everywhere but my own bedroom and not have asthma, or get stuck in cars with people smoking, etc, etc. I'm not saying my parents were bad in general because of this, but it would have saved us from having a lot of arguments when my brother and sister and I would ask them to at least go outside and they refused.

I tend to agree that 3rd hand smoke can't be much worse than pollution in some areas, and can't be worse than second hand smoke. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's still a better option in my opinion.

I still think it's different when it's the people that you live with every day. But there's no point in arguing that point anymore.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Actually, both times that I was pregnant, my doctor told me that it was better to cut back than to quit cold turkey. It is a shock to the system, and causes spikes in blood pressure to go cold turkey. Maybe try not being so judgmental since both my kids were born perfectly healthy and had no ill effects from it.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You know what? I'm not really a judger on the "Mommy Wars." I'm just not.

Of course it's bad to smoke while pregnant. I never did (wasn't a smoker anyway). But I took other risks. Maybe worse risks. I got in my car, and QUITE LITERALLY risked my unborn children's lives most every day of each pregnancy. Sometimes I only did it for fun-- I wanted to go to the mall! Well, it could have killed them. Happens everyday. I would need a true scientific assessment to say that smoking is more or less dangerous to one's life than car travel...
    I even still do it now. My kids are in carseats, & I drive safely, but tonight when I take them to Karate just for a "WANT" (not a "need"), we will be risking their lives in the car.

I also got the epidural (except the last time, when she came too fast, and weighed almost 10 lbs, but I digress), etc, etc, etc. Unless it's REALLY greivious, we're just all on the honor system to do the best WE can do. The best "you" can do isn't always the best everyone else can do. Maybe you ate lunch meat while you were pregnant. You have to try to be safe, but still live.

According to the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0072.pdf), "Smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined."

So, there's your answer. I'm sure there's other studies that can support something like that, but that one was within the first handful of my Google search results for "cigarette smoking-related deaths versus deaths from car accidents."
    Sorry-- I didn't phrase that as I meant. That's an answer comparing smoking in the general population, and the long-term affects to smokers (& I assume second-hand smokers). I meant smoking as pertains to a pregnant woman, and the effects on her unborn child.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    it is terrible to smoke and be pregnant. You are absolutely right. There is no argument that can rebut that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I know. I just wanted to remind you that it was an example, not something that I actually have to do at this point in my life and I'm thankful for that everyday.

That being said, I personally believe that smokers are some of the rudest people in the world. Most of them wouldn't even hesitate to light up with their kids in the car, blow smoke in your face, or my personal favorite stand in front of the door to the mall or an office building and blow smoke into the baby carriage as I attempt to enter.. Working with children who come from smokers homes is so difficult. They smell like smoke and they're sick all the time.

You really must be careful of generalizing a full population of people. This actually only characterizes the minority of smokers that I know.
  • bry_all01
    Options

Good for you that you don't. I do, but I know how to stretch a dollar and buy healthier options. Such is life.

But, your statement was one of THE most ridiculously GENERALIZED statement I have ever seen in my ENTIRE life. Not ALL smokers are rude. Not all smokers stand in doorways. Not all smokers light up in others faces. Not all smokers smoke in their car or others. SOME smokers just go outside, regardless of the weather - away from others. I never smoked at large outdoor events, unless I could get away from the crowd, because I did not want to be in THEIR space or face. I know many people who are just like that, too. So, no. All smokers are NOT rude.
  • iuangina
    Options

You really must be careful of generalizing a full population of people. This actually only characterizes the minority of smokers that I know.

well, it's been my experience that it happens more often than not. I can count the number of times that someone as actively attempted to avoid blowing smoke in my face on one hand.
  • AmandaJoi25
    Options
    Sooo... thoughts?

I was a smoker both times I got pregnant. When I found I was pregnant, quit cold turkey.

I have had some friends smoke less while pregnant but still continues to do so.

In a discussion with a friend, she stated that someone who is pregnant and smokes is not selfish. I had to disagree.. to which she blew up that some people just can't handle stress, blah blah blah. And, again I had to say.. yeah.. but its still selfish.. LOL

Sorry in advance for all the preggo smokers I just offended. :flowersforyourbaby:

I got one better than that I used to be a stripper and I had another girl argue with me that it was ok to use heroin while pregnant lol. Whatever to each there own.
  • bry_all01
    Options

well, it's been my experience that it happens more often than not. I can count the number of times that someone as actively attempted to avoid blowing smoke in my face on one hand.

Were you making generalizations? Not saying you deserved it, because no one does. I'm just asking...
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Some of them are, I agree, but not all. I don't smoke around kids or people I know hate smoke, entrances (except by my work building designated area - there is a non smoke entrance - and this is not a public building - no kids). I can't stand when other smokers walk down crowded city street smoking exposing everyone to it and can't stand the littering when there are plenty of places to properly dispose. My parents both chain smoked in the house - it was gross. Thankfully, I didn't have any health issues.

And I have never witness a smoker blow smoke purposefully at a non smoker or a baby - and I know a LOT of smokers so that's got to be a minute percentage of smokers.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My sister in law smoked less during pregnancy and her daughter was really low in weight and she had a hole in her lung...
  • iuangina
    Options

Were you making generalizations? Not saying you deserved it, because no one does. I'm just asking...

funny, but no

It's simply my experience. I don't think that all smokers do it, but there is definitely a large portion of them that don't consider others that have to walk through it. I mean there are people who will light up right under a non-smoking sign
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

I still think it's different when it's the people that you live with every day. But there's no point in arguing that point anymore.

I guess I don't quite understand what your point is. It is different when you live with smokers. I know I didn't realize how much I must have smelled like smoke until I went off to college and came home on holidays. It's very noticeable to me now. But growing up I still was bothered by the smoke being in the house, and having it be out of the house would have been a big improvement. I think if someone can't or doesn't want to just quit after they have kids, this is the next best thing.