Only women need reply!...Unless you are a doctor!!:)

Options
124»

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because of hormones. During your TOM, serotonin levels dip and that's why you become cranky and depressed. Candy and chocolate has quick carbs which can increase your mood a bit. Don't worry, it's only once a month. Don't try to go overboard.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I need a salt lick and a bag of chocolate when its that TOM...well, at least it feels like that.

I usually eat a small amount of several not-so-healthy foods and make sure I track them all. Not great advice, but I keep tracking and buckle down in other areas.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I crave salt and steak.... go figure. I usually go for sunflower seeds in the shell. Sometimes I go for chocolate, my fav is dark chocolate almond nuggets from Hershey. Not big into baked goods though, they usually make me feel sick to my tummy.

LOL! I crave steak too! it's funny cause I'm a vegetarian and would never eat meat, but I do eat a lot of food during that time- it's awful, but I just feel STARVED the week before my TOM. :/ No fun.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I ate 24 Hershey Kisses last night due to time of month.

Or at least that's what I'm going to blame.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Try the Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds to curb that craving! 6 g of protein, Total Carbs 6, and 3 g of fiber! 150 Calories for a 1/4 cup!
  • ddeather
    Options
    I don't keep track of my TOM (hubby was snipped), but I can tell a few days before because I eat everything in sight and simply don't give a darn at the time! The good news is that after the bloating is gone, I don't seem to have an increase in weight gain. Wonder if there's an increase in metabolism with my TOM:wink:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Definitely hormones. I get cravings every month and with each one of my pregnancies. And with pregnancy it was worse because it was the ENTIRE 9 months, not just once a month!! I'm amazed I only gained 30 lbs with each pregnancy. I pretty much lived off chocolate ice cream!
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The week before I get mine, I am a bottomless pit. I don't just crave sweets, I am STARVING all of the time and no matter how much I eat I'm always hungry. Sometimes it's not as bad, I guess it is different from month to month.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I crave salt and steak.... go figure. I usually go for sunflower seeds in the shell. Sometimes I go for chocolate, my fav is dark chocolate almond nuggets from Hershey. Not big into baked goods though, they usually make me feel sick to my tummy.
    Mmmmm....chocolate covered steak sounds sooo good right now.....:tongue:
  • traceracer
    Options
    I don't keep track of my TOM (hubby was snipped), but I can tell a few days before because I eat everything in sight and simply don't give a darn at the time! The good news is that after the bloating is gone, I don't seem to have an increase in weight gain. Wonder if there's an increase in metabolism with my TOM:wink:
    That is a really good question!!
  • traceracer
    Options
    Try the Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds to curb that craving! 6 g of protein, Total Carbs 6, and 3 g of fiber! 150 Calories for a 1/4 cup!
    HaHa but the only problem is that I wouldnt eat just a 1/4 cup....lol
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer. I'm on BC where I get my period once every 3 months, well not really, with this pill it can actually totally get rid of my periods, but anyways, it's getting colder, and I'm getting the same period cravings. Talk about crazy! I also crave salty sweet, like my all time fav, and a few will always do the trick, a chocolate covered cherry, follwed immediatly with a salty vinegar pringle! super yummy, or pretzels dipped in cream cheese.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer. I'm on BC where I get my period once every 3 months, well not really, with this pill it can actually totally get rid of my periods, but anyways, it's getting colder, and I'm getting the same period cravings. Talk about crazy! I also crave salty sweet, like my all time fav, and a few will always do the trick, a chocolate covered cherry, follwed immediatly with a salty vinegar pringle! super yummy, or pretzels dipped in cream cheese.

Even if you don't have your period you still have the hormone levels going up and down.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I crave milk when I'm on mine. I don't drink milk normally, ONLY that week. Don't know why, but I just go with it ha ha
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/scschenk/view/the-captain-s-tom-blog-166347

check this blog out - he does a good job of explaining what's going on during the TOM
    Is he a doctor though?!

That's my blog. I'm not a physician but I am a prof who teaches A&P for a living. :smile: