we are all going to put the weight back on!!

Options
According to my partners dietician that is!

He was sent to see her to help him lose weight. He told her what I have been doing and she said that the whole concept was a ridiculous idea and no one should be told by an app or website how much they can eat and that it will just lead to me gaining it all back. He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Just as I was about to tell him its not stupid ect as he carried on about how ridiculous mfp is he turns round and says "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!". I would have pointed out that's exactly the same as what I'm doing but thought it would be a waste of breath

Gave me a laugh though!

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's shocking how clueless Doctors can be about weight loss!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I don't think dietians are really THAT informed all the time. I guess you could ask HOW they came up with that 1500 calorie mark. Then you can compare it to how this site comes up with that number. ie.. BMR or whatever.

It's more than likely the same formula
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OMG, that makes no sense.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    How hard was it for you to not be like "yea, I KNOW"
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options

True...my doctor doesn't even know wha weight watchers is...:embarassed:

Or if you say " I need help to lose weight" his response is "when you go shopping park at the other end of the parking lot and walk" wth
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's an attempt to justify her job. If app do all the work, why would we need her anymore? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math to calculate the number of calories you need in a day to lose weight.

Sure there are some people here who will gain weight back. I think that's true of anything. However, what kind of faulty logic is it to say a program that helps you record you calories is not going to work. That's one of the best ways to lose weight and keep it off.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sounds like somebody is miffed that a computer program is putting her kind out to pasture.

That's what all her sniveling is really about.
    We live in the age of information, and the former gate keepers of knowledge are no longer needed or much valued.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The dietician also doesn't want to lose any business. :-) If they thought they could be replaced by an app, I'm sure they are concerned about their livelihood.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I don't think doctor's want us to be healthy they will be without jobs.....
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Hasn't he noticed how much weight you've lost! How can he say it's not working!?
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Or if you say " I need help to lose weight" his response is "when you go shopping park at the other end of the parking lot and walk" wth

I just think of Jillian Michaels' in 30DS when she's all "“So often we are told, just take the stairs. That is a false message of lethargy ! If you want results, they ain't coming' for free!”
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    How is he going to log his food? Or did she leave that part out of the weight loss equation?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    How is the dietian going to know you are / aren't adhering to the 1500 calorie rule if you aren't supposed to track them somehow?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    According to my partners dietician that is!

He was sent to see her to help him lose weight. He told her what I have been doing and she said that the whole concept was a ridiculous idea and no one should be told by an app or website how much they can eat and that it will just lead to me gaining it all back. He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Just as I was about to tell him its not stupid ect as he carried on about how ridiculous mfp is he turns round and says "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!". I would have pointed out that's exactly the same as what I'm doing but thought it would be a waste of breath

Gave me a laugh though!

Why would you need a dietician when a website can tell you. JOB SECRITY
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've been married to the same guy for 11 years, and it's a proven fact -- your partner WILL NOT hear this kind of advice if YOU say it. However, if someone ELSE tell them the same thing, they will suddenly have a REVELATION: "Hey, guess what I found out today????" It must be a glitch in the chromosomes. What's even worse is if they suddenly believe it when their MOTHER says it. :noway:

Just pat him on the head and say, "That's nice, dear." :laugh: And then share the laugh with your girl buds.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that 1500 calories for a man might be VERY hard for him to achieve.

When I entered all my information into MFP, it tells me that to lose 1 lb a week, I should eat around 1200 calories. For my husband who is 6'1" and ~210lbs, it tells him that he can eat 2200 calories per day.

Is this a registered dietician? In some states, people can call themselves "nutritionists" without any qualifications at all. Of course if he was referred, then the person probably does have some sort of credentials. It's too bad that he found someone that seems so negative and uninformed.

Congratulations on your huge weight loss!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    That's funny. My nutritionist told me to log calories and stuff.. but she sent me a little small booklet to write everything down in. Isn't that about the same thing as calorie counting on MFP, but without the hassle of jotting it all down and doing the math? She'd also told me to take in so many calories a day.. and what'dya know---MFP does the same (not as accurately though, but I take in about the 1200-1500 the doc. suggested). XD Guess which one's free though?

Not knocking dieticians, nutritionist or anything like that. just saying.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How is he going to log his food? Or did she leave that part out of the weight loss equation?

He's not and he is clueless about both calories and portion sizes he sits saying "300cals in your salad that's like the same as my bk meal" so I showed him on here how much his bk meal was and all he could say was "that's a lot" with a stunned look on his face
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    what you should do is create a separate profile with your friends info and then monitor and see if his dietitian gives the same or similar advice based on weight loss. Make sure your friend knows just so they can see as well