we are all going to put the weight back on!!

Options

Replies

• colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    MFP = basically a super awesome, slightly glorified food journal.

Nothing about that statement indicates failure. Food journals are recommended by plenty of competent practitioners and dieticians.

Curious as to why your friend doesn't like that you log your food here? Is he jealous of your results?
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My dietitian had told me about MFP, in the first place. If it wasn't for her, I would still be lost....:noway:
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I went for my physical in November, 28 pounds lighter than last year (from 143 down to 115, I am 5'3" tall). My doc came in the room and said "I'm looking for the skinny mini" and congratulated me. My weight is lower than its ever been as an adult (I'm 48 and have been her patient for almost 25 years). When she saw the number on the cart she asked the nurse who weighed me if it was the right number before she came in the room. She asked me how I did it and I told her about MFP. She said her daughter had just started it and so had a number of the office staff. She was thrilled with my results and even sent some of the staff in to talk to me about it. She was totally supportive of my loss and the MFP site. And that's the kind of doc she is and why I've been with her so long :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not gaining it back. So.... Whatevs!
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The truth of the matter is that some people will regain weight after losing because you have to do a mindset shift while losing.

I heard an NPR story a few years ago, about a 2 yr study done on people losing weight. I don't remember the exact numbers, but at the end of the study 75% of the participates had regained the weight lost in the first 6 months.
    Morale of that story: Lose weight slowly and know that it is a lifestyle change not a DIET.

Exactly. In the end, it isn't the food or even MFP that will keep the weight off -- it is how we incorporate crucial skills into our daily habits.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    something was lost in translation
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    He is a dietician, of course he would say stuff like that and talk crap about MFP. He is loosing business to a free site, people realize they don't need dieticians to lose weight and eat healthy. What stupid d*** though, this site is more effective than dieticians!

Lightning in your ticker!! Yay! :)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am reasonably new to MFP, but I used a similar site in 2007 to lose 43 lb. The only time I gained any of it back was when I was under extreme emotional duress and CHOSE to use food to self-medicate IN SPITE OF what sites like this told me to eat, so I gained back 12 lb. Otherwise, I have been happily maintaining since then (and have chose to drop down even lower now), and I don't intend to stop. So, phbtttttttt to that.

Keeping a food diary is the #1 recommendation given to people who want to lose weight. Most forms of weightloss and weightloss plans are built around this idea. Is it possible he didn't communicate it accurately?
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Is this not a food journal? A user friendly one at that?

I still think there's a place for dietitians. They may give you different advice, or recommend a higher rate of weight loss (if you're extremely overweight and they're supervising), or are helping you with a medical condition like diabetes...or whatever. But chances are, they're going to tell you to do a food journal and achieve x amount of calories and I'd much rather do it this way than on paper!
  • SmallChanges
    Options
    Well unfortunately some doctors think they know it all and don't want people taking a whole body approach, looking online, etc for answers. Keep your head up and keep laughing as you drop the weight! Way to go!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I also use a nutrionist/dietician. I went for my original consultation and of course she gave me the manual food logs to fill out for each day. I asked her about MFP and she said that several of her patients use this app and she thought it was a great tool to use. So I just copy my food logs from MFP and email them to her and that way she has the time to analyze them before my next appointment. I see her once a month, actually saw her this week for my third visit. I can usually get all my questions answered here but I learn something new every month I go to see her. This month she gave me a holiday cookbook put together by the hospital she worked for with lo-cal holiday recipes. It was great and I'm anxious to try some of them and I'll post some if anyone else is interested. Each recipe has all the nutrition with it. Also, I like seeing her monthly as it gives me another person to be accountable to. She has no objection to me using MFP. Each month I get a new booklet of info that has been helpful to me.

I guess she's happy I'm losing weight adhering to the 1500 calorie diet plus she emphasizes how powerful it is to have support around you. So we'll see how it goes and I'll still see her once a month unless it proves useless to do so.

Like most here have said, she probably didnt want to lose a patient, ie cash in hand. LOL I'm glad my dietician didnt say that or I would have never went back.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Calories in, calories out - that's the only thing that will work and be healthy, too. Joy Bauer, registered dietician and Today regular, recommended MFP or Sparkpeople as the best websites to keep track of calories and exercise.
  • Dlynndavis
    Dlynndavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should (somehow) get your friend to use MFP. My husband started using it first and I thought it would be too much work to log every little thing you eat. But I saw his pounds dropping off before my eyes and he was always so excited when it was time to log! And you know what happens when we see our man having too much fun! lol. I then joined and it is so addictive. It truly is a mindset change. It really makes you pay attention and thrive to watch those calories. I don't log on the weekend but I'm mindful of what I'm eating even though I allow myself to have a little of the "other" stuff on the weekends. It has been a teaching tool for me. I can make smart choices and somewhat gage what I'm taking in even when I'm not logging because I have better knowledge of how many calories are in certain foods. The pounds are dropping and I WILL NOT put them back on because my mindset has changed. It's not a temporary or quick fix kind of thing.
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been married to the same guy for 11 years, and it's a proven fact -- your partner WILL NOT hear this kind of advice if YOU say it. However, if someone ELSE tell them the same thing, they will suddenly have a REVELATION: "Hey, guess what I found out today????" It must be a glitch in the chromosomes. What's even worse is if they suddenly believe it when their MOTHER says it. :noway:

Just pat him on the head and say, "That's nice, dear." :laugh: And then share the laugh with your girl buds.

agreed...my hubby thinks that this app is ridiculous and gets annoyed that I am always looking at calories and re-thinking what we all eat at home...
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If MFP motivates and inspires you to lose weight, you will lose it. For everybody who is killing it with MFP, KEEP IT UP! It is about changing the way you live not just changing the way you look.

I think it is important to remember that MFP is not losing the weight for any of us. WE are all working extremely hard and MFP is just a powerful tool that helps us stay in the game. Don't discredit yourselves, we are all taking responsibility for our health and transforming ourselves into stronger individuals! Keep it up!
  • clarehodgson14
    Options
    funny, i share my office with a dietician, when i told what i was doing thought ir was a great idea. My GP took the web adress to be able to recommend it to other clients, as she thought it was a great tool.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is a dietician, and her diet is HORRIBLE. Her 8 year old daughter eats Mc'D's all the time. I would run from that dietician. Also, I had some tests done by a cardiologist who was about 40, he was at least 50lbs overweight. My friend is an oncologist, that SMOKES! go figure...................
    Never trust a skinny chef either.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've been married to the same guy for 11 years, and it's a proven fact -- your partner WILL NOT hear this kind of advice if YOU say it. However, if someone ELSE tell them the same thing, they will suddenly have a REVELATION: "Hey, guess what I found out today????" It must be a glitch in the chromosomes. What's even worse is if they suddenly believe it when their MOTHER says it. :noway:

Just pat him on the head and say, "That's nice, dear." :laugh: And then share the laugh with your girl buds.

True which is why you need girlfriends that are friends with both of you to do the "telling" for you...it totally works...LOL
  • Mummamac
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...

Definitely agree with that!! Sour grapes probably!!

Also because they go and spend so many years studying and the info is being provided for free on the net....they would feel threatened. In a way I can understand BUT I completely disagree with the negativity and I also completely disagree with her comments! Not all of us want to go to, or afford their services so she, as a professional, should be happy that so many people are taking an interest in their own health.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think 500lbs@marathon, Anubis609, Amy_B, and WhitneyW78 (just to name a few totally amazing LOSER-of weight that is) would totally disagree...