we are all going to put the weight back on!!

Options

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    According to my partners dietician that is!

He was sent to see her to help him lose weight. He told her what I have been doing and she said that the whole concept was a ridiculous idea and no one should be told by an app or website how much they can eat and that it will just lead to me gaining it all back. He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Just as I was about to tell him its not stupid ect as he carried on about how ridiculous mfp is he turns round and says "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!". I would have pointed out that's exactly the same as what I'm doing but thought it would be a waste of breath

Gave me a laugh though!

So you are looking for a new dietician?
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The dietician also doesn't want to lose any business. :-) If they thought they could be replaced by an app, I'm sure they are concerned about their livelihood.

Yep, that is probably right!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I 100% LOVE LOVE LOVE MFP!!!!

I can see where she might not believe the site. I mean, there are a ton of websites/apps that are a "journal" that still highly support fad dieting instead of lifestlye changes. Also, everyone is different. You see the debates on here all the time "Do I eat back my exercise calories" or "I am eating 1200 Calories and feel like I'm going to DIE. FEED ME". A dietician can take into account things that the site can't. The site does not know if you have thyroid issues or of you're on medication that effects your weight, and when dealing with those sorts of this, a dietician is a great idea. Everyone is different, and need different things. I really think the difference between MFP and a dietician is that on MFP, you are learning what you need and what fits you, while a dietician will help figure that out for you.
  • AEinAL
    AEinAL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    funny but too true...do what i say...not what i do
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking she either doesn't understand the whole idea that MFP isn't a fad diet, it's about a change in lifestyle, she's afraid of losing money to a free site, or she's just dense.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    When I went for my physical in July, my doctor looked at the weight loss, all the lab results, measurements, etc. I showed him some of the reports I printed from the site and explained what the whole deal was. He was thrilled. So tell that dietician to shut it. LOL
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How is he going to log his food? Or did she leave that part out of the weight loss equation?

This is what I was wondering. Because estimating is a sure recipe for failure, at least in my case. I can't keep track, and I can't guesstimate calories in or out nearly as well as I need to. I'd be in trouble without this site.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    This is funny. How many overweight dieticians have you all seen? Most of the ones i ever met were! Of course a dietician will tell you MFP is no good. They don't want anything threatening their job!
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...

How do I get a job like that? ;) "Uh, lemme just check my formula here, yeah to lose 2 lbs a week, you need to consume 1500 calories according to MFP, I mean according to my math..."
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I introduced my dietician to MFP and she tells all her clients about it now! She thinks it's a great idea!
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh you have opened up a can of worms with this post, of course the Doctors will turn their noses up at this.....THEY DON'T GET PAID IF YOU USE IT AND LOSE WEIGHT. It doesn't put the almighty dollar in their pockets. Don't get me started....... :)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    It's shocking how clueless Doctors can be about weight loss!!!

Clueless of nutrition also.
  • cpeterson70
    cpeterson70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I took a healthy lifestyle/weight management class run by a dietitian and that is how I found this website. She recommended logging your food and exercise and that 90% of those that are successful at weight loss and keeping it off track these items. In fact, she said she even tracks these things herself. It's not all doctors or dietitians who are dumb or uninformed.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Or if you say " I need help to lose weight" his response is "when you go shopping park at the other end of the parking lot and walk" wth

I just think of Jillian Michaels' in 30DS when she's all "“So often we are told, just take the stairs. That is a false message of lethargy ! If you want results, they ain't coming' for free!”

You're giving me flashbacks with that verbatin quote! Nightmares! LOL
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    "when you go shopping park at the other end of the parking lot and walk" wth
    [/quote]

:flowerforyou: That is one of the things that I almost ALWAYS do. I have even parked at the outside edge of the Parking Lot when the Client I was with was in a wheel chair. She tried to get me to park closer to the building, but I told her that there was nothing wrong with My Legs, and she could use some extra Sunshine Vitamins!! I got extra steps and burned extra calories by pushing the wheel chair across the Parking Lot. I have to admit, I did get a few strange looks, :laugh:
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    my dietician actually referred me to MFP.

My doctor referred me to MFP after one of his patients had lots of success with it. And it's been great. :happy:
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went to see a nutritionist a few years ago to help weight loss - I was starving all the time!! MFP is much better.
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    I've been married to the same guy for 11 years, and it's a proven fact -- your partner WILL NOT hear this kind of advice if YOU say it. However, if someone ELSE tell them the same thing, they will suddenly have a REVELATION: "Hey, guess what I found out today????" It must be a glitch in the chromosomes. What's even worse is if they suddenly believe it when their MOTHER says it. :noway:

Just pat him on the head and say, "That's nice, dear." :laugh: And then share the laugh with your girl buds.

ROFLMAO!!! I'm glad someone finally put that down in words!! It happens to me nearly every day, but as of yet I haven't learned how to keep my mouth shut when he rebels against what I've just told him, or say "That's nice dear" when he spouts the same stuff out a few weeks later. Bloody men!
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    Sounds like you need to trade up on boyfriends!