we are all going to put the weight back on!!

Options

Replies

• Bella3119
    Options
    my dietician actually referred me to MFP.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The truth of the matter is that some people will regain weight after losing because you have to do a mindset shift while losing.

I heard an NPR story a few years ago, about a 2 yr study done on people losing weight. I don't remember the exact numbers, but at the end of the study 75% of the participates had regained the weight lost in the first 6 months.
    Morale of that story: Lose weight slowly and know that it is a lifestyle change not a DIET.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Prob because he doesn't like the idea of a website doing his job for him :tongue: :laugh:

MFP works and I am living proof of that! I gained about 10 back bc I got lazy, but I am still down 40 for 2 years!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that 1500 calories for a man might be VERY hard for him to achieve.

When I entered all my information into MFP, it tells me that to lose 1 lb a week, I should eat around 1200 calories. For my husband who is 6'1" and ~210lbs, it tells him that he can eat 2200 calories per day.

Is this a registered dietician? In some states, people can call themselves "nutritionists" without any qualifications at all. Of course if he was referred, then the person probably does have some sort of credentials. It's too bad that he found someone that seems so negative and uninformed.

Congratulations on your huge weight loss!

I thought the same thing as he's 6'3" and 330lb we are in the UK so he was reffered by his Dr to her she works in the local hospital.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    ...seriously? mfp is the only thing that has HELPED me lose and NOT gain
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended this site and the dietician I saw sited all kinds of studies on how people who kept a food journal were most successful.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    My doctor was the one that suggested using an online food diary to track calories.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me about MFP and told me to get on it ASAP, I love absolutely love her.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...

^^^AGREED!!!!^^^^
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...
    BINGO!!
  • jenme
    jenme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doctor was the one who recommened MFP to me.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tracking calories consumed and exercised is key and this site makes it easy! Since I've lost 65 lbs I have people at work asking me about it of course. I sort of chuckle (to myself) cause a lot of them like to talk about how they eat healthy and not that much and so on and so on. I tell them all about MFP and that I think one of the most important things you need to do is record what you eat cause bottom line calories in < calories out = weight loss. When you don't track you are going to eat more calories then you think.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I think the dietician is right. A healthy diet and consistent exercise will never help you keep weight off the way sitting on the couch with a bottomless back of Doritos will.

Sheesh!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    how is logging your food here any different than in a paper journal? And here you can get peer support and advice which may very well be more pertinent to your situation. Doctors know a lot, don't get me wrong, but they do NOT know everything, that would be impossible. So to put all of your trust in them is just not smart. And they should know when they don't know enough about something to give advice. I'm still wondering how the doctor thinks this is a fad diet or something, where all the weight comes back on when you stop doing what you're doing. With MFP, it's called maintenance, where you switch your "Goal" to not losing anymore. It's not like you're going to stop doing what you're doing, it's a part of life by then!
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    probably wants to sell you some giant diet plan that wont work... at their profit....
  • abrantner
    Options
    I think the dietician is right. A healthy diet and consistent exercise will never help you keep weight off the way sitting on the couch with a bottomless back of Doritos will.

Sheesh!

I knew it.. <-- Off to find that bottemless "back of Doritos" :)
  • sinobaako82
    sinobaako82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    According to my partners dietician that is!

He was sent to see her to help him lose weight. He told her what I have been doing and she said that the whole concept was a ridiculous idea and no one should be told by an app or website how much they can eat and that it will just lead to me gaining it all back. He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Just as I was about to tell him its not stupid ect as he carried on about how ridiculous mfp is he turns round and says "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!". I would have pointed out that's exactly the same as what I'm doing but thought it would be a waste of breath

Gave me a laugh though!

It's not like we're starving ourselves, we are choosing to use our calories in the right food and making sure we don't overeat.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I talked about MFP in my nursing class and got a bunch of blank stares. Actually, most of the people in my program are overweight. It's mindblowing to me that future nurses can be so oblivious to the benefits of a site like this. It's much more surprising than a doctor not "getting" it, since the foundations of nursing are more focused on body/mind health rather than medicine.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    He is a dietician, of course he would say stuff like that and talk crap about MFP. He is loosing business to a free site, people realize they don't need dieticians to lose weight and eat healthy. What stupid d*** though, this site is more effective than dieticians!
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I actually found MFP because I was looking for a way to track my calories for the nutritionist that I'm seeing. BTW... MFP gives way more support and info than any professional I've seen and I think is the reason that I'm finally losing weight!