Overweight personal trainers

I don't have a personal trainers but all the ones I have seen on websites/gym advertisments always look really fit and in shape, so this made me wonder if there are any PTs out there that aren't fit and well proportioned. And would any of you use a PT that was obviously overweight/obese? And if not why not?

Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally.

If it is acceptable for coaches to be overweight is it ok for PTs to be overweight?

Food for thought....

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I don't have a personal trainers but all the ones I have seen on websites/gym advertisments always look really fit and in shape, so this made me wonder if there are any PTs out there that aren't fit and well proportioned. And would any of you use a PT that was obviously overweight/obese? And if not why not?

Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally.

If it is acceptable for coaches to be overweight is it ok for PTs to be overweight?

Food for thought....

Just because someone is overweight, it doesn't mean they aren't healthy or fit. Looks can be deceiving. Another thing, just because a personal trainer looks to be in shape, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    There are several personal trainers at the university gym where I work out--most of which are grad students in either exercise physiology, athletic training, or physical education. One has the classic powerlifter physique, a couple are collegiate athletes who are built for their sport (basketball, football, and soccer), and then there's one somewhat older woman who is a bit hippy and "soft"-looking, but I know she can lift an impressive amount of weight, and barely breaks a sweat at top speed on the ergonometer.

Of the lot of them, I prefer to go to Ms. Hippy with my questions because her primary job is as an athletic trainer for a university football team-- designing workout plans that reach the individual athletes' goals and helping them work out when recovering from injuries without doing further damage.

Maybe I'm being somewhat prejudiced against the others, but I feel I can relate to her, and that she isn't going to judge ME because I'm overweight and out of shape as much as Mr Muscle or one of the collegiate athletes. I'm not saying I don't trust them, I just feel more comfortable with her than with them.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.
  • I've wondered this myself.

One of the trainers (she also is a group x teacher) at the gym where I intern is definitely a little bigger, but she does put together some good workouts! The trainer that I intern with said that a lot of the overweight women coming into the gym as first timers gravitate towards her because she's more approachable to them. I can totally see that. She's funny as heck as well :)

I think it depends on goals. When I have a question whether it be about training (studying to be a trainer) or my own workouts, I tend to ask the muscular-type trainers because my personal goal is muscle strength and endurance right now. So, if I were looking to train with someone, I'd pick the guy with the biggest muscles out there. As long as he is funny. And good looking. Ha!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Im currently training to be a PT, and working really hard to get myself ripped and amazingly fit. My feeling is that clients want to be able to trust 100% what you're saying. You are your biggest advert of what can be achieved.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I will be a personal trainer in the future and I will look different than a lot of the other female personal trainers.
  • jeannetteglime
    jeannetteglime Posts: 10 Member
    I am a personal trainer and do not have the typical ripped look as many do. I pride myself on being on being a trainer who has walked in my clients' shoes. I have lost 80 lbs, gained 20 back, lost again, struggle with binge eating disorder, and fight with my fat girl demons every day. I am a trainer because during my weight loss I encountered so many trainers who are blessed with amazing genes and I found that it was hard to come by those who actually knew and had EXPERIENCED the struggles of being fat. It is sometimes intimidating for me to say I am a personal trainer.. I wear a size 10, not a 2.. I always fear judgment as I do not fit the mold of your typical trainer. My business has been very successful though. I find women are more trusting of me due to the fact I can actually respond to their concerns using my own experiences, success, and failures.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I don't pay for a trainer. I just do my own research and craft my own nutrition and exercise plan. There may come a day that I plateu and hire one, but I am not there yet. But if I do, I will only hire someone that is cut and jacked. I will better trust you to get me to where I want to be if you have gotten yourself there first.
  • Opie1980
    Opie1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Just because they are overweight doesn't mean that they don't have any knowledge in fitness. They just probably make bad nutritional choices and like the beer.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I don't think perceived appearance constitutes an overweight trainer nor does an overweight trainer equate to lack of knowledge in fitness. I remember being a bit "bigger" than I am now and was asked by the YMCA, numerous trainers/participants to run a class there. I was still under 25% BF which is pretty healthy.

If people see how hard you work, your ability to keep up, teach and of course in a room full of folks who have the desire to be fit, your appearance really doesn't really matter. Only pretentious, snobby folks want their trainers to be ripped.. when you go to a class or train with a person, you are there to be active, not critique what's going on in someone elses kitchen IMO
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Great thread. I'm going to give my honest opinion. At the gym I work out at, which is a well known Canadian chain, I see at least 4 -6 personal trainers on a weekly basis who are overweight. Getting a personal trainer isn't cheap. And if I'm going to pay good money to have someone coach me along, they'd better damn well be in good shape and practice what they preach. That's not to say that someone who is overweight can't be healthy. All I'm saying it, they are noticably overweight to the point where I've seen them stop on the flight of stairs to catch a breath. That doesn't make me want to book a session with them and I think they should set the correct example for their line of work. Every time I'm there, which is 4 days a week, I see the staff walking and eating bags of chips, nachos, pastas at the front desk. It's just discouraging. These people are supposed to be setting an example for fitness.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member

I totally agree with you.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    I had a trainer who had excess weight in her gluteus maximus area. I wouldn't have cared but she was unprofessional, demeaning, and delusional (she told me she was underweight and had an hourglass body shape, where as she clearly was an over weight pear shape). Her personality is what really drove me away, not her body type. I think most people want a trainer who looks like they are excelling in their field. Now I have a almost scrawny trainer who is amazing. And another one who fits the stereotype but hes really nice and is good at pushing me =) yeah i have two trainers, I like getting nicely yelled at to go harder =)
  • It's just as simple as this . Who in their right mind wants a trainer who's out of shape !!!! Your objective is to look good, feel good & be healthier. if your trainer looks like crap:angry::angry: that is no way to motivate you at all????????
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My opinion has always been that appearance means nothing when I comes to trainers. My mom had one trainer that had the typical "male fitness model" physique and he told her the only way she could lose the fats was to do cardio. Obviously, he wasn't very knowledgeable. People like myself, who are overweight but have researched nutrition and fitness for two years still can know more that people who are just starting out or naturally look slim.

In my experience, someone can be a genius on a topic but not want that for themselves. Maybe there are great, knowledgeable trainers who are not fit looking but don't have a goal of that for themselves. Those who can't do teach!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    A personal trainer should be advertising their work with their own body. It's free promotion! As someone else said, I wouldn't see a hairdresser whose hair I didn't love, either (i know they're not cutting their own hair, but it's certainly a good indication of what they like) and I wouldn't have my makeup done by someone without beautiful makeup on. And a trainer should show you with their body what their results are. They are a walking advertisement for their own skills. I want to go to a trainer who looks like I want to look.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Great thread. I'm going to give my honest opinion. At the gym I work out at, which is a well known Canadian chain, I see at least 4 -6 personal trainers on a weekly basis who are overweight. Getting a personal trainer isn't cheap. And if I'm going to pay good money to have someone coach me along, they'd better damn well be in good shape and practice what they preach. That's not to say that someone who is overweight can't be healthy. All I'm saying it, they are noticably overweight to the point where I've seen them stop on the flight of stairs to catch a breath. That doesn't make me want to book a session with them and I think they should set the correct example for their line of work. Every time I'm there, which is 4 days a week, I see the staff walking and eating bags of chips, nachos, pastas at the front desk. It's just discouraging. These people are supposed to be setting an example for fitness.

That's horrible... the bad eating that is. Totally agree with your statement
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    All the PT's that I know are in good shape...most of them very good shape.

As far as coaches go, especially on the professional sports level, they are not their to lead by example in the fitness area. They are there to cooardinate and guide the team to victory. For example, in the NFL ( U.S. Sport ) The head coaches have probably a dozen or more coaches under them that help out, including fitness coaches. The Fitness coaches, I would expect to be fit.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member

Food for thought....

Just because someone is overweight, it doesn't mean they aren't healthy or fit. Looks can be deceiving. Another thing, just because a personal trainer looks to be in shape, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight.

I disagree. Overweight people are not healthy or fit. Our perception of healthy has changed in the last generation.