Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/

You can say what you want about overweight trainers being able to do the job but Im like the posters above. If trainers cant look after themselves I dont want to pay for them to help me.
    Oh, and Im guessing the well known Canadian chain is Goodlife?
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I agree with just because someone is overweight, doesn't define health or knowledge. My body will be messed up for a long time after having 3 kids, even since I was 21, after my first, my stomach is a wreck and saggy skin/extra fat. It'll never be perfect. However, I am majoring in nutrition and health and wellness in college. Despite my weight, I do know how to eat healthy and exercise and do so, even pregnant with my 3rd child. By the time I graduate, my body will not be where I want it to be due to my Hashimoto's, but I would hope that it won't hurt me when finding a job. I know a lot of nutritionists at my local hospital and other places that are bigger than I am. Point is, I guess, don't be quick to judge a book by its cover.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    They might be overweight and have a vast knowledge of fitness, but the trainer who is ripped has PROVEN visually that he has that vast knowledge. The overweight trainer has no proof of his knowledge by not being able to show visible results. Sure, he could tell you stories and show you pictures of people he helped, but who's to say he's not shining you on? I want the guy that can prove he knows about fitness.

If you're going to get a job in physical fitness, all the knowledge in the world isn't going to change people's perception of you as out of shape, and in that business your body is your advertisement.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    They might be overweight and have a vast knowledge of fitness, but the trainer who is ripped has PROVEN visually that he has that vast knowledge. The overweight trainer has no proof of his knowledge by not being able to show visible results. Sure, he could tell you stories and show you pictures of people he helped, but who's to say he's not shining you on? I want the guy that can prove he knows about fitness.

If you're going to get a job in physical fitness, all the knowledge in the world isn't going to change people's perception of you as out of shape, and in that business your body is your advertisement.

Except, you've equated low bf % with being "fit". Do you mean that you need to have a low bf % to be fit? What about flexibility, mobility, speed, power, agility, endurance, strength-endurance, VO2Max, raw strength? Or any combination thereof?

You want the guy who you think looks like he can "prove he knows about fitness". Except you've demonstrated that you wouldn't really know the "proof" if you were looking at it.

The problem with this whole thread is one of aesthetics. I suspect, sadly, that performance does not feature in most people's definition of what being "fit" means nowadays. We used to call this "all show and no go".....
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Medhi (Stronglifts dude) is always going on about training with someone that's accomplished. You want to get where they are, and they are they've lived it...

...Is Medhi accomplished?
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Except, you've equated low bf % with being "fit". Do you mean that you need to have a low bf % to be fit? What about flexibility, mobility, speed, power, agility, endurance, strength-endurance, VO2Max, raw strength? Or any combination thereof?

Lol, yeah, but I just want to look GOOD! I'm going to pick the trainer who looks closest to how I want to look - low bf, toned, strong. I don't want to be able to bench press a Volkswagen, I just want to fit in my skinny jeans. It's vain, but yeah, I'm all about the show, not so much on the go.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The personal trainers that look good, are generally the clueless ones.. (obviously can't tar everyone with the same brush, but 90% of them)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If I were hiring a consultant to help me, I would be more interested in how successful their clients are than in their personal appearance.

I don't want the trainer to look fit, I want ME to look fit. The trainer can look any way they damn well please.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Never had a personal trainer but yea the motto practice what you preach.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you want a good trainer, you go to someone who is a good trainer. References and success. Little, big, warts, whatever. But that's not the scenario people are talking about here.

If two random people with no real experience and the same certification offer to train, and one is in shape while the other looks like a train wreck, my guess is 99/100 would rather work with the person who is showing success in the personal fitness arena.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I went to a gym just as a spectator to decide if I'd like to try it. I tagged along with my friend who was a member there and letting me see it on her guest pass.

I was helping her figure out some things to do since she seemed to know very little and also was receptive and asking more and more questions. Later another gym goer who happened to be in that little room approached me in the locker room as I headed into a bathroom stall shoving a flyer into my hand. She said she'd found me incredibly "motivating" and "kind" in addition to seeming knowledgeable and whatnot and wanted me to follow the instructions on the flyer to apply to work there as a trainer.

I found this a flattering but preposterous idea since I was more overweight than I am now. We continued to have an awkward conversation with me having one foot in and one out of the bathroom stall which I could only get out of the conversation by promising said lady I'd look into it. I am embarrassed to say I did not. I feel like anyone lookign for a trainer would take one look at me and discount me unless I am at a more fit level. That's just me though. Apparently people feel differently about this.

Also, I should add I have no training or certifications as any kind of trainer or anything else physical. All my advice was just one friend to another from past experience in extra-curricular things in school and etc. Also a lifelong love of fitness stuff.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Im currently training to be a PT, and working really hard to get myself ripped and amazingly fit. My feeling is that clients want to be able to trust 100% what you're saying. You are your biggest advert of what can be achieved.

Agreed

8488541.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    A lot of people look at overweight people and think they aren't healthy and that's not always the case. A lot of overweight people are healthy and not only that, but fit. Just because someone is skinny it doesn't mean they are healthy or fit. A lot of skinny people eat a lot of junk food and would rather have the junk food over healthy food or should I say healthy eating, because you can make what seems to be bad, be a healthy choice. Being skinny doesn't mean being fit. Plus, just because someone is skinny, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight. A trainer can look skinny and be 180 pounds and her clients wouldn't know that if she didn't tell them that. But, according to the Height/Weight chart (which I don't follow), she could be classified as being overweight.

My goal one day is to be a personal trainer. According to my doctor at one time and the height/weight chart, I am supposed to be 101 pounds, but I will never get that skinny. I'm aiming for an overweight goal, but I will look thin to my clients.

If the overweight personal trainer knows what they are doing, then yes, I would have workout with one.
    Welcome back. You've been missed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would never use an overweight personal trainer. If they cannot take care of their own body then why should I trust them with mine?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I would never use an overweight personal trainer. If they cannot take care of their own body then why should I trust them with mine?

Because it doesn't mean they don't have the knowledge to teach you.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My trainer is in ridiculously good shape. She blows my mind every time I see her. The other six trainers in her facility are also in great shape, albeit different shapes,they definitely apply what they teach in their facility to themselves outside of work. They each have a certain type of person they work with, and my trainer specializes in tough cases where there are limitations to be broken. She gets the older clientele, they very over weight, the injured. She is so great with all of them too and has so much dedication. I absolutely adore her. And yes I can say I would judge a trainer on their physicality because it would give me a better perspective on how seriously they take their profession. Practice what you preach. But I was intimidated by my trainer at first because I thought how can I ever be in as good of shape as her? She probably thinks I'm gross and will try to make me do things I just can't do. She turned out to be a wonderful person. Just can't judge a book by it's fat or skinny cover I guess.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

A "RIPPED" trainer shows they have DISCIPLINE and knowledge of their own body. Not to mention, I have yet to meet one who wasn't "enhanced" in one way or another.
    May they have knowledge? Possibly, but lots of the knowledge they have usually revolves around broscience.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I want a trainer who is healthy I don't think overweight has much to do with it as long as they are not obese and can keep up and are doing the same routine they instruct me to do.....a lot of things to me come in to factor when picking a trainer not just weight..do they smoke?..drink? etc etc....I don't want a "Ripped" trainer who smokes a pack a day sorry.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am a PT. I am in good shape now but have been up to 30kgs overweight. I couldn't PT when I was overweight because my standard is to never ask my clients to do something I can't and when I was overweight I wasn't able to do all the things I like my clients to do.

I think as PT"s we are selling a message of health and fitness and while overweight people can be fit, if it is excess fat around your organs it is never healthy, regardless of what people say. If muscle is giving an overweight measurement this is different.

Health is not just about cholesterol readings and blood pressure. If you are carrying too much body fat it is not good for you.

Just my two cents.

Donna.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm a bit overweight (just a 2 pack right now), so you wouldn't trust any information from me?

IDEA Fitness member