Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I chose my personal trainer because I was watching a group of girls he regularly trained and they were lifting some impressive weights and seemed to have great strength and endurance - and those were things I wanted. He also seemed like a great guy. He has a few pounds to lose and is not ripped. That doesn't bother me at all. He is the one that told me about MFP. I feel like he understands my struggles. For me it's about the connection, not how ripped the trainer is. If I were ripped, maybe I would feel differently.

As for exercise classes, the best kickboxing and weight training class instructor at my gym is also the heaviest. She is motivating and her classes are so much fun. Her classes definitely pull the biggest numbers. Again, it's about what she has to offer, not how well she maintains her weight.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I switched gyms in January and signed up for a personal training package. The trainer they assigned me was about 30 lb overweight. I was kind of shocked, but decided to give him a chance. The thing that made me get rid of him wasn't his weight.....it was his inability to listen to me and design a program based on my goals. I told him at our first meeting that I wanted to lift heavy and learn compound movements (deadlifts, squats, etc). EVERY session he would hand me these 5 lb weights and have me to 4 sets of 50 reps. I would remind him of my goals and he'd say "yeah, yeah, we'll work on that next time...." But it never happened. I'm sure he just put me on the "typical 47 year old plan" and never really cared what my goals were. I see him working with older women doing the same pink dumbbell, 50 rep stuff he had me doing. I realize I'm not his typical 47 year old client, but he obviously wasn't listenaing to me. I think part of his problem was that English was his second language.

All that to say..........I would have stuck with him if we actually were working towards my goals. His weight and physical condition weren't really a factor in my getting rid of him. His inability to listen to his client was.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't have a personal trainers but all the ones I have seen on websites/gym advertisments always look really fit and in shape, so this made me wonder if there are any PTs out there that aren't fit and well proportioned. And would any of you use a PT that was obviously overweight/obese? And if not why not?

Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally.

If it is acceptable for coaches to be overweight is it ok for PTs to be overweight?

Food for thought....

Just because someone is overweight, it doesn't mean they aren't healthy or fit. Looks can be deceiving. Another thing, just because a personal trainer looks to be in shape, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight.

I disagree. Overweight people are not healthy or fit. Our perception of healthy has changed in the last generation.

On US insurance tables, body builders fall in "overweight" quite often. So, it sort of depends on your definition. (not casting stones here, just noting.)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If I'm booking a personal trainer, ideally I would like somebody who is both knowledgeable and practices what he/she preaches. If somebody can't be arsed to take care of his own body, then I have some doubt about trusting him/her with mine. It's not a deal breaker to me, but if there are two trainers with similar level of knowledge I would go with the fitter one.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree. PT should look like what they are trying to sell. That is the same as a proactiv distributor trying to tell me how awesome the product is with bad acne.. May sound mean but I think in this country we have given a free pass to overweight/obese. And have allowed people's lack of motivation to spill over into every area of our lives. Who in their right mind would hire an overweight/obese trainer. And im not talking a little overweight. I mean 30 pounds or more. come on!! But with all the PC we can no longer call fat fat! All of us here have a cross to bear as far as this weight loss journey. If I'm trying my best to be the best me that I can be. Why in the heck would I ask someone who obviously isn't as concerned with themselves to help me? IMO
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My gym has personal trainers of all shapes and sizes. The more fit and ripped ones always seem to be with the fit and ripped looking clients. I mentioned military and was paired up with a fit and ripped one who was very familiar with military pt standards and what is expected of me. First time I almost puked at a gym. It was awesome.

Now that being said, my personal preference would not be for these out of shape looking ones. As a personal trainer I expect you to have higher standards when it comes to fitness and diet. You should be very encouraging and have a positive attitude no matter how poorly I'm doing. If I'm looking to get my fitness to the next level I want somebody who looks like they're already there, not somebody who just read about it. I don't care if it's a male or female, as long as I feel they're pushing me where I need to go. But how can somebody who's never done it themselves tell you what you need? They just know theory, not real world. Theory is great, but I'm paying good money and want somebody who studied theory and put it to work for them.

I was interested in becoming a personal trainer as a part time job. I believe it's something I'll enjoy, plus the studies will help me maximize my potential too. However I still need to lose a bit more bodyfat before I think I will. I just know how these people are judged. It's not that the overweight ones are bad people, it's just the fit ones look that much more appealing. Put two side by side, one is ripped and has 7% bodyfat, the other is obese with 32% bodyfat. What would you pick not knowing anything about them?
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I don't have a personal trainers but all the ones I have seen on websites/gym advertisments always look really fit and in shape, so this made me wonder if there are any PTs out there that aren't fit and well proportioned. And would any of you use a PT that was obviously overweight/obese? And if not why not?

Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally.

If it is acceptable for coaches to be overweight is it ok for PTs to be overweight?

Food for thought....

Just because someone is overweight, it doesn't mean they aren't healthy or fit. Looks can be deceiving. Another thing, just because a personal trainer looks to be in shape, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight.

I disagree. Overweight people are not healthy or fit. Our perception of healthy has changed in the last generation.

On US insurance tables, body builders fall in "overweight" quite often. So, it sort of depends on your definition. (not casting stones here, just noting.)

Of course I don't mean that. I mean the pudgy in the middle overweight. The I haven't seen my stuff in years overweight. LOL Not the lean mean fighting machines.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Food for thought....

Define overweight though... someone you think is "overweight" could just have extra skin.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I don't think perceived appearance constitutes an overweight trainer nor does an overweight trainer equate to lack of knowledge in fitness. I remember being a bit "bigger" than I am now and was asked by the YMCA, numerous trainers/participants to run a class there. I was still under 25% BF which is pretty healthy.

If people see how hard you work, your ability to keep up, teach and of course in a room full of folks who have the desire to be fit, your appearance really doesn't really matter. Only pretentious, snobby folks want their trainers to be ripped.. when you go to a class or train with a person, you are there to be active, not critique what's going on in someone elses kitchen IMO

I don't find it snobby or pretentious at all. If I am going to pay someone to push me past my personal limits and leave me sore and in pain on a regular basis, then I have to have faith they a) know what they are talking about and B) practice what they preach. Not to mention that I at least find it motivating to see what I am working towards.

A trainer's own body is their biggest advertisement. If they can't get themselves to where I want to be, then how am I supposed to trust them to get me there?
  • ChgingMe
    Options

Food for thought....

Define overweight though... someone you think is "overweight" could just have extra skin.

We all know the difference. Go to the mall on a Saturday afternoon and look at our teens. That isn't extra skin. I know some who have had WLS surgery. Im aware of that. What I mean is the typical overweight person. Its obvious. I will never agree they are healthy or fit is all I'm saying. Not based on charts or BMI but based on the fact they are busting out of their clothes overweight. With a LOT of extra tum.. Not a little pooch that the skinny girls think make them look fat. LOL We all know what is overweight when we see it. usually in the mirror LMBO
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Huh. I just calculated it and my trainer is obese, according to the BMI chart. He is also a giant mountain of muscle, so yeah. I do see a trainer who is "technically" overweight, but I probably wouldn't have hired him if that was fat and not lean mass. On the other hand, my mom had a tennis pro who was 350 lbs, and he was both a good instructor and a good player, so I think it probably depends on your goals and their skill.

There was an article on an overweight aerobics instructor - here: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-02-27/lifestyle/35445428_1_black-women-white-women-african-american-women

It's pretty interesting. If I had a dollar for every time someone on here posts "but I'm too fat to go to the gym!" I could pay my own gym fees for life. If seeing someone who looks more like you makes you feel more comfortable and actually get in there to do the workouts, then that's an overall net positive.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Food for thought....

Oh please!!!!!
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I wonder if judging a trainer based on their body might be a little like judging a barber based on their hair.

Maybe you should look at their clients instead.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/

Let's play a logic game.
    You live in an isolated town that has two dentists. You are unable to go to the next town in order to access their dentists.
    Dentist A has extremely straight, and exceptionally clean and strong teeth.
    Dentist B has crooked, and otherwise marginally better than average looking teeth.

Which one do you go to?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I wonder if judging a trainer based on their body might be a little like judging a barber based on their hair.

Maybe you should look at their clients instead.

That would be logical.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Put two side by side, one is ripped and has 7% bodyfat, the other is obese with 32% bodyfat. What would you pick not knowing anything about them?

I would pick neither, as neither would appear functional to me.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This was a concern for me when I decided to become a certified trainer, as I started at well over 400lbs I may never look like the typical "trainer" who has been fit their whole life. What I do offer is I look way better than I did and I am always going further, I can offer a "I know what your going through" mindset that is lost in many trainers. I can tell someone all the correct things to do, but honestly weight gain is never about not knowing, but finding that breakthrough which is usually a mental block

If they are obese I think I would steer clear, the idea is for someone to teach you to improve your life and I for one would want someone who walks the walk. Being Obese is easy, not so easy going the other way.

That being said I have heard/been involved with other trainers who look super fit but dish out some of the worst advice I have heard. I had a fellow "trainer" tell someone to go 3 days without eating :\ (found out later they weren't actually certified by any reputable organization, just a gym)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a PT who was overweight or obese. They don't need to be overly muscular, but they do need to be fit and lean.

The only one I give a pass to is one of my yoga instructors, she's still got a few pounds of baby weight to lose, but her baby is only six weeks old, so I can certainly understand the 10 extra pounds at this point in the game. A year from now--different story.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Food for thought....

Seriously, a good coach can take an athlete to the next level, they don't have to be the athlete themselves. A lot of top coaches for olympic athletes are pot-bellied old men. What of it?

Seems pretty shallow to me - if you want to be good, you need someone with knowledge rather than a nice pair of pecs.

This is not to say that a top flight coach can't also be in low bf % shape (or wasn't previously in shape in an earlier incarnation of their career) - just that it's not a requirement for being a good coach.

Of course I'm talking about real coaching here, not the guy who shows you how to use the machines on your first ever visit to a gym and then goes and chats up the girl in reception.......
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    In my experience, a personal trainer who is in excellent shape does not mean in the least that they are someone I would benefit from working with.

When I was pregnant I had a nurse who saw me for gestational diabetes. The first thing she said to me was that she was obese with type two diabetes. After I got past that, I found that she was very helpfu. The day my baby was born she visited me to tell me very sternly that if I don't keep my weight down I'll have type two diabetes before I turn 40. She made a difference; she gave me a good reason to take care of myself.