Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is a pet peeve of mine to see a personal trainer who is not fit. At the gym where I attend there are a couple and I don't have as much respect considering they're not practicing what they're preaching themselves. On the other hand a couple of the trainers also train at the gym and when I see them I greet them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers come in all shapes and sizes. They're all in good shape, because it's their job...but that doesn't mean they all have the same kind of physique. At my gym they all have different specialties and different ways of training...some of the guys are skinny and really into cycling/mountain biking/climbing, etc...that's also the kind of stuff their training revolves around. Other guys have training regiments that focus on explosiveness and power...they tend to be skinny too and have incredible vertical leaps and what not...while others are most definitely body builder types and there is one power lifting trainer at my gym who definitely has that kind of physique with the round belly...be he can squat and dead lift like no other and is in perfect health.

I think it's different when you're talking about a coach. A coach's job really isn't to get anyone in shape...a sports team is going to have professional trainers that do that..a coach is basically a manager of whatever the game is and the people playing that game...they don't really need to be in shape for that...it's more about strategy, etc.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

This!

Just like if you are a hair dresser and your hair looks like crap, you aren't going to touch mine.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If I hire a trainer I want someone who not only knows what he/she is doing but also implements that in his/her own lifestyle. I know knowledge and physique are two different things but I want to the person to have the right mindset for me, otherwise I will, with some exceptions, not find them helpful. That said, I do not currently use a trainer as I don't need the motivation and I'm not quite ready to go the direction where I will need to find one.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    djstaff2.jpg
    This is Dan John. I would crawl over a few dead bodies to be coached personally by him. Don't be so hung up on looks.

Mark-Rippetoe2.jpg
    This is Mark Rippetoe. You would be a fool not to heed his advice when it comes to the mechanics of lifting.

Looks =/= knowledge

Both these guys are former (not really former in the case of Dan John, he's still competing in Discus and Highland Games) athletes who have become extremely successful in their respective fields. Are they on the cover of Mens Health? No. Does that vacant-eyed cover model that occupies the cover have anything to offer when weighed against these men? No.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/

Let's play a logic game.
    You live in an isolated town that has two dentists. You are unable to go to the next town in order to access their dentists.
    Dentist A has extremely straight, and exceptionally clean and strong teeth.
    Dentist B has crooked, and otherwise marginally better than average looking teeth.

Which one do you go to?

I'll play this game. I would go to the dentist that has better reviews. If dentist A has nice teeth but is a jerk, treats patients poorly and does crappy work, then I wouldn't waste my money.

If dentist B has bad teeth but is caring, helpful and takes care of his patients and does good quality work, then I want to go to him.

Can't judge a book by the cover..
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think it's different when you're talking about a coach. A coach's job really isn't to get anyone in shape...a sports team is going to have professional trainers that do that..a coach is basically a manager of whatever the game is and the people playing that game...they don't really need to be in shape for that...it's more about strategy, etc.

I meant coach as in "strength and conditioning" coach, "performance" coach. Rather than the manager connotation of the word....
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    At my fittest point I was considered overweight. I was probably 85% muscle, played three varsity sports (high school), and could run a mile in >7 minutes. I had abs and guns. But according to that little weight/height ratio chart, I was overweight. I was even trying to lose weight then.

So yeah. Looks can be deceiving. And to think I thought I was fat back then. Sigh.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    do you see a dentist with bad teeth?
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/
    Yea I agree^ Even though I know i SHOULDNT. But it's the first thing that comes to mind.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Id just want someone from a similar background. What i mean is I dont what Johnny great shape has to tell me about the struggles of weight loss when he has been naturally built his whole life. I want advice from someone who has lost a ton of weight, no matter what shape they are currently in.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So to everyone saying that they wouldn't be cause that means they aren't healthy I disagree. I would see them IF they were healthy, and that doesn't mean they aren't over weight. Being formerly in the military I knew plenty of guys who were considered overweight based on age/height/weight ratios, and many of them were perfectly healthy once it got down too it. One was about my age and he did a lot of lifting, so because of his muscle mass he never hit teh proper weight for his height and age. There was nothing unhealthy about him (except maybe the damn ego of his) and his body fat percentage was fine. Unless all of you are telling me you're going to go up to someone who you view as over weight and ask if you can get their body mass index I really think you should stop being so judgemental towards them. I would take a persnoal trainer who was HEALTHY I dont' care if they look over weight...
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Id just want someone from a similar background. What i mean is I dont what Johnny great shape has to tell me about the struggles of weight loss when he has been naturally built his whole life. I want advice from someone who has lost a ton of weight, no matter what shape they are currently in.

This right here is why I became a trainer, when I started every fit person I had found had no idea what struggles you go through. You know, like little things, fitting into a booth at a restaurant,. movie theater seats, amusement park rides.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    At my fittest point I was considered overweight. I was probably 85% muscle, played three varsity sports (high school), and could run a mile in >7 minutes. I had abs and guns. But according to that little weight/height ratio chart, I was overweight. I was even trying to lose weight then.

So yeah. Looks can be deceiving. And to think I thought I was fat back then. Sigh.

This is not what is implied by overweight. many of us are considered overweight or obese by numbers on a chart. No one sees that or knows that unless you tell them. What I mean and Im guessing many here do as well are the people who are overweight/obese and its written all over them by the way they look. Potbellied men and women who are about 30plus overweight..
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So to everyone saying that they wouldn't be cause that means they aren't healthy I disagree. I would see them IF they were healthy, and that doesn't mean they aren't over weight. Being formerly in the military I knew plenty of guys who were considered overweight based on age/height/weight ratios, and many of them were perfectly healthy once it got down too it. One was about my age and he did a lot of lifting, so because of his muscle mass he never hit teh proper weight for his height and age. There was nothing unhealthy about him (except maybe the damn ego of his) and his body fat percentage was fine. Unless all of you are telling me you're going to go up to someone who you view as over weight and ask if you can get their body mass index I really think you should stop being so judgemental towards them. I would take a persnoal trainer who was HEALTHY I dont' care if they look over weight...

Ok again let me add. BMI of a fitness guru is NOT overweight. The chart says it is. But no one is going to be foolish enough to say Vin Diesel is overweight. NO! But Susie Q who is 30 plus overweight and is huffing and puffing as she shows me how to lift IS overweight and unfit and I don't want her training me. Not judgemental. But I need someone who is gonna take me to where I want to be. I look at them and I want what they have. If I don't then they don't need to be training me. If I want someone who is fat like me that I can relate to, I'll work out for free with a fat friend. I'm not paying for it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that a trainer should try to be a good example. I've met trainers who know quite a bit and were out of shape, so if we're speaking of knowledge, then it doesn't matter about their physique.
    But it does speak volumes if a trainer asks you to do a burpee, then you ask them to show an example (say they aren't physicially hampered with an injury) and they can't do it themselves. Now it doesn't mean they are a bad trainer, but if they harp about how "good" it is of an exercise, then why can't they do it themselves? Because it's not good enough for them?
    It's just more valid to the consumer if the trainer looks like they practice what they preach. And to me, that's what's important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Seriously, a good coach can take an athlete to the next level, they don't have to be the athlete themselves. A lot of top coaches for olympic athletes are pot-bellied old men. What of it?

Like that one dude, Mark Rippetoe. Who would want to listen to someone who doesn't look lean and trim. What could he know anyway?

(Sarcasm, if not obvious.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Let's play a logic game.
    You live in an isolated town that has two dentists. You are unable to go to the next town in order to access their dentists.
    Dentist A has extremely straight, and exceptionally clean and strong teeth.
    Dentist B has crooked, and otherwise marginally better than average looking teeth.

Which one do you go to?

I'll play this game. I would go to the dentist that has better reviews. If dentist A has nice teeth but is a jerk, treats patients poorly and does crappy work, then I wouldn't waste my money.

If dentist B has bad teeth but is caring, helpful and takes care of his patients and does good quality work, then I want to go to him.

Can't judge a book by the cover..

Understood. I'll give you the answer.

Dentist B.

Reason: A dentist cannot perform dental work on himself. So, he must go to his competitor for care. The quality of his work will be reflected in his competitor's mouth. Therefore, within this structure as stated above (only two options, etc.) the better choice is the one with the poor looking teeth, as his work is obviously better than his competitor's.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Of all the trainers in my gym, the one I'd choose if I was going to hire one is a female who is about 5'1. Why? She knows her ****. I personally see her doing heavy compound lifting and showing clients how to do so and she's in great shape. No one else jumps out at me in terms of fitness like her.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    there was a gym i used to workout at and this employee was huge i mean like fat hanging over the pants double chin and huge arms and legs and she was the lifegaurd at the pool there.......you could tell it exhausted her to walk from one side of the pool to the other i could only imagine how exhausting it would be for her to save somebody