Milk

Options
1235»

Replies

• fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking goats milk, from the goat, which I milked...with a kid being what was used to produce more milk. :flowerforyou: She got stolen though, so we had to go back to drinking cows milk.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    On reflection I totally agree, save all the milk for the baby cows, it makes them taste so juicy!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Like I said, I don't currently have the time or resources for that. I have plenty of recipes for yogurt, but they all require that I own a yogurt maker or a thermos, neither of which I own and neither of which I can afford. I mean, I could buy one or the other, but having food now is slightly more important, to me.

How about an oven or a slow cooker or a heating pad?? I've been making yogurt for a few years now and have never used a thermos or a yogurt maker. I have filled jars with the yogurt milk and put into a preheated oven with the oven light on (oven turned off after it's warmed up) let sit overnight and ta da! Done! But then I moved and there was no oven light so I started putting it in a crock pot. Just take the crock pot thing out and wrap in a towel to keep warm. Let sit overnight and it's done in the morning. I have found recipes where you can put crock pot on low for so many hours and that works too but I've never tried it. This last time I made yogurt I had to wrap it in a heated blanket on high since the house is so cold here now that a towel wasn't keeping it warm enough but with the heated blanket it worked like a charm. :)

All you need is ANYTHING that can keep it warm enough (but not too warm) for long enough. I've heard of people putting the yogurt milk into jars and into a cooler with a heating pad before.

No slow cooker, cooler, or heating pad, and I share a kitchen with 6 people I barely know who wouldn't appreciate me leaving stuff in the oven overnight. Someday, sure, I'll have the resources to make my own, but, for now, I'm just fine with the yogurt I eat.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    On reflection I totally agree, save all the milk for the baby cows, it makes them taste so juicy!

That's so wrong, yet I laughed.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I drink organic whole milk. It helps me get the fat I need in my diet (I have my reasons) and it tastes amazing! I have one serving every morning.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    How can anyone say they dont need milk!?! Hello late night bowl of cereal, Greek yogurt after a workout, frozen yogurt as a treat! Maybe it isn't needed but I could single handedly support the milk industry. I even like a glass of chocolate milk after a workout if i dont have a protein shake.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    How can anyone say they dont need milk!?!

Uh, because we don't? Plus, I can't really drink it without feeling ill. It's great if you like it, but not everyone does.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Milk is healthy? Did you get this information from the national "we sell milk, and we say its healthy" council?
    cow's milk is for calves, drink water.
    I don't drink any of those-- I just don't see the need for milk of any kind.

mind-blown.jpg
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to drink whole milk. It is higher in calories and fat, and actually has slightly less calcium than skim milk. Let’s take a look at the nutrition facts per 1 cup serving.

Whole Milk
    150 calories
    8g fat
    290 mg calcium

Skim Milk
    90 calories
    .5g fat
    316 mg calcium

Both whole milk and skim milk are also excellent sources of protein, phosphorous and potassium.
    Switching out whole milk for skim milk will save you a lot of calories and fat, which will help you lose weight.

Really? People just dont understand that you NEED a certain amount of fat in your diet for your body to be healthy. I just recently switched to getting everything I can with whole milk because I've been eating too little fat in my diet! Also, lowering calories isn't always the answer, I had to up my calories to lose weight when I hit a plateau. For the everyday situation, MAYBE skim is better for you. It really just depends on the fats (which aren't BAD for you to get a healthy amount).
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Milk and dairy in general makes me hold water. Really get noticable when I get down to lower body fat levels (6-8%). Sucks for me, because it's both healthy and tasty.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For the everyday situation, MAYBE skim is better for you. It really just depends on the fats (which aren't BAD for you to get a healthy amount).

Not all fat is created equal. There is conflicting scientific evidence as to whether the fat contained in milk is indeed good for you, which means that there are studies showing it as harmful (as well as those showing as not). But the overwhelming consensus of the medical community is that dairy fat should be limited. Just check any reputable medical site.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Like I said, I don't currently have the time or resources for that. I have plenty of recipes for yogurt, but they all require that I own a yogurt maker or a thermos, neither of which I own and neither of which I can afford. I mean, I could buy one or the other, but having food now is slightly more important, to me.

How about an oven or a slow cooker or a heating pad?? I've been making yogurt for a few years now and have never used a thermos or a yogurt maker. I have filled jars with the yogurt milk and put into a preheated oven with the oven light on (oven turned off after it's warmed up) let sit overnight and ta da! Done! But then I moved and there was no oven light so I started putting it in a crock pot. Just take the crock pot thing out and wrap in a towel to keep warm. Let sit overnight and it's done in the morning. I have found recipes where you can put crock pot on low for so many hours and that works too but I've never tried it. This last time I made yogurt I had to wrap it in a heated blanket on high since the house is so cold here now that a towel wasn't keeping it warm enough but with the heated blanket it worked like a charm. :)

All you need is ANYTHING that can keep it warm enough (but not too warm) for long enough. I've heard of people putting the yogurt milk into jars and into a cooler with a heating pad before.

Wait, what? You don't need to do all that. The woman who taught me in India simply heated some milk to a simmer, took it off the heat, and stirred in a spoonful or two of yogurt from the previous batch. It started to thicken up right away. Her yogurt was delicious and she's been doing this for her entire life.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Fat helps in the absorption of calcium. So there's definitely some debate that skim milk is less healthy in that respect. But 2% would be fine for those purposes, no need to have all the fat in whole milk if it doesn't fit into your calories and macros easily.

And regular skim milk should be just plain milk with the fat removed (though most here in the US will have vitamin D added). Some other milks, like lactose free milk, do have other added ingredients.

It's pretty common for me to have several varieties of milk in my refrigerator so that I can use which one fits my needs of the moment best. (Yes, I can easily go through a 1/2 gallon of skim milk and a 1/2 gallon of 2% before either of them go bad.)

Hope you figure out what works best for your needs.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Wait, what? You don't need to do all that. The woman who taught me in India simply heated some milk to a simmer, took it off the heat, and stirred in a spoonful or two of yogurt from the previous batch. It started to thicken up right away. Her yogurt was delicious and she's been doing this for her entire life.

Hmm, not sure how that works because it's the incubating for a certain amount of time which causes the milk to ferment and create yogurt. That's why keeping it at a consistent heat is so important and having the milk the right temperature because if it's too hot or too cold it can kill the bacteria culture that you need to create yogurt. I've never had it thicken immediately...

I've also never seen any recipes/instructions that you don't need need to keep it warm for extended time and I've looked at lots of different instructions. (probably close to 20 different ones)
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

Hmm, not sure how that works because it's the incubating for a certain amount of time which causes the milk to ferment and create yogurt. That's why keeping it at a consistent heat is so important and having the milk the right temperature because if it's too hot or too cold it can kill the bacteria culture that you need to create yogurt. I've never had it thicken immediately...

I've also never seen any recipes/instructions that you don't need need to keep it warm for extended time and I've looked at lots of different instructions. (probably close to 20 different ones)

That's how I've always understood it. It needs to ferment.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How can anyone say they dont need milk!?! Hello late night bowl of cereal, Greek yogurt after a workout, frozen yogurt as a treat! Maybe it isn't needed but I could single handedly support the milk industry. I even like a glass of chocolate milk after a workout if i dont have a protein shake.

It sounds like you want milk, which is different than needing it.