Repost: Because I got ZERO response the last time.

Options

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seriously: exactly what exercises are you doing (and for how long) that you think you're burning nearly 2,000 calories???

(I know we're different sizes, but personally I would have to run 20 miles to burn that many calories)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Judging by yesterday, you're exercising three hours a day? If you don't want to eat that much, don't burn that much! Unless you're an athlete in training, you don't need to exercise for 3 hours a day. It's overkill.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Judging by yesterday, you're exercising three hours a day? If you don't want to eat that much, don't burn that much! Unless you're an athlete in training, you don't need to exercise for 3 hours a day. It's overkill.
    Bingo!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Just a general suggestion, skip the smoothies and have some real fruit instead.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This makes a lot more sense, I'm guessing that you're doing about 90 minutes of exercise and it looks like every other day. I don't think that's excessive. Your base is set for 1500, which appears reasonable. If you want, take a look at my diary (it's open), I have days where I eat lower and days where I get well over 2000 calories. I'm a hungry hungry hippo, I work my body hard and constantly need fuel for the fire!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Question, how come when I do my weight loss goals it drops my calorie intake to 1200 calories? Can anyone explain this to me? Of course, if I exercise, the intake increases, but what is that all about? I really would like to lose at least 1lb a week. And according to MFP that means eating 1200 calories. Should I ignore that and eat my 1600 calories?? So confusing.

its just simple math. if you burn the same as you take in, you will maintain. That's why, to lose weight, MFP takes you from the 1600 to the 1200 cals goal.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yeah there's no need for 3+ hours of exercise. You can cut down on that :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

She's just over 230 pounds, if she's pushing it she can get a huge burn in 90 - 120 minutes, so I was estimating her at 90 minutes just based on her weight.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    Ok Diary is now public...dont know why i didnt think of that before. Yesterday I did a weight lifting class, elliptical and zumba in the morning and in the afternoon I did elliptical and weight lifting. I have my activity set for sedentary since i have a desk job that requires no physical activity. Its like this thing wants me to eat all the calories I burn plus my daily requirement...thats a lot!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't! ... only eat if your hungry.... this is exactly why I truly believe that the people on here just need to stop preaching the "eat your exercise calories" - Biggest people need to eat LESS not more! .. If your closer to your goal and your hungry eat some fine... but if your not hungry and you have a lot to lose, don't eat them.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Ok Diary is now public...dont know why i didnt think of that before. Yesterday I did a weight lifting class, elliptical and zumba in the morning and in the afternoon I did elliptical and weight lifting. I have my activity set for sedentary since i have a desk job that requires no physical activity. Its like this thing wants me to eat all the calories I burn plus my daily requirement...thats a lot!
    You really shouldn't be doing weight lifting twice in the same day - you're not going to give your muscles any time to recover. If you're doing total body lifting workouts, you shouldn't even be lifting two days in a row.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Yes, it does. That is the point.

But I agree that you are probably working out too much. If you really want to exercise so much, you need to eat all of those calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

I love lifting, but you have to give yourself time to repair. A lifting class (ala body pump) is an all over weight lifting workout, if you lift on a tuesday you shouldn't lift again until thrusday. I agree, tacking the extra weights and elliptical time may be overkill.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    this reminds me of a guy that accidently had his profile set to GAIN 2lbs a week. do you have that problem?

are you even reading these posts?

Trust I'm reading them,, my phone went out on me so I had to get home to use my computer. No my activity level is set at sedentary and its to lose 1.5 lbs a week (though now I will be setting it at 2 lbs)
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    this reminds me of a guy that accidently had his profile set to GAIN 2lbs a week. do you have that problem?

Trust I'm reading them,, my phone went out on me so I had to get home to use my computer. No my activity level is set at sedentary and its to lose 1.5 lbs a week (though now I will be setting it at 2 lbs)

I don't believe you are actually reading any of these.

You should not be setting your net calories even lower, especially if you're still planning on exercising that much and not eating enough.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options

You should not be setting your net calories even lower, especially if you're still planning on exercising that much and not eating enough.

If you dont believe Im reading then you can feel free to stop posting replies
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

If you dont believe Im reading then you can feel free to stop posting replies

Ok. Good luck.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    I normally work out two hours a day, 6 days a week...a zumba class (or 60 min on the elliptical) and a body pump (over all weight lifting) class . I have 105 lbs to lose and dont want to lose such a large amount of weight and not have toned muscles. Im not working out to the point of where my body is sore but i do like to feel a burn. Zumba alone burns a lot of calories and as well as the elliptical, the weight lifting not so much (well accoring to this website). Thanks everyone for your tips. No more two a day workouts! Though i must ask is it really overkill when you are considered morbidly obese? (which, at 235 lbs I am)
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You don't need that much. Eat your bmr or approx. 1800 cals a day. Have a weekly spike day of 3500 and you will lose.

Ooh. I like that advice!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd 2 hrs a day is overkill yes... Esp if you are doing lifting, zumba and elliptical everyday... thats a bit insane. Pick one a day and you'll be better of in my opinion.

As far as your food diary goes, choose more calorie dense foods... like nuts, lean meats, etc. That will help fill out some of the calories.. also, watch the processed food. It tends to have a lot of sodium and not much of anything else.