Enough with the OATMEAL already!

Options

Replies

• cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut oats are MUCH better than instant oatmeal

agreed, I make a bit extra and keep it in the fridge to reheat later since they do take a while longer to cook.
    great texture and flavor.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about...

Muffins
    Fruit Stuffed Crepes
    Protein Pancakes
    Toast or English Muffin topped with honey, jam, almond butter, or cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt with fruit + drizzled with a tablespoon of warm nutella
    Breakfast soups (look online for recipes)
    Breakfast quesadilla or wrap
    Oatbran, musili, brown rice, or quinoa as an oatmeal replacement.
    Baked fruit
    homemade granola bars
    protein coffee cake
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How about Quinoa cooked up sort of like Oatmeal or other hot cereals?
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast.
    Seriously.

DON'T skip breakfast! The biggest reason people don't lose is because they skip meals! And breakfast is the most important. My dietitian would SCREAM if she saw me skip the morning meal...

I like some of the suggestions there... thank goodness I'm not tired of oatmeal yet :-) Good luck!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make my Cream of Wheat with Chicken Broth instead of water. It adds flavor, makes them more creamy and adds a little protein. But then I do not add sweet to it. Maybe some Chipolte Tabasco or Sriracha. I don't eat this for breakfast. I'm at the gym a 5am and have a protein shake before and one post workout with organic rolled oats. Sometimes on cardio days I will have the Cream of Wheat.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a mug of hot milk would warm you up and leave you free to have other parts of your breakfast cold?

Otherwise: baked or stewed apple or pear, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, baked or stir-fried mushrooms, kedgeree, rice porridge, cheese on toast, grilled banana on toast, warm rice pudding (just be careful with how much sugar you use in the recipe).
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast.
    Seriously.
    I agree - If you can't open your palate up to more foods, why bother?

One option - Malt-O-Meal
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    no egg, does that include egg substitue? I eat that, turkey bacon, 90 calorie english muffin, & weight watchers cheese (breakfast sandwich) or 110 calorie thin bagel w/ weight watchers cream cheese.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Go for some yummy turkey bacon, I only eat Oscar Meyer, and some Multigran waffles with sugar free syrup.:wink:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hot grape nuts (with a cup of sugar :tongue: )

I've seen this on tv...is it any good? Do they still get all stuck in your teeth?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Skip breakfast.
    Seriously.

DON'T skip breakfast! The biggest reason people don't lose is because they skip meals! And breakfast is the most important. My dietitian would SCREAM if she saw me skip the morning meal...

I like some of the suggestions there... thank goodness I'm not tired of oatmeal yet :-) Good luck!

This is completely WRONG.

The biggest reason people don't lose weight is because they eat too many calories. Breakfast does not boost your metabolism and meal timing is irrelevant.

I skip breakfast every single day.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater, so here are the things that I have for breakfast typically:

Whole Wheat Pancakes (I can send you the recipe if you want, just message me)

Oatmeal Waffles--yummy & don't taste like oatmeal (again I can send you the recipe)

Mrs. Bairds Grillin Thin 100 calorie roll toasted in the toaster, egg patty from the freezer to the microwave, then add a slice of cheese (when I have leftover turkey bacon, I add 2 strips of it broken in half on there)....I don't really like eggs, but this is tasty
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    LOL - thanks for all the ideas, folks!

The irony of this is that I am really not a picky eater at all. There are plenty of foods I'll eat if they're served (grits, peanut butter). They're not my favorites, but I won't freak out and refuse to eat if that's what is on the table. There's a difference between being picky and having foods you prefer over other foods. I'm allergic to soy, so that causes some issues with lots of things like tofu, pre-packaged bars, Vita-tops, etc. The only things I absolutely refuse to eat any time of day are straight-up eggs (fried, scrambled, poached, hard-boiled) and salmon. Everything else, I'm completely open to eating!

I'd also prefer hot breakfast during the colder months.

I don't know how people come to the conclusion that I "don't seem to like food very much". LOL

As far as traditional/typical breakfast foods... I love pancakes, waffles, biscuits, ham, cheese, bacon, sausage, muffins, scones, breads, nutella, syrup, butter, jelly, granola, donuts, most cold cereals, bagels, etc, etc, etc. There isn't much I *don't* like!

Honestly, I would just like to find a breakfast option in the 200-300 calorie range that is somewhat nutritious. I could happily eat my homemade Belgian waffles, sausage and coffee every day, but I don't think that is the healthiest of choices. I can easily fit a donut into my calorie goal every single day, but it doesn't mean I should.
  • angraham2
    Options
    Try looking up Coaches Oats, it is a whole grain pancake mix that is absolutely wonderful. You can find it in the foods look up for more nutrition information. Try them with a homeade sugar free jam, or sugar free syrup if you don't like peanut butter!
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pancakes with sugar free syrup (it's not as thick, but other than that you can hardly tell the difference! i like Log Cabin SF) or make a quick strawberry or blueberry reduction using frozen fruit. all you have to do is heat the frozen fruit in a saucepan with a tiny bit of margarine (i use i cant beleive its not butter w/ olive oil) and a tsp of brown sugar, makes a great syrup!
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    grits

Ewww ewww ewww - grits are oatmeal's nastier, uglier cousin! haha :-)

^^^Never had cheese grits with butter, hot sauce and shrimp
    Oh yea that sounds awesome! I love grits!!
  • cfrock
    cfrock Posts: 37
    Options
    I like Almond Banana French Toast. It's 394 calories the way I make it.

2 slices of bread (I use Nature's Own Whole Wheat)
    2 eggs
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp EVOO
    2 tsp of shaved almonds
    1 banana

Mix cinnamon into eggs
    Heat olive oil in pan
    Soak bread in egg mixture thoroughly
    Cook to your liking
    Top with shaved almonds and banana slices
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Some people are very fond of fish for breakfast. Maybe a salmon dish or some grilled fish you might like on an english muffin?

How about smoked salmon and sliced tomatoes on a cream cheese bagel? Toast the bagel beforehand and it's super yum!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Some people are very fond of fish for breakfast. Maybe a salmon dish or some grilled fish you might like on an english muffin?

How about smoked salmon and sliced tomatoes on a cream cheese bagel? Toast the bagel beforehand and it's super yum!

Oops. I just read you don't like salmon. Just skip it and it's still good.
  • cfrock
    cfrock Posts: 37
    Options
    skinnytaste.com also has a ton of breakfast foods!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-breakfast-recipes.html