How do you choose your MFP friends??

Options
1235»

Replies

• bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I friend other people who have lost a lot of weight and have great advice, good nutrition, etc. I have people friend me, which could be because I post pretty often on the boards. Some friends are leftover from me starting MFP last year and I don't really remember how they became my friends.

And not to be a downer, but I usually de-friend people who have not updated in a really long time, or seem to be doing a lot more socializing than discussing fitness/nutrition. Maybe that's a little cold-hearted of me, and I DO like to have a friendly relationship with my MFP friends, but I have Facebook for the lame surveys, constant drama/love life updates, etc. I come here to keep motivated on working out and eating better.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My first set of MFP friends was a group of people from a mommy forum (they always talked about how well they were doing with MFP, so I joined and friended them for support). I occasionally request people that inspire me or that seem to have similar goals or lifestyle. Most of my friends request me, I accept all requests even if there is no message, although I do like to ask why if I can't figure it out myself LOL, and usually it's b/c they saw something I wrote in the forums and felt I had something in common with them. Love my friends. :-)
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I consult my baggie full of small animal bones. And if I left that at home, I read my tea leaves. If all else fail, I go for the magic 8 ball.
    My friends typically fall into 2 categories:
    -those with similar goals, or a good success story, motivating and encouraging.
    -those who make me laugh and I can allow my freak to come out.

What is great are those who are both.

Some combination of these above ;D
  • Galletakek
    Options
    inbredcat.jpg

I too like funny cat pics . . why are we not friends O_O
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I accept most people but i did de-friend a guy who was hitting on me. That is not what I am here for!
    When i look for friends I look for people with medium/high weight loss goals. I check to see how filled out their profile is aka pictures and inspiration, because that shows me they are more dedicated. and I like accounts with pictures of the people.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i accept everyone .and if i have a good convo with someone through a forum or a msg i add them. the thing about adding people is you can delete them eventually but i dont really believe in denying requests unless the message says they want to kill you and eat your eyeballs or something. people have become way too stuck up and pretentious on here when it comes to who they friend. its a weight loss site not a popularity contest. eventually if people dont sign on for weeks, dont post anything, dont have anything to say to me.. i may do a sweep of the friend closet. otherwise, anyone who wants to be my friend is cool with me.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    just dumb luck... so far so good!
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I friend people who motivate and inspire me! :)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I usually accept anyone.... Everyone needs motivation.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have friends who are younger, friends who are older.
    I have friends who maintain and friend who are struggling.
    I have friends that are boys and friends who are girls.
    I have friends that are local, friends who are not.
    I have friends that are religious, friends that are not.
    I have friends that are snarky and friends that are sweet (some are both).
    Pretty much, they need to be on MFP, want to be my friend, and play nice with my friends and my friends friends.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've never denied a friend. I'm a friendly person and love to have more encouragement and more people to encourage. I love having people of all different parts in their journey, I have people who are just maintaining, people who are just toning, people who have a little to lose, people who have a whole bunch to lose, it's just nice to see where people are. I'm always open for new friends :). But I do talk a lot because I enjoy interacting on here.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    By their awesomeness.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So, I don't usually deny any friend requests, but I always wonder what made them pic me? Im still pretty early into my weight loss, and don't really do a whole lot of posting to get noticed.
    OP, I can give you two reasons. First, I noticed your smile as soon as I opened this thread. If you are not in sales or customer service of some kind (where you interact with people face-to-face), you should be, because you would be awesome.

Second, your username is juicymama.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I usually send an invite to people who are either inspiring, or have a great sense of humor. I am pretty silly myself so I like people that can appreciate newsfeed clogs with a bunch of nonsense. I also like adding people who do the same things I do diet/exercise wise. I like interacting with others, so i do not limit myself to the basic *good job, high five*

I accept invites from everybody -- no reason to knock it 'till you try it! :)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I have no set standard. If I get a message with the FR, I'm very likely to accept the request. If I don't, I may or may not accept it, depending on my mood. Odds are, if you annoy me or are non-existant on here, I'll probably delete them anyways.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    My friends typically fall into 2 categories:
    -those with similar goals, or a good success story, motivating and encouraging.
    -those who make me laugh and I can allow my freak to come out.

What is great are those who are both.

I must fall into the second catagory :bigsmile:
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I'll accept anyone that requests me :)

^^^ This. And I have to hope they've read the disclaimer cause I gots potty mouth.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone because they have the right to delete themselves at will. And partially because I'm a *kitten* like that.