Baby help! Going a bit crazy!

Options

Replies

• kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have to say... at two months, you should just hold her and love her and hold her and love her until she gets to sleep and work on sleep training later. A child this young absolutely does not have the mindset to manipulate you. What she craves is human affection and an attachment to you-which she will gain by you holding her a lot. Enjoy her and hold her as much as you can now-before long, she won't want you because she'll want to explore!!

I completely agree with all of this.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not expecting her to sleep through the night, I just want her to sleep in her crib for her usual 3-4 hours at a time.
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I nursed for awhile, but when I started putting my son in his bed it was any time he would fall asleep, so he could get used to it. Whether it is for a nap or overnight place him in there. If he starts to wake up, pat their back. I remember spending what seemed like hours attempting to creep out of the baby room. I would literally place him in there... pat him till he fell asleep... start to walk away... pat his back again.. leave my hand laying on his back so he could feel me touch him... them gradually move a couple inches away... rinse and repeat the entire process until i was completely out of the room. He took about a week of no sleep hardly for me until he was sleeping in his own bed. I wish you luck.. this process might also work on your daughter if you start it now. :flowerforyou:
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have 5 kids, and we went through this.

Ear Plugs!
    When I put a baby down for nap, that's it.
    No negotiation, no reprieve and no parole. Nap Time!

They've been fed, changed and held, and now it's time to take your nap.
    Down goes baby, and in my ears go the plugs. Cry all you want - as loud as you want.

We either train our kids or they train us.

Just because one is tired of holding baby doesn't mean baby has been held enough to feel secure. :)

Just saying.

Oh, and I have five also. And 10 nieces/nephews that I helped with-a LOT. And numerous other cousins, great niece/nephews, etc.

Seriously-healthy attachments are formed by you responding to your baby and them learning through this response that they can count on you! I want my children to rely on me, so I've never been afraid to hold them until they were ready to be put down.
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have to say... at two months, you should just hold her and love her and hold her and love her until she gets to sleep and work on sleep training later. A child this young absolutely does not have the mindset to manipulate you. What she craves is human affection and an attachment to you-which she will gain by you holding her a lot. Enjoy her and hold her as much as you can now-before long, she won't want you because she'll want to explore!!

This!!! Yes you want your bed back and letting them cry for a few mins is fine, but 2 months is still a time as i remember it that they are eating every few hours. There will be plenty of time for crib training later.

As you can see there are many opinions on the matter, but there are millions of ways to parent with one way not being any better than the other. If you're looking for ways to get her in her crib because that is the choice you have made then look for the suggestions on how to accomplish that... Some parents co-sleep, some room in, some rock their kids to sleep, some doctors agree, some don't... in the end you have to do what works for your family.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Do you have a routine? Do you swaddle? Do you give warm bath and feed before bedtime?
    We had a routine everyday for almost 12 months and we never broke it. Playtime, warm bath, swaddle, feed, paci and then we always rocked her to sleep with whitenoise or her seahorse playing in the background. We rarely had any issues getting her to sleep. She slept in her own crib since day 1.
    And I couldn't do the whole let her cry it out deal, it stressed the f$ck out of me and the baby. Rockign and pacifer worked well for us. At the end of the day, it's whats works for your baby and you. She is little, a little cuddling and rocking might help ease the situation. You can leave the whole "cry it out" at 6 months, etc.
    Do you think she might be teething?

By the way she didn't sleep through the night until after 12mo., but that was ok for us. We just didn't have any issues getting her to initially go to sleep, which seems to be your problem.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Yes this. Shes still a smallbaby. Cuddle, comfort feed..rock her. The training comes later.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Being a mom of 3.. I understand my last baby had colic... whew talk about sleepless nights... but I can tell ya. rocking them to sleep and having that bond with them is big.. she is young and will eventually get there.. it takes time she was in your tummy 9 months so just wants the momma touch :).. it will get better.. a little at a time.. a noise machine is amazzing.. I had one that simulated noise in the womb.. and it was so soothing ... each baby is a learning experience and you have to do what you think is best.. You will be fine I promise *hugs*
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, try swaddling. My daughter wouldn't sleep by herself for the first month. We started using a "SwaddleMe" and she would fall asleep fine on her own after a while.

By the way, Psychiatrists are saying that "crying it out" is resulting in more dependence because of abandonment issues. They have lower self esteem. I could go on, it was an article in Psychology Today.

They call the first 3 months after a child is born the "fourth trimester" because they NEED you. They need to feel you, they need your affection. Your baby is probably just uneasy. My 13 lb 4 month old sleeps right next to us every night, and on occasion, I sneak her in bed with us. This is a time you'll never get back.

Good luck.
  • kapeluza
    Options
    double*
  • kapeluza
    Options
    And don't know if you swaddle or not but this is a lifesaver and works, WONDERS!

xlarge_290_908_Cream_Swaddle.jpg

Halo sleep sack. Invest in one if you don't have one, like go right now!
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    She does have lullaby sound stuffed animals and they calm her down a bit but it never lasts. She starts crying about 5 minutes after I'm out of the room, spits out her pacifier and ignores the music. Like right now, I checked in on her after 20 minutes of crying, I came out of the room at 10:50 (my time) and five minutes later she already has spit out her binky and is crying. She's been at it for the last ten minutes. She's not hungry and I changed her diaper not an hour ago.

How long can a baby cry for?

She can't pick the binky up and put it back in herself, could be that she wants the binky back? Drove me crazy ... but seems like every 15-20 minutes I had to pop the binky back in my son's mouth! 2 months is still a little young and your not hurting anything at this point by holding her and comforting her.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's just not ready for that crib. Two months old is pretty soon to be separated from Mom at night all night. Maybe not for you, but for her. Maybe a smoother transition? When I put my little one in her crib in her own room I slept in the room with her for a while (well, I will admit, I was having trouble with the separation, too--and her room was far away from ours at the time which is scary to a new mom) to ease the transition for both of us. If something like that won't work, maybe she is trying to let you know of another need she has--hunger, gas, ect. For the first year it felt like trial and error when she woke up in the night--something ended up being a solution, we just had to find it (which sucks at 3 A.M. and you are insanely exhausted). Babies this age cry as it is their only way to communicate need--I know you know this, I just have to try and cover as many bases as I can so this is helpful even a little? Good luck, I hope you all have a 'silent night' soon. :wink:
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    And don't know if you swaddle or not but this is a lifesaver and works, WONDERS!

xlarge_290_908_Cream_Swaddle.jpg

Halo sleep sack. Invest in one if you don't have one, like go right now!

These are awesome... no kicking off the blanket and getting cold. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it's called but this worked with both of mine... couple nights of hell and you'll be done, BUT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THRU...

Put her in bed - leave the room close the door (or whatever your routine will be) and set a timer for 5 minutes. In 5 minutes if she is up and fussing go in without turning on lights and pat her and try to sooth her for no more than 30 seconds, but DO NOT PICK HER UP. Leave the room and set a timer for 10 minutes and repeat this process adding 5 minutes at a time until she has gone to sleep. It took me two nights and we only got through 4 sessions before they were out and once they learn how to sooth themself you'll be better off. I would never recommend letting a child cry unless you know for certain their needs have been met (fed, warm, clean diaper) - so as long as she is just mad this technique will work. Most everyone I know has used it to some degree or another with good results. It is hard as a mom to hear them crying and know how simple it is to pick them up and make them happy, but letting her learn how to sooth herself is a gift and the sooner she learns it the better. I know you say this hasn't worked, but it just hasn't worked YET - because you have eventually given in she has learned that if she crys long enough you will rescue her, you have to teach her that it won't work... Believe me, she will eventually fall asleep even if it takes an hour.

That being said, she is your child and you have to do whatever you are comfortable doing. I will tell you that I had a friend that found this method cruel and had a 14 month old still waking her up at 2am every morning for a bottle! She finally decided she had to follow thru and doing this method at 14 months is definitely tougher - the longer you wait the more ingrained the habit is to break.

Good luck!

THIS! I used this method for all four of my babies. If your baby is sleeping for 4-5 hours at a time, it should work. If less, she might need a few more weeks.

I followed the advice of a Parenting magazine article called, "Teach your child to sleep in 7 days". You might be able to still find it on their website.

Establish a routine: Change diaper, feeding, put in crib AWAKE. Crying wil ensue. Soothe and comfort with voice/touch but do not pick up. I went in every five minutes with my first one and he cried for 65 minutes but fell asleep on his own

The next night, we repeated the process and he cried for 15 minutes. Within 4 days , he was falling asleep within minutes.

But if you really feel like she's not getting it after an hour or so, she may not be ready. Just know( as I'm sure you do) that babies under a year are in no danger of "spoiling". Let me know if I can help further.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think 2.5 months is WAY to young to let her "cry it out" We are just doing that now with my 8 month old. At this point when a new born cries there is prob something wrong. I would try gripe water for gas, tylenol for possible teething pain, and swadling.

Just my opinion..
    I agree completely! Letting a 2 1/2 month old CIO is abusive. Think of what they've gone through in the past few months! I'd be crying too!

I have 2 boys who are older now but were also very large (1 lbs 11oz and 9 lbs 8 oz. The 2nd one was 2 weeks early.) On the plus side, that helped them sleep through the night much sooner because size wise they were the size of a 6mo when they were 2mo. Right now your baby needs you to feel secure. You cannot spoil an infant. If the baby is too young to understand that when you are not in their sight that doesn't mean you don't exist then they are too young to go through CIO.

Babies cry. It's what they do. It might mean they are bored or over stimulated or hungry or gassy or wet or dirty or constipated or over tired or lonely or in pain or tey have an itch or they miss you or they're afraid or any number of other things. You can't say "Well, he's changed, fed, and I cuddled him. That's all I can do." That's just mean at that age.

Trust me, before you know it they will be too big to cuddle and you'll wish you could have a few sleepless nights in exchange for a bit more time with them as a baby.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    they make things for when ur baby starts rolling tht supposed to keep em on there back but mayby if u got one it wud make the baby feel cuddled in
  • kapeluza
    Options
    We used this seahorse has backgroudn music. It barely glows so this was the only light in the room when we would rock her to sleep. Also, a great item to have.

111265432.jpg

Or the slumber bear! Also a lifesaver! I would leave this in her crib when she fell asleep and if she woke up this would automatic sense movement and start up helping her fall back asleep!

OkyAsqcIKKVBdhDJCRpnmVZ___OVMlzgqgPcO-pPBHKAZPLbLLabD9ICsUMrxsMdtj_IS86piKfGvvMwPqL2ns_lVLc6K9lUjvwaOtkgLqItfVafujOGcUmpfTlI7k9-9YsTUWr9DKk0WG6tApgYoMnFARPjWhx5DbEVleFpvyc
    nvented by a doctor, and effectively used in hospital nurseries for over 25 years! The Original Slumber Bear contains the ONLY actual intra-uterine, recorded womb sound to help lull your Baby to sleep in minutes! Each Original Slumber Bear also arrives with its own Silkie!
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That young you aren't spoiling them. They are not doing it for attention. Swaddle, rock to sleep, give them a bottle right before sleep, or a pacifier. My daughter went down effortlessly with just a pacifier. I would give her her last bottle, give her a bath put her in bed swaddled with a pacifier. I didn't put her in her own room in her crib until 4-5 months. I had a portacrib thingy beside my bed. But that young I would definitely swaddle. the Halo Sleep sack is AMAZING! So easy to swaddle! Thats the best purchase ever! YOu can also nurse to sleep if the baby is bottle fed. But at this age, comforting them IS NOT bad. And most experts do not recommend the "cry it out" method this young.
    http://www.target.com/p/Halo-Fleece-Swaddle-Sleepsack-in-Sage-Newborn/-/A-13334660

YOu might try the "babywise method" that's what I did. Regulating naps, wake time, and bedtime is KEY in my opinion.
    I followed it loosely. What I did was have a set time I fed her every morning. Was usually 730 800 am. then every 3 hours i fed her. I premade my bottles the night before. her last feeding was like at 800. I gave her a bath, swaddled her and laid her down. Her "wake time" I didn't just put her to sleep with a bottle. Some people say nap all the time they want, but a little wake time for a baby is a good thing. If my baby acted hungry I fed her, but because I was feeding her every 3 hours she wasn't hungry.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - Dr. Marc Weissbluth.
    Every parent should have a copy of this book. It details what sleep pattern to expectat each age, newborn to teenagers. It teaches how to sleep train and when, possible problems that could arise and how to deal with them. And how many hours of sleep each age needs at night and during naps, etc.
    Seriously, everyone can benefit from this book. And I also love the swaddler sleep sacks. Keeps them snug. :-)
    Your baby is acting very typical for her age. At least you know its normal. :-)