Baby help! Going a bit crazy!

Options

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A little known book called Baby Wise is what I used on my 2nd 3rd and 4th. :love: Unfortunately I let the first child wear me out!:noway:

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the posts so I don't know if any of this was said already but here's my experience:

My daughter was about 2 1/2 months old when I moved her into her own room, in her crib, and for the same reason you did (she was shaking the bassinet when she kicked or moved). I started by putting her there for naps, let her get used to the room and the crib, get her smell in there. Then moved on to the nights after she was taking good, long, naps in her crib. I have also heard that putting your pillow case (yours, not your husbands) in her crib will also help her to relax and sleep better. Do you swaddle the baby?- also try that.
    It may take a little while for the baby to get used to being apart from you but (and I KNOW it's hard, I know how exhausted you can get) do not take her back into your bed, she'll just realize you're going to give in and keep crying until she gets what she wants-to sleep with yall. Try rubbing her back, patting her butt (if she's rolling over and sleeping on her tummy). you may need to start forcing a schedule on her. Only allowing her to nap every 2 hours, and bedtime at the same time every night. Baths sometimes help to relax them, as well. If all else fails, you may need to rock her to sleep for a while :/

My daughter is now 9 1/2months old and has slept in her crib for naps and bedtime ever since. Of course it's different for every baby and I concider mine to be a pretty easy baby to please so I may not be of much help :(
  • ltillman
    Options
    I HAD A SIMILAR ISSUE AND I DID WHAT WE ARE ARE TOLD NOT TO DO, LET MY SON SLEEP IN MY BED
    I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS BUT I FELT AS I HAD NO CHOICE. WHENI PUT HIM IN THE BASSINET OR THE CRIB WE ALL LOST, HIM, MY HUSBAND AND I. HE WOULD ONLY SLEEP IN OUR BED. I NEVER KNEW HOW COULD SUCH A TINY THING KNOW WHERE HE IS SLEEPING? I WAS THINKING HOW COULD A NEWBORN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE? I STILL DONT KNOW BUT THEY DO!
    SORRY I HOPE SOMETHIN GWORKS FOR YOU
    MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD SLEEP WITH THE BABY AND HE WAS A FIRST TIME PARENT SO HE WAS SUPER PARANOID ABOUT ROLLING ON THE BABY OR SOMETHING, AND I WAS ERY CATTIOUS I AM A LIGHT SLEEPRER SO WE DID THE "WRONG"THING AND IF I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN, I HONESTLY WOULD. MY SON SLEPT WITH US. I TRIED ALL OTHER SUGGESTIONS BY THE DOCTOR AND OTHERS BUT NONE OF THOSE WORK...
    GOOD LUCK DEAR
  • ltillman
    Options
    i would hold or rock my son, and he seemed sound alseep i would swaddle him, wrap him well and snug
    as soon as i laid him in that bassinet about 10 mins later he was up.
    i tried the cirb, same result. after a month of extreme fatigue and restless nights i let him sleep in my bed
    when he slept in my bed he slept 4-5 hours
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the other posters on it being too soon to expect a baby to be able to settle themselves down to sleep. I don't know if you're breastfeeding, but if so, I just found for myself anyway, that the co-sleeping route was the easiest. Not only did I not have to physically get up to go get the baby from his bassinet, I would just put a couple receiving blankets on top of the fitted sheet so I could just breastfeed when needed. It just became a natural rhythm where he would pretty much feed off of me himself while I slept beside him. Along with having a baby, I think it's just instinctual for parents to sleep lighter and be aware of baby being there. From what I have read, the horror stories of babies being rolled on in bed usually involves a parent under the influence of a drug or alcohol inducing a heavier sleep.
    A book that was a HUGE lifesaver in this department for me is "The Baby Sleep Book" by Dr. William and Dr. Martha Sears.
  • caitmcwill
    Options
    I bought something called a nap nanny for my daughter when she was that young. She was on the small side, so I think the crib just felt too big for her. The nap nanny is an incline wedge that she slept on for several months and she did great in it. Slightly expensive, but worth it especially since I am sure you are needing sleep. I got it at Babies R Us.
  • caitmcwill
    Options
    whoops posted twice :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I hate to suggest this.

Some people think it's "bad mommy" but does she take a pacifier? That's why I did if things got really bad.

It's better than a thumb. You can take away the pacifier but not her thumbs...
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to say... at two months, you should just hold her and love her and hold her and love her until she gets to sleep and work on sleep training later. A child this young absolutely does not have the mindset to manipulate you. What she craves is human affection and an attachment to you-which she will gain by you holding her a lot. Enjoy her and hold her as much as you can now-before long, she won't want you because she'll want to explore!!

THIS^^^
  • Malani2010
    Options
    My dd slept in her swing until about 6 months and then took the crib well. Try napping her there first to let her get used to it during the daylight hrs.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was in your boat. This book saved my life! OK. That's an exaggeration. But I followed this guy's advice (after a friend steered me to him), and my kids became AWESOME sleepers. Still are. Hang in there. It's a hard time, in that way. But it does change and improve.

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0345486455/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324104519&sr=8-1
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Check out the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book. I strongly strongly suggest against the Cry It Out method. I haven't come across this problem yet personally. My son is 9 months old and we co sleep. It works best for our family, especially with him still needing to breastfeed in the night a little bit. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have to say... at two months, you should just hold her and love her and hold her and love her until she gets to sleep and work on sleep training later. A child this young absolutely does not have the mindset to manipulate you. What she craves is human affection and an attachment to you-which she will gain by you holding her a lot. Enjoy her and hold her as much as you can now-before long, she won't want you because she'll want to explore!!

THIS^^^

I also like this post.
  • agadoogirl
    agadoogirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you had never read any parenting books or had any advice from anybody, what would your gut instinct be? Go with that. We were warned with both of our boys that we'd make life hard for ourselves if we didn't let them cry it out but we decided that they're not little for long so if they wanted to be rocked or fed to sleep or to sleep in our bed then that was obviously something they needed and our oldest was self settling in his cot at 4 months and sleeping through. My youngest sleeps on his stomach and has done since day 1 because he wakes himself up waving his arms around any other way, so maybe that's something you could try? You'll find what works for you as a family and as you get more confident you'll learn to filter out the advice that doesn't suit your parenting style. Good luck with it!
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you had never read any parenting books or had any advice from anybody, what would your gut instinct be? Go with that. We were warned with both of our boys that we'd make life hard for ourselves if we didn't let them cry it out but we decided that they're not little for long so if they wanted to be rocked or fed to sleep or to sleep in our bed then that was obviously something they needed and our oldest was self settling in his cot at 4 months and sleeping through. My youngest sleeps on his stomach and has done since day 1 because he wakes himself up waving his arms around any other way, so maybe that's something you could try? You'll find what works for you as a family and as you get more confident you'll learn to filter out the advice that doesn't suit your parenting style. Good luck with it!

I warn against any suggestion to put your baby to sleep on their belly - this has been shown to increase the risks of SID's and while it is a personal choice, the risk needs to be understood.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Our son went through a nightmare sleeper phase at about the same age, i had friends and others encouraging us to let him cry himself out, but he never did he just cried until we gave in. We decided not to bother with the self soothing so young and let him feed or just cuddle with us until he fell asleep. It was so much easier and peaceful..especially since they are only tiny and cuddly for such a short period of time.

He is now 6 months old and he can put himself to sleep in his cot with no problems, so figure out whats best for you and dont worry about the fear of spoiling them or letting them manipulate you. Enjoy all the quiet cuddly times because they grow out of that sooo quickly.

Good luck.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids, and we went through this.

Ear Plugs!
    When I put a baby down for nap, that's it.
    No negotiation, no reprieve and no parole. Nap Time!

They've been fed, changed and held, and now it's time to take your nap.
    Down goes baby, and in my ears go the plugs. Cry all you want - as loud as you want.

We either train our kids or they train us.

Just because one is tired of holding baby doesn't mean baby has been held enough to feel secure. :)

Just saying.

Oh, and I have five also. And 10 nieces/nephews that I helped with-a LOT. And numerous other cousins, great niece/nephews, etc.

Seriously-healthy attachments are formed by you responding to your baby and them learning through this response that they can count on you! I want my children to rely on me, so I've never been afraid to hold them until they were ready to be put down.

I was not theorizing. My kids - all 5 - are out of that stage and doing very well. No geeks, wimps, medicated drones, psychos, weaklings or depression cases. And I do NOT want my kids relying on me; they need to learn to rely on themselves.

What we did worked, and if people want to know what works, look to those who've already been there and achieved success.

I saw plenty of what does not work with wimpy parents raising a whole generation of obese, medicated underachievers.

Nope!
    Kids deserve more than that.
  • cravelove
    Options
    Controlled (or in this thread, uncontrolled) crying 'works' because the baby gives up trying to communicate when no-one responds. Beating your naughty kid until they are too terrified of you to ever do the wrong thing also works. That doesn't mean it is right.

The info I was referring to earlier:
    http://www.aaimhi.org/inewsfiles/controlled_crying.pdf
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    this is a very controversial topic, as EVERYONE has different methods. At 2mths they are still getting use to the outside world, they want to be in your tummy where it was nice and warm and tight and food was plentiful.
    Have you tried wrapping her? tuck her arms down tight, so she feels secure and in your belly. Maybe try stroking her face when she's in her cot, around her eyes and forehead. At this age they actually have to learn to fall asleep and it's difficult for them to understand that.

At the end of the day, you find something that works for you and you feel comfortable about it. Don't stress out (easier said than done). It's about you and her (and daddy) take a deep breathe and start again. It's difficult when your tired and grumpy yourself, but if you need a breather, take it, it wont hurt her to cry a little longer so you can take a few breathes.

Good luck and enjoy it :)
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Baby Whisperer is a really good book. It's about making baby independent but not as extreme as other books that I won't mention. It;s a long time since I read it now, but I vaguely remember you pick the baby up and soothe, pat their back etc, whisper shhh and once they are calm put them down. Keep repeating. For as long as it takes. Which could be a while! But, they are getting used to being put down to fall asleep by themselves but not left crying it out and getting distressed. I think it worked really well with my first child who was sleeping peacefully through the night at 12 weeks. Second baby, it all went out the window, I was too tired to read books or use concepts, therefore he slept in his cot in our room til he was a year old. It probably is coincidental but he didn't sleep through the night for about 18 months!