What was your trigger to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Work trousers for me too, I'm in my biggest size and they were getting bloody tight. The prospect of having to request an even bigger size terrified mr, I've been unhappy with my weight/health for some time, but that was the nail in the coffin!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    being well enough TO exercise again. Feels good to move!
  • dolphin8075
    Options
    On Oct. 1st of this year my family was at a bbq & my hubby took a picture of me, posting it to face book. Although
    that would be the norm for us, when I seen it later I was mortified in so many ways. I couldn't believe my belly had gotten so huge.
    So, I started working out & changed the way I eat. I am now down 17 pounds, working out daily. My belly is way smaller now but of course since I decided to make a full life style change I have a ways to go.
  • yeseneah
    yeseneah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After having two kids, I had totally let myself go...gained about 60pounds in a a matter of 4 years. After having my last child I vowed I would get back to where I was. The comments: "I'll believe it when I see it" and " There's no way you can do it". Helped too;)
  • jam1010
    jam1010 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am getting tired whenever people who know me always say, "you are get fatter now". Now I must say, does people were telling me and noticed that I slimmed down after few months sticking in here.
    And since my husband is away for almost more than a year now, will get home next year to have a few months vacation, Well, just trying to impress him and prove to him that I can still lose weight.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Being single forever, and extremely low self-esteem and the realization that if I continued at that rate I'd only get larger and I did not like that one bit.

^this^
    plus I just wasn't happy with myself. I couldn't breathe going up stairs or hills, which is what my college mostly is. My belly looked huge, and I hit 220 lbs, my highest weight EVER after my first year of college. I started in July at 212 lbs, and now between 200-199.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My trigger was my diabetes Dr threatening to quit because I was not improviing or losing weight to control my glucose.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Someone on MFP has a ticker that reads: I wish I weighed now what I weighed back when I thought I was fat.

I was closing in on my 50th birthday. Remembered back to when I was 39 and had made a decision I was not going to be fat when I turned 40. Lost about 20 pounds at that time and felt and looked really good. I've gained and lost over the past decade. Started MFP in August of this year and am down 17 pounds. I am now back down to where I started when I was 39 --- when I felt like a blimp. I'm proud of my accomplishments, and have about 15 - 20 more to go.
  • littlewrists
    Options
    Being told I was fat, relentlessly.
  • honor82
    Options
    I have a doctors appointment on Jan. 16th to get blood work done. I'm hoping I won't be put on cholesterol meds.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Main reason was the thought of being a Grandpa and being around to watch and be a part of their life! Secondary was the chance to get off the Blood Pressure and Cholestoral Medicine! Then the fact I was able to avoid going on Diabetic Meds!
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After having four children I stopped taking care of myself and put all of my attention on my family. It wasn't until I looked at a Christmas picture last year that I realized how much I had let myself go!!! That picture is in my profile pics and I look at it daily and it motivates me to keep going!!!! I can't wait to take a new Christmas picture this year to compare the differences!!!!
  • oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Back in October my BFF and I went to see two of the guys from The Kids in the Hall (Kevin McDonald and Scott Thompson) performing @ Charlie Goodnight's in Raleigh, NC. We were lucky enough to hang out with them after the show and we took pictures. I was having the thrill of a lifetime - until my BFF posted those pics to Facebook and I looked HUGE! A fabulous life moment tainted by horrid pics!! It triggered me to get on the ball! That was October 14th and I am down 19 lbs and heading for 20 lbs by New Year's Eve. Then it's only 50 more lbs to go......
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Feeling like I need spanx for my stomach. Then my thighs. Then my back. Do they make spanx for your arms? My trigger was never being content with the way my body felt. I want my skin to be my own natural spanx!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The "O" word.

Ok, one of the "O" words...obese. Not just a little bit but firmly in the obese category, flirting with morbidly obese. I couldn't believe it when the doctor said it. I wanted to scream, cry and slap her. How dare she!

I went home and rechecked her calculations on several different websites. It was true. That night I surfed the web for 100 lb weight loss ideas and found MFP.

Here's to kicking that nasty "O" word to the curb where it belongs :flowerforyou:

Sláinte!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sons wedding. Lost some weight before that and then started putting some back on. Then one day I realized I would be turning 55 this year and I just want to be done with the yo-yoing up and down.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Zero confidence and low self-esteem...A break up truely sparked my losing weight.. When I was in that relationship, the longer I was in it the bigger I was getting. Now if I'm ever going to one day get back into a relationship, I figured I need to gain confidence, finally feel attractive, and keep happy and healthy.
  • honor82
    Options
    The "O" word.

Ok, one of the "O" words...obese. Not just a little bit but firmly in the obese category, flirting with morbidly obese. I couldn't believe it when the doctor said it. I wanted to scream, cry and slap her. How dare she!

I went home and rechecked her calculations on several different websites. It was true. That night I surfed the web for 100 lb weight loss ideas and found MFP.

Here's to kicking that nasty "O" word to the curb where it belongs :flowerforyou:

Sláinte!

Me too, I hate the word obese. Another "O" word I hate is OVERWEIGHT. Ugh.
  • dcarreno
    Options
    Hey big guy!! funny they never called me that when I was in the Marine Corps I was tone lean healty fast enduring and non-stoppable. Well I have lost 22 lbs with my MFP friends. I have 30 lbs. whats up big guy my as$ no more of that ****e brother not on my watch!!
  • allieferriera
    allieferriera Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Something my husband said that wasn't intentionally mean but that's how I took it. I became disgusted with myself. My diet started the next day.