BE HONEST! How does this look?

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    FTR none of the negativity is offensive to me. LoL I value honesty. I'd rather you guys be honest then be all like "Oh, you look great!" though go out there looking a hot mess in front of these people. lol

Thing is...I don't typically wear dresses, so I'm not sure I'll feel right in anything. LOL But I have no sense of style. A couple of my friends picked this out for me. I really have no clue what to wear. I wanna look good to the older and the younger is what I was meaning by classy. Lol I just don't wanna look trashy. haha

I feel like I look too big in it. I'm just not sure what I CAN rock though. That's the prob, and I only have like 2 days to find something. I'm kinna freaking out a bit. I always dress safe and plain, and I just really wanted to dress out of the norm (in a great way of course) and really make my crush drool. ;)

Remember that sexy isn't really about showing everything you've got, but rather being confident, stylish, and flattering to your body and personality.

My vote would be for a cocktail dress with a little flair (nice pattern, but not over the top), a high pump, some nice bling (necklace with matching bracelet would work nicely), and a nice updo.

Examples (showing in plus sizes):

http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clothing/Dresses//Red+One-Shoulder+Wiggle+Dress-560459.jsp

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/trixxi-plus-size-prom-dress-sleeveless-banded-empire-a-line?ID=430443&CategoryID=37038#fn=sp=1&spc=364&ruleId=65&slotId=12

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/onyx-plus-size-dress-cap-sleeve-sequin-lace-cocktail-dress?ID=617270&CategoryID=37038&LinkType=#fn=sp=2&spc=364&ruleId=65&slotId=78
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That does change things! I would first Invest in a good shaper, and if these older gals are as conservative and classy as you say, I would definitely go with a dress (that skims curves), preferably in a solid color, does not have to be black, although black is slimming and can be worn with a variety of accessories. It should be knee-length. Don't wear the zebra hose, but nude or black. Heels are great (necessary!) but not closed booties. The beauty of a dress/outfit like this - it can be dressed up or down as future occasions may call for.

As the mom of two adult males, rest assured that I give my 2 cents worth to them about what gals wear! Size of gals or guys isn't what is important...it is dressing in a manner that is not sloppy or tacky.

Going out with the guys/gals after work? The above outfit is perfect! Trying to impress the mom of a guy? Dress conservatively!

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of this outfit at all...I also don't find it very classy to be honest. Surely, you could find something that looks amazing on you. You have a great body for several types of styles of dresses. :)
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Even for a "dressy casual" event it's to casual. The skirt is a bit snug, maybe a cute A-line dress. It will cut in at the waist and skim over the hips, throw on a cute cardigan (in case it's cool), a statement necklace and a pair of cute shoes. I would rather be
    over-dressed then under-dressed.

<<<I wore this dress, with a bolero jacket, and beautiful fushia pumps to my DH Christmas Party and I was right in the middle of the pack.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i love that look of the high skirt. it sucks not knowing what people are going to wear. as long as the top isn't made of a tee-shirt material, i think you are fine, and if you add some cute jewelry it would be awesome.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm so tempted to just wear some tight black leggin jeans and a red top or something with some heels. Of course this wouldn't be too far off from what I would typically wear which is what I was trying to avoid. I wanted to do something different/out-of-the norm for me. I don't really wanna "play-it-safe" but I don't wanna look stupid either. I want style like my black girlfriends. Very classy, yet sexy and grabs and HOLDS the attention! You know? ;)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    See If you can find a cute wrap dress. A simple black wrap, awesome accessories and sexy heels can be casual/sexy/classy.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you look fine in the photo if you're comfortable in the outfit, but as to whether the outfit is class enough depends on the kind of party, and what classy means to you. If it's a formal party, I think you need something classier.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of really tight fitting skirts or patterned pantyhose for the 40 something crowd - but I'm in my late 40's and don't live in a city. I'm more of a black dress, sheer stockings and silver jewelry type of girl.

If you want to make your crush drool, go for something that more hints at your shape. I've heard it said that men are more turned on by the fantasy of what's underneath than by having all the curves displayed - imagination is a wonderful thing.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    what about this?

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1d48aac&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&Ne=4294957900+1490+1031+29+3+8+585&NOffset=2&N=4294936942&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&CmCatId=70656|80145

I'm scared to over dress, cause for all I know...the other women may very well just be wearing jeans and i nice shirt. My friend (guy) said it's casual. There will a lot of young hip people there.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    what about this?

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1d48aac&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&Ne=4294957900+1490+1031+29+3+8+585&NOffset=2&N=4294936942&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&CmCatId=70656|80145

I'm scared to over dress, cause for all I know...the other women may very well just be wearing jeans and i nice shirt. My friend (guy) said it's casual. There will a lot of young hip people there.

It is better to be overdressed and looking great than be underdressed and looking inappropriate or frumpy.

Dress is cute, but the skirt is really tight on that one too. I would go with something with more of an empire or A-line waist.

Examples:

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1cfe81e&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&Ne=4294957900+1490+1031+29+3+8+585&NOffset=2&shopperType=G&N=4294936942&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&cmAMS_T=XGN3&cmAMS_C=MERCHA&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=70656|80145

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=1cb4edf&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&Ne=4294957900+1490+1031+29+3+8+585&NOffset=2&shopperType=G&N=4294936942&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&cmAMS_T=XGN3&cmAMS_C=MERCHA&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=70656|80145
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    Honestly, I think you look amazing! However, I would not wear this. I think that no matter if the evening is formal or casual or a mixture of both, a little black dress will never steer you wrong! Pair it up with a pair of sheer stockings, and (you could do colorful if you wanted) a pair of heels. A necklace would be great, as long as it isn't too "hey look at me" kind of thing. It should be something to catch the eye of your crush, but still be tasteful for his family. I wish you the best of luck and hope I didn't sound too much like a horrible person. :flowerforyou:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    You're ROCKIN' it!!! :D
  • gardengals
    gardengals Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's a great outfit if you were headed out to a club or dance party.....for a "classy" party I would probably wear a cocktail dress with black nylons and then accesorize with some special shoes and definately jewelry.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Just read your clarification. I still would scrap this outfit. I'm in the little black dress group. A wrap dress would look great on your figure. Pulls in at the waist, will skim your curves and draws attention up top to the ladies. Bonus there for that male attention you're seeking. I'd pick a darker color and then have fun with your shoes and accessories. a red pump and bag with a black dress would be sassy. Understated hose are usually the way to go when being classy. So no zebra. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others here - you can look classy & smoking hot in something not so tight. I hope you find something :)

I really love this dress & have considered buying it to wear to something a bit more fancy schmancy

http://www.ezibuy.com.au/womens-clothing/dresses/evening-cocktail-dress/together-jersey-dress-with-chiffon-sleeves-77022.htm
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but if it's for a formal event, I would probably find something else. Especially when you mentioned that your tights are zebra...that's too casual. It's a cute outfit, but it doesn't look formal.
    i agree, you look great, but its not formal. Maybe their idea of formal is different than mine though. lol Super cute outfit though!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    what about this?

It is better to be overdressed and looking great than be underdressed and looking inappropriate or frumpy.

Dress is cute, but the skirt is really tight on that one too. I would go with something with more of an empire or A-line waist.

^^This^^

Something that skims the hips would be better. A wrap dress is a great idea and it is semi-adjustable so you'll be able to wear it many times even as you lose more weight. Undergarments are a huge thing as well, you can get some at Target and they are super supportive but not bulky.

Go to the store and try on different styles of dresses especially ones that you'd never think you'd like and you may be surprised how they fit your slimmer body.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Honestly, I think that your outfit choice would be rockin' for a night out with the girls at a pub, or out clubbing, but as far as a classy dinner for people generally 40 and over, I would think the tight red skirt and zebra textured tights isn't for that sort of venue. Also, that outfit doesn't look like it would be all that comfortable to wear for any really long period of time. I think when it comes to choosing a cute number to wear, and classy also applies to this rule too - COMFORT = CONFIDENCE. You want something that you feel comfortable to move around in, so you're sitting and moving naturally, not something you're self conscious or standing stiff in.

I don't know what age range you're in, but regardless of age, a dress with gathers or pleats in the right places can look sexy, classy and be comfy - something like a few of these dresses here:

Draping-1024x547.jpg
    Draping-1024x547-1.jpg

Hope my two cents helps! Good luck and have fun! :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I should probably clarify it's not a formal event. It's more casual...I just wanted to dress it up a bit. I'm guessing the women will be dressy-casual. I wish I knew what the other ladies are wearing! lol I was going more for getting the "right" attention from a guy I'm into, but just that his fam will be there and they are very classy women. I want to appeal to the older classier crowd (not come across as trashy), but still look hip since I'm young.

Too tight. :noway: