How am I supposed to drink 8 cups of water!

Options
So it says to drink 8cups of water... i dont drink tea or coffee or carbinated drinks. Maybe some juice or powerade but very rarely will i have more than one cup of water in a day! To take my medication in morning and night its only one or two sips, not a whole cup. I cant go to sleep within 30mins of drinking water.
How am i supposed to fit in 8 cups of water a day? Does anyone actually do this?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's a habit and if you want to, you can certainly get used to it.
    I find sipping from a water bottle during the day makes it easy to get the water in, it would be rare for me to have less than 2 litres of water a day.

Having said this, if you find it hard to drink water, make sure you are getting plenty of liquid in through your diet. Your body needs a certain amount of fluid to stay healthy and function well, but it doesn't mean you HAVE to drink lots of water if you really don't want to.
    It also doesn't have to be water, herbal teas are a nice way to get the fluids in without adding lots of calories (which is the down side of juice).
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    On average, I get like 10 cups of water. But I love me some ice cold water. Maybe try to take a bottle with you, and just take sips here and there. Or when you are feeling hungry in the middle of the day after you've already eaten, or can't eat just yet, drink as much water as you can stand. Water is what your body is made up of the most (70% on average) and sometimes when you are 'hungry' you are probably really thirsty, and your body is begging for some water. Keep in mind that it's something your body needs, and maybe that will help you. :)
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle with a straw that I always keep filled. It's amazing how fast it goes throughout the day. Also, I find it helps to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge if you like cold water. I have a one with a Brita filter, and I find that having cold water makes me drink it more.
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a real hard time with this too. I have never been much of a drinker. When I used to drink soda (years ago) a single can could last me an entire day. What I do now is make myself drink an entire glass with my meals - that is 3 cups down. Beyond that I try and keep water by me at all times. If I am hungry, or think I am hungry, I try to drink some water first before breaking down and having a snack. I still struggle with getting the full 8 glasses in but I am getting closer.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I find that using a re-usable cup with a straw helps me get 8-10 cups of water per day:bigsmile: and the fact that water is mostly the only beverage of choice for me.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Having a bottle of water really helps me. I won't drink water from a glass often but for some reason when it's in a bottle and I can sip on it during the day, I tend to knock over a litre of water a day easily. Start small though. Maybe buy a small bottle of water and work your way up :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lol. I was told by my doctor that I drink TOO much water (upwards of 8 LITERS a day.)

I can't imagine how anyone can not drink enough.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    take a jug..... pour 8 cups of water in it... take it with you everywhere u go... drink everytime u look at it!
  • pietergreyling
    Options
    Set a remider on your phone for every hour starting 7H00 and just drink 1 glass per hour
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    To be completely fair, MFP does say they 'recommend' that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day.

I always take recommendations as I do speed bumps in an older car - they're suggestions ;)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I average between 8-12cups a day plus coofee tea and any soda I may drink. I always have water around and in the warmer months I'll drink at least a gallon a day. I love it and love our well water, so I drink a lot.

It's important for flushing out the toxins as your cleans itself up.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    take a jug..... pour 8 cups of water in it... take it with you everywhere u go... drink everytime u look at it!

my method is similar

fill a 30 oz mug with water as soon as you get up and slam it. It will have a similar effect as a cup of joe. Do not leave sink/water area until mug is empty. Repeat at lunch & dinner.

I think my record is 150 oz in a day.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'd be running to the bathroom all day. I drink at meals, I sip water during the day, I drink at intervals throughout my workout. But I don't think I'm making 8 cups.

Pam
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I fill up a big@ss water bottle and sip on it throughout the day. It was hard at first but now I'm up to 2-3 liters per day. It's surprising how often you'll reach for it when it's just sitting there.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    So it says to drink 8cups of water... i dont drink tea or coffee or carbinated drinks. Maybe some juice or powerade but very rarely will i have more than one cup of water in a day! To take my medication in morning and night its only one or two sips, not a whole cup. I cant go to sleep within 30mins of drinking water.
    How am i supposed to fit in 8 cups of water a day? Does anyone actually do this?
    i drink, on average, 13 cups of water (including 2-4 cups of unsweetened herbal tea). i have 8 of them before 2 pm.
    this is what i do to start off right... drink, one cup of water BEFORE breakfast... 2 cups of tea DURING breakfast..

i can't seem to understand why people have a hard time drinking water ..baffles me, really.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i bring my water bottle just about everywhere, and when i'm sitting doing work i will sit there and just drink water and ill be down 2-3 cups and not even realize. i have a 1000mL (~4cups) camelback and its not too difficult to drink two of them a day
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic to me. I have always been a big water drinker. It's the first thing I want when I wake up. We all know it seems to really help with weight loss. On the other hand, I have a 96 yr old mother-in-law that has never drank many fluids, never water. She may have a couple cups of coffee a day and once in awhile a glass of pepsi. Go figure! She's never been over wt. :huh:
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    1) Fill cup with water.
    2) Drink
    3) Repeat Steps 1 & 2 seven more times.

:)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the water drinking wagon since getting pregnant, not exercising and being in cold, snowy weather. But, I was drinking about 12-15 eight ounce glasses of water a day. It took a little getting used to, I had to find the right bottle, right filter, etc. to get the water to taste good to me, but once I did it as easy. I rarely drank anything else. You just have to find what works for you, whether it's drinking ice cold filtered water, water from a sports bottle, etc.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1) Fill cup with water.
    2) Drink
    3) Repeat Steps 1 & 2 seven more times.

:)
    lmao!! i actually carry a 24 oz Camelbak with me to make it more convenient :wink: