How am I supposed to drink 8 cups of water!

Options

Replies

• kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    LOL i could get 8 cups down in 5 minutes if i really wanted. i average around 16 cups a day. get into it. it's YUMMYYYYYY!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So it says to drink 8cups of water... i dont drink tea or coffee or carbinated drinks. Maybe some juice or powerade but very rarely will i have more than one cup of water in a day! To take my medication in morning and night its only one or two sips, not a whole cup. I cant go to sleep within 30mins of drinking water.
    How am i supposed to fit in 8 cups of water a day? Does anyone actually do this?

I had nine cups in before noon yesterday. Just fill a cup or keep a bottle at your desk at all times and takes sips through the day.

I used to hate water, but started forcing myself to drink it and now I love it.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it was hard for me at first. Then I just got used to it. Now if I leave home without my water bottle I have to stop a buy a bottle. I drink 12-14 glasses a day..
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    So it says to drink 8cups of water... i dont drink tea or coffee or carbinated drinks. Maybe some juice or powerade but very rarely will i have more than one cup of water in a day! To take my medication in morning and night its only one or two sips, not a whole cup. I cant go to sleep within 30mins of drinking water.
    How am i supposed to fit in 8 cups of water a day? Does anyone actually do this?

No, no one actually ever gets in 8 cups of water. Seriously? You make a change, you start drinking a tall glass (~16 oz) every morning with breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon and with dinner. And if you're working out, you'll probably drink some during and after your workout. 8 glasses is only 64 ounces, really it's not much. Buck up!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink over 12 cups of water every day. I have observed that it helps me lose weight quickly and keeps me detoxed.

Best way to go about drinking water is that you drink 2 glasses upon waking up. At work or school, keep a sipper full of water and keep drinking water all day long. You will be hydrated and lose weight quickly!
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to sit at the computer and mindlessly munch on candy. Now I sit at the computer and mindlessly sip on my water bottle. I firmly recommend the latter course. I was a hard-core Diet Coke drinker. I think I went through a case a week. Giving that up really helped because it was not leaving room for the water. I now drink only water and sometimes unsweet tea. Sometime I add Mio to my water if I get bored.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you just don't like the taste of water, try adding a packet of true lemon, lime or orange . It's 100% natural with no sugar and no calories, or even crystal light with artifical flavors. We have bottled water here and one bottle is 500ml which is about .5 liters, so if you drink one with each meal and snacks, you will get your intake w/o thinking about it.
  • PauliesGettingFit
    Options
    Glass of water when you wake up

Glass of water immediately before breakfast, then one straight after

drink another one before a piece of fruit

glass of water immediately before lunch, then one straight after

glass of water immediately before dinner then one straight after

1 glass before bed

and carry a big bottle with you while your doing stuff..

thats at least 8..
  • MarieAnneN
    Options

To ease it in start with this :
    1 glass in the morning before breakfast
    1 glass before lunch
    1 glasse before dinner
    1 glass before bed

You then already have 4.

Just add one in the middle of each period and you will go with 8 by pouring a new glass everything you have one to drink between meals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    8 cups seems alot to me, i could never go and refill my glass 8 times a day! soo what i do is get 4 normal size bottles, fill them up with water and stick them in the fridge! then i carry a bottle around with me in the house, when its finished i go grab another. and thats 4 cups of water down already! easy peasy =)

Most water bottles are at least 16oz, so if they are, then you are getting 8 cups a day.

Many drinking glasses are 12-16 oz, too. So 8 cups isn't refilling your glass 8 times. I make up a pitcher of diluted Crystal Light and drink at least one half-gallon pitcher a day, sometimes two. I seem to be able to drink more when I drink from a 32oz bottle... In fact, I drank 32 oz while reading this post. 4 cups down!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I found it hard at first, but now I do manage the 8 cups. Here's how I did it:

- I define a "cup" as around a cup measurement wise, not a huge glass!
    - I avoid all drinks except water (and the occasional tea). I prefer to eat my calories :)
    - I have made it a routine - 2 cups with each meal, one with each snack, two after workout out.

Hope this helps :)
  • myth4ever
    Options
    It is easy after you get going..... Try sipping from a straw
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, a cup of water is only 250 ml- which is not very much at all. You could try to drink a cup every hour, or every time a commercial comes on. Make it a game. Spread it out. Measure it with a measuring cup. It's really not that much. make it a game- measure it, and for every liter you drink, allocate 1 dollar to spend on something nice for yourself. I like to make things into games (losing weight, drinking water, chores, whatever). :)
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    8 glasses is not necessarily what YOUR body needs. It’s only a recommendation. What you really need to be watching is the color of your urine (pee) if it is bright yellow almost brown that means that you are VERY dehydrated. Clear urine would be the ultimate goal. But slight yellowing is ok range. So once again you have to pay attention to YOUR body. For some it may take more then 8 glasses to clear their urine, others much more.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just remember... 8 CUPS is not the same as 8 glasses. A "cup" is a lot less than you think...
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't know why everyone takes this drinking water thing so seriously on MFP. It actually has no health benefits compared to just drinking water when you're thirsty.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Its probably a good idea to drink some water when you're hungry just to see if its actually hunger or thirst, but otherwise it doesn't benefit you

In the above article it says "the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide."
    And
    "There is no clear evidence of benefit from drinking increased amounts of water."
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I can actually understand where the OP is coming from...before starting to care about what I put in my body, I struggled with fluid intake as well, I just didn't need to drink a lot, and strangely I was never dehydrated.

But a few years ago age caught up to me and I started NEEDING the water. It's still a daily struggle to get it all sometimes, esp. b/c I get a 3PM sugar craving and want Coke or Pepsi, but I just set rules for myself. I have to get at least half my water in before I can have any soda or juice. I bought a Nalgene bottle that holds 32 ounces and when I think about only having to finish 2 of those a day, it's much more doable. I keep it on my desk at work, and when I'm consistent with it, I start craving water instead of soda when I'm thirsty.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 15-20 cups of water per day. I down a couple at a time.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I normally drink a minimum of 10 a day. I did that even before trying to lose weight. Get some bottled water [generally 16.9 oz], only have to drink 4 of them throughout the day to get your 8 cups. Just sip on it while you're at work or school [idk anything about you, lol] or whatever. Add lemon if you need extra flavor in it. I wake up every morning and have a glass of warm water with lemon, there's an easy way to get 8oz in first thing & jump start your body.
  • daisynsunshine
    Options
    most water bottles are 16.9 ozs so theres 2- 8ozs there. have one at breakfast, lunch, dinner and while working out= 8 cups. if you do this a week or 2 you will soon notice you need more lol