How am I supposed to drink 8 cups of water!

Options

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i have a 64 oz mug that i fill with ice water every morning. i sip on it throughout the day, and sometimes end up refilling it
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!

I usually have at least 9-12 cups per day.

I make sure I drink 2-3 upon getting up and one with or after breakfast.

Then I keep a water bottle that holds 3 cups on hand and try to drink it 2-3 more times one by lunch/early afternoon. one around dinner and one before bed :)
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks actually drink more. 8 cups is just a marketing gimic / rule of thumb. To determine how much water you should be drinking use this calculator. There are lots of factors. It is hard to do for about 3 days but after that you become reaquainted with thirst and after about 3 weeks, you don't know how you ever lived without it. And there are so many benefits. You just can't imagine.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Drink up!
  • nonstopfeisty
    nonstopfeisty Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So it says to drink 8cups of water... i dont drink tea or coffee or carbinated drinks. Maybe some juice or powerade but very rarely will i have more than one cup of water in a day! To take my medication in morning and night its only one or two sips, not a whole cup. I cant go to sleep within 30mins of drinking water.
    How am i supposed to fit in 8 cups of water a day? Does anyone actually do this?

I eat six small meals a day and I drink a glass of water with at least four of my meals. 1 glass for me equals two cups of water. I also drink a glass after exercising. I usually drink Tea or a Diet soda with my dinner and I rarely drink anything with my evening snack unless it's crackers or something then I hit the water again. It sounds like a lot but, it's really not that much. I don't feel bloated or anything drinking my water this way.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Lol. I was told by my doctor that I drink TOO much water (upwards of 8 LITERS a day.)

I can't imagine how anyone can not drink enough.

8 litres... wow, that's dangerous, I'm glad you talked to the doctor about it!
    Water is essential - but not that much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    One cup at a time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aaabdallah
    Options
    For what it's worth, here's a link exploring the "8 cups of water a day" recommendation... its history I mean.

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/07/return-8x8-myth

The Prophet of Islam has a famous recommendation regarding eating and drinking:

http://www.java-man.com/pages/JamiAlUloom/hadith_47.html

For more information: http://www.java-man.com/pages/JamiAlUloom/hadith_47.html
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 at least.
    How?

You just do it!
  • wittlewacey
    Options
    I used to be just like this! I hated the filling effect of water and I could never down it. It's much easier to just gradually consume more and more. Bottles are extremely convenient for this. As of right now, it's hard for you to consume one cup. There are approximately two cups in a standard bottle of water and it's really easy to sip from this throughout your day. Keep water bottles in your fridge so that whenever you make your meals you can grab a water and finish it with your meal. You could keep one by your desk or nearby when you're at home. If you're aiming towards 8oz a day, work your way up to 4 bottles! You can do it, it's easier than you think :)

PS. Keep a couple handy when you work out! They diminish like crazy when you feel yourself getting a good workout!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    no need for calculators, or advice here. jusy grab a large glass and go for it, lol.

i have a 1.5L bottle on my desk at work. i empty it twice in a day. :)
    quite easy when its sitting in front of you i reckon
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's really not that hard. I never liked water, but now I love it! You get used to it:smile:
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I average between 8-12cups a day plus coofee tea and any soda I may drink. I always have water around and in the warmer months I'll drink at least a gallon a day. I love it and love our well water, so I drink a lot.

It's important for flushing out the toxins as your cleans itself up.

Our well water is just nasty...Have to have a water softner and use the rust out salt. YUK. Must be nice to have good well water. I have to buy drinking water or I'd never get any drank. LOL I still have trouble getting all my water. At least in the winter...much easier in the summer, esp when I'm bucking hay in 90 degree weather.
  • Jenelle80
    Options
    I have a 1.5 ltr water bottle that I take with me everywhere, and constantly sip out of it. I fill it twice, so I'm getting 3ltrs a day all up.
    I find I'm not as hungry during the day as I would be if I wasn't drinking so much. It helps with weight loss, and also great for your skin! My skin has never looked so good!!
    it is hard to get use to drinking so much water when your not use to it, but eventually it just becomes normal. And your body will love you for it!!
  • SheritaMack
    Options
    You can do it. Your body will thank you for it. I was like that once and I tried drinking a cup every 2 hours on some days I get up to 10 cups on average between 6 and 8.:happy:
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I drink way more than 8, I love tap water by itself straight out of the tap, actually prefer it over fridge or bottled water. A few months back I was really thirsty and just found myself to be drinking more water and dropped 2kg without even trying. So I've kept up with the water and everything is better.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Make it a habit. Today I slipped because of circumstances, but if I get a 20+ oz bottle of cold water before breakfast the habit flows (sorry, pun).

To add a little flavour have a low cal mint first, or lemon + lime into the water.

When walking I would half fill bottle with water and freeze it, then top it up the next morning before the walk.
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I average 9-12 cups a day...it's a habit, it's all I drink, and it makes me feel wonderful.

I found that I have to use the same glass throughout the day and have some way to mark how many times I've refilled/emptied it. I've used rubber bands at the top of the glass that holds 1.5 cups and I move one rubber band down every time I empty it. If I don't do something like this then I lose track and find that those are the days I drink less.
  • gyp5ym00n
    Options
    I love water. I drink it all day long. To make sure your drinking enough, measure out your 8 cups so you can see right in front of you how much you have to go. If you have water by your side at all times you will be surprised how quickly it goes down. I drink 2-3x my daily amount most days. After you get used to drinking water a lot, in my experience, you don't have to pee so much. You get used to it after awhile.
  • thebigbige
    thebigbige Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You're actually are supposed to drink .5 an ounce of water for every pound you weigh, which means that I'm drinking over a gallon of water a day.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    lol the same way I drank 14 cups today :P and used to drink up to 21 cups. Just keep drinking...always keep a bottle with you.