What do *you* put hummus on?

Options

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I love hummus in sandwiches or a wrap (I usually do veggies and hummus in there and sometimes a slice of part skim mozzarella or crumbled feta). Also works well on crackers (my favorite for this is wheat thins, usually the reduced fat kind), cut up veggies (my favorite is carrots. Grape tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, and cucumber slices also work well for this). I also occasionally stir some into brown rice to make a quick side dish with dinner, yum.

Need to try some of the ideas posted, some of them I haven't had before and they sound good.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just FYI...it is super easy and cheap to make yourself too. I have a great recipe if you want it let me know!

I'd love to hear your recipe!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    This reminds me... I made a batch of roasted red bell pepper and garlic hummus the other day and used it in a 3 egg omelette along with fresh green squash, tomato and mushrooms. Yum!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I dip my veggies in it. Also crackers and pita chips. (Pretty much what everyone else said...)
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Houmous is one of the best sandwich fillers, or dips around :-) It is best if homemade and fresh add a little lemon on top with olives or sweet peppers or chill peppers or or or .... yum!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    OMG what don't I put hummus on is the question:

- Pita chips
    - Whole wheat pita
    - All sorts of veggies
    - As spread for sandwich instead of mayo
    - Rolled in turkey deli meat

Endless possibilities

Everything this person said minus the turkey (I don't eat land animals. LOL)
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this!! i love love love hummus i have chick peas floating in the cupboard that NEED to be made into hummus quite fancy it now but shall wait untill tomorrow lunch time :happy:

i love it with veggies or just by itself
  • tstevy19
    tstevy19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches mostly :) I have Celiac disease so everything I eat is gluten-free. So at work to make things easier for myself I stuff the cupboard with lunch making foods. To make a great tasting and filling sandwich I start out by toasting my gfree Ener-G tapioca bread, putting hummus on one slice and yellow mustard on the other, then adding turkey and lettuce. I know it sounds weird but I think it tastes great.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As the "sauce" in a whole wheat wrap crammed with veggies and falafels

on crackers/pita chips
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been eating hummus for a while. Usually dipping Special K crackers in it or Tostitos black bean artisan chips, but since I am watching carbs, this week I started dipping red, orange, and green peppers in hummus, very yummy!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love putting it on an omelette... or make an egg sandwich - egg, turkey bacon, and hummus on toast. Sounds kinda weird but it's AMAZING.
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    puffed spelt cakes. yum
    I love black bean hummus.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    toasted pita bread
    bell pepper
    sandwiches instead of mayo
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've found I really like it on jicama! If it's got a bit of kick, it makes a good condiment on bean-burgers.
  • Rocnut
    Rocnut Posts: 19
    Options
    I use the cilantro jalapeno hummus from costco as a samich spread. Instead of mayo and mustard (etc)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    OMG what don't I put hummus on is the question:

That was literally my first thought when I read the title. My second thought was "the cat" (sticky fur == angry kitten). Seriously though, any raw veggies, celery and cucumber are my favorites. Sandwiches--hummus, lettuce, and tomato rocks my world. Cooked veggies (think steamed broccoli). Mixed with a little lemon juice on salad instead of dressing (it's not light by any means, but it's pretty healthy). Sometimes instead of pasta sauce. I also like hummus on spoon (don't try to eat the spoon though, it's bad for your teeth).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I bought some for the first time today because everyone on MFP talks about how awesome it is. I totally agree! Thing is, I put roasted red pepper hummus on a whole wheat bagel thin and I don't think the bagel really brought out the flavor of the hummus like it should have.

So my question is what do you all put hummus on? Need some ideas!

My favorites are fresh baby carrots and whole wheat crackers. Sometimes I just dip my finger in it and eat it plain, lol.
  • aahmed77
    Options
    Triscuits or the flatbread when making a wrap (instead of using mayo).
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Burrito's, sandwiches, veggies, there is so much you can do!
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    EVERYTHING !!! LOVE IT
    I actually work for the best Hummus producer in the world,.......Garden Fresh Salsa in Ferndale Michigan.

We produce tons of hummus and ship it all across the country under the Garden Fresh label, Whole foods hummus is from us,.....Margaritaville,.....yup that's us too,.......Publix Private Label, and ALdi,.....all yummy and all made here.

Favorites are Roasted Red Pepper and Greek,......I use it as a dip, carrots and low fat triscuits are my favs. I also use it as a spread on pita sandwiches or chicken kabob wraps.
    It is a terrific source of protein,......but I eat it in moderation due to the fat. Can you imagine the temptation of having it all day right outside my office ????? :o)