What do *you* put hummus on?

Options

Replies

• slayerdan
    Options
    Flatouts.....best thing ever. Or the sandwich flats put out by Arnold......the best snack ever in terms of fiber, low carb, and protein.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love it on so many things, like all the things listed before me and I also love it on veggie chips from the whole foods market. They are dried pieces of veggies........ beets, potatoes, carrots, green beans, etc... Even better than fritoes and bean dip........... Some hummus is so much better than others also. Of course the ones that seem to be extra yummy are extra calories as well. But worth it!
    Also I am not sure if anyone mentioned Wasa flat bread.......... like very thin long crackers......... 35 calories a cracker.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just bought some of that brand at the Whole foods market yesterday............ havent tryed it yet. Makes me want to check it out now........ I love hummus so much, it seems like I could just snort it. lol
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yum! On veggies, on sandwiches/wraps (instead of using mayo). I saw a recipe for hummus soup in a book recently that I wanted to try. I imagine it would work with pretty much anything (as long as it isn't sweet - doesn't seem like a winning combo to me!)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Mmm...my rule of thumb is that if it doesn't move, you can put hummus on it.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    OMG what don't I put hummus on is the question:

- Pita chips
    - Whole wheat pita
    - All sorts of veggies
    - As spread for sandwich instead of mayo
    - Rolled in turkey deli meat

Endless possibilities

I agree with the using it as a sandwich spread. In that same vein, I use it as the "binder" for my tuna or chicken salad.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING !!! LOVE IT
    I actually work for the best Hummus producer in the world,.......Garden Fresh Salsa in Ferndale Michigan.

We produce tons of hummus and ship it all across the country under the Garden Fresh label, Whole foods hummus is from us,.....Margaritaville,.....yup that's us too,.......Publix Private Label, and ALdi,.....all yummy and all made here.

Favorites are Roasted Red Pepper and Greek,......I use it as a dip, carrots and low fat triscuits are my favs. I also use it as a spread on pita sandwiches or chicken kabob wraps.
    It is a terrific source of protein,......but I eat it in moderation due to the fat. Can you imagine the temptation of having it all day right outside my office ????? :o)

Margaritaville?! You make the BEST Chipotle Garlic Salsa, I fell in LOVE with it when I was in SoCal last year. Guess what? They don't have it up here in Oregon...
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits! With Artichoke & Katamala hummus!
  • LibbyBelanger
    LibbyBelanger Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use it on EVERYTHING. I use it instead of butter, or mayo.....Any Kind will do.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Hummus (even flavored) is super economical and easy to make yourself.

I eat it with veggies, with thick warm pita bread, on black bean chips, rice crackers, spelt cakes, Wasa crackers (it's really a flat bread), with avocado, onion, and tomato on toasted rice cakes (trust me, toasting rice cakes actually makes them good. Works for popcoen cakes, too), in schwarma ( grilled lamb or beef with grilled tomato, onion, cucumber, and zucchini tucked into warm taboon bread and drizzled with extra tahini).

The possibilities are really endless.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    Anyone have a yummy recipe for hummus? I just got a new mini food processor that would be perfect for it!!
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Use instead of mayo....
    use as a veggie dip....
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i put it on you
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Veggies and chapati mostly but I could honestly eat it with a spoon :0)
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    I put it on sandwiches. It goes great with cucumber and whole grain bread.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If I don't have many calories spare I'll enjoy dipping pepper sticks, celery, carrot batons & cucumber sticks into it.

If I can afford the calories, I toast a piece of heavily seeded wholemeal bread and slather hummous onto it, YUM - and very filling too.

Several British supermarkets do lower fat versions, but in any case the flavoured varieties (eg roasted red pepper, or roasted onion) tend to be lower calorie, simply because a substantial part of their makeup isn't hummous! :bigsmile:

EDITED TO ADD: It's a source of regret that I can no longer serve it garnished with a hefty slug of extra virgin olive oil, but that doubles the calories. Not worth it, apart from an exceptional treat, even on maintenance calories.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    everything!
    *twirls in a circle and skips away*
    love hummus.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    You have to buy a good brand thought like Sabra.

I bought a Safeway/Dominicks (generic) brand and a Sabra hummus last night. The pine nut Hummus Sabra is WAY better than the generic brand.

Also, is very tasty with salted pita chips!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Stupid double post
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'd put it on anything, but just yesterday I put it on a slice of marble rye and WOW was that good together.

I'd also add that I tried a variation (I don't buy hummus when I'm at home, just puree chickpeas with some garlic, tahini and a little olive oil) a little while back and it was amazing. Instead of tahini, I put cumin, coriander, and cinnamon for a morroccan twist. So, so tasty.