Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't see how posting this was hypocritical. I don't want children to have to go through what I had to go through, that's it. Judging from your posts, taramaureen, you seem to be an angry individual and I'm not going to get into a childish argument match with you.

I've been a part of this community for a while now and know that just because someone is here it doesn't automatically mean they are eating healthy and feeding their families healthy foods. If starting a post gets a few people thinking about making some changes then awesome. If it reaches no one, then that's ok, at least I tried. That is doing something. I also volunteer at the local food bank and try to help others learn more about nutrition. I'm doing what I can right now.

I know you'll be tempted to retort with something biting and probably rude, but I hope you refrain. I really don't have any ill will against you and don't want to argue with you. I'm not here for that. :)

I think it's hypocritical because you obviously need to clean up your own house first so to speak. Clean yourself up, then actually do something about what you're passionate about. Anything else is being a slacktivist.

One doesn't have to be a perfect person to try and make a difference. :) I don't need to be at my goal weight to share my story and to try and help keep kids from going through what I went through.

Making a difference does not entail railing parents on the internet. Why don't you try petitioning the schools for healthier meals? Or lobbying for better nutritional education for low income families?

I havn't read through this whole post, but I just want to say that you can't trust the schools or the government to step in and take care of peoples kids. It's the parents responsibility. The "healthy" meals at school are garbage, I know I was in public school not so many years ago. The food groups are twisted...tater tots are a veggie? Parents have a huge influence on their children's health and lifestyle. I know when I am a parent I won't be feeding my toddler french fries...I had a friend who did that and her baby was over 60lbs by his 2nd birthday. It's sick to put a child through that.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. When i was a kid my dad would buy us candy and soda just to "make us happy". I was 180 pounds by the time i was 14. I turned it around after that. Other then being fat I didn't know the health risk associated with all the sugar and junk. After i learned the dangers and found myself disgusted by my image, i decided to make a change.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    i
  • Marla64
    Options
    think
  • Marla64
    Options
    i
  • Marla64
    Options
    can
  • Marla64
    Options
    roll
  • Marla64
    Options
    this
  • Marla64
    Options
    so
  • Marla64
    Options
    i
  • Marla64
    Options
    don't
  • Marla64
    Options
    have
  • Marla64
    Options
    to
  • Marla64
    Options
    see
  • Marla64
    Options
    it
  • Marla64
    Options
    anymore.
  • Marla64
    Options
    merry
  • Marla64
    Options
    Christmas
  • Marla64
    Options
    everyone
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    As parents we are here to guide our children. We are the first to define the values they learn. Most importantly we show them by our own example. So if we are not making good food choices ourselves, no matter what we say or no matter how much broccoli we shove at them, they will do exactly what they see us do. So I have been focused on setting a better example for them in how active I am everyday and how hard I try to make the healthiest food choices. Do I hit the mark everyday? NO! But everyday, I give it my best effort. We don't live our lives in a vacuum, they are influence by media and friends. All I can try to control is what happens in my home and where and when I spend my food dollars. My eating was out of control so I have had to set up healthier parameters for myself and that has had a positive impact on my entire family. What I have learned and try to practice daily is that life is not either/or, its about balance and moderation. This is what I try to teach my children.

7838983.png